Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: TCP 738 reliability enhancements

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

TCP 738 reliability enhancements

Hello,

I purchased a Taurus TCP 738 .380 a couple months ago and recently made a few small refinements that help the little pistol cycle much better.

Admittedly, I’m a tried and true 1911 guy and know very well how to make a 1911 hum so I decided to try a few small improvements to the “clunky” TCP .

I broke the sharp corner of the MIM extractor claw that was digging into my ammo case bevels:

I rounded off the sharp corner on the back of the slide stop lever to remove the offending metal that interfered with ammo as it cycled from the magazine into the barrel.

I polished down all the heavy tool mark on the barrel that dragged across the slide as the slide cycled.

These three small improvements transformed a clunky little pistol into a smooth cycling kitten.

Best regards
    Eric

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2100 times

Re: TCP 738 reliability enhancements

Very interesting! Thanx for posting this info!
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    2734 times

Now, I'll have to go back and look at my 738. Nice work Egumpher.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

Hello and thank you for the kind words.....

The slide stop and extractor mods make the biggest difference. To be honest, the extractor mod is an old 1911 trick but the slide stop mod is a true TCP only enhancement.

Rgds
    Eric
    Chickamauga likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2734 times

I went back and looked at my 738 and your first two mods will be performed on my 738 soon. Also, I think you have addressed something that has been bothering me for a while. Some folks are reporting that their Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) is not working, but they are experiencing no extractor issues. It may be that the extractor is holding the round slightly off the breech face thus not engaging the LCI. Your second mod to the slide release may also address some ammo feed issues that are being reported.

Taurus should probably add this mod to any 738's coming back for LCI, extractor or feed issues.

Suggest the Forum Moderator make this a stickie.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70
    It may be that the extractor is holding the round slightly off the breech face
    Hello,

Having the case not sit flush with the breech face will also promote light primer strikes because the firing pin needs to travel beyond its normal travel. This condition might contribute to the failure to fire that some TCP experience.

Rgds
    Eric
    Chickamauga likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Eric,
    Man...I wish you had posted this a few weeks ago! I recently sent my TCP back to Florida with extractor issues and I wonder if these mods could have solved my issues (FTE spent casing and next round in magazine becoming stuck). In any event...how did you "brake" off the parts? Did you have to disassemble the extractor? Did you use a Dremel or hand files, etc? Thanks for sharing this info with us!
    Ian
    1759bob likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

Hello,

I used my jewelers files and Arkansas stones for both the extractor and slide stop while both were still installed in the slide.

And a little TLC............

Rgds
    Eric

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks Eric. Hopefully I will not need to do this when the pistol returns from Florida...but I will keep this in mind in case I still have issues.

Member #
    Liked
    2734 times

Well, took my 738 apart to go over it with these mods. My barrel doesn't have any machine marks on it so I didn't feel a need to polish it. I looked at the slide and it looks like the edges were broken when they put it together, but I buffed it with a small felt wheel and jeweler's rouge on the lower edge where it had been filed. Then I looked at the slide release and ran my magazines through it to see how they were mating up and decided to only knock off the top edges and leave the lower side where it contacts the mag follower alone (I wanted to leave as much contact area as possible so the slide locks back when empty) and then buffed the it with the felt wheel.

Actually, I feel pretty good about my 738, after looking at it in terms of these mods, as I realize that the gunsmith who built it spent some time with it and did a good job.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Links