Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PT709 Failure To Eject

Had my PT709 Slim about a week and I can't get a magazine through it without at least 2 to 3 failures to eject. And it is not a quick clear problem. I have to forcefully hold the slide back and reach in to push back on the next round in the magazine to get the magazine to drop out so I can get the empty casing out. Anybody having this issue and if so have you come up with a solution. This is happening with WWB 115gr FMJ and with Federal 115gr FMJ and also with Gold Dot 124gr JHP.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: PT709 Failure To Eject

Same as mine, sent back to Taurus, back again and had 3 FTE out of 100 rounds. Exactly as you described, dangerous to safe a loaded gun with fingers inside. When weather clears am taking out again with WWB and Rem. Have tried American, Blazer brass and steel and Monarch. You need to send that weapon back, my opinon, and if mine fails again in next 100 rounds it's going back again. I own 4 other Taurus weapons, this is disappointing.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your 709. I would definitely send it back to Taurus, I bought a PT709 Slim a couple of weeks ago, and just last weekend I put 200 rounds through it. I was shooting 115 gr Federal FMJ (150), and 115 gr Remington JHP (50) and I had 0 FTEs and only one FTF. In the first 75 rounds or so, there were 2-3 bullets that required the second strike trigger pull though.

These models have had a lot of trouble with their extractors since the first few came off of the production line. Don't give up on the gun yet, it's an awesome little piece if you get one that works correctly. Sounds like a very frustrating problem, but maybe they'll get it right when you send it in this time.

I'm going to put a couple hundred more rounds through it as soon as I can afford to buy the extra ammo. I'll keep you posted if I have any problems.
    My Taurus Firearms

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you all for the input. It is very disappointing because I loved the look, feel, accuracy, and function of the gun when it performed correctly. I also loved the slim design for conceal carry. I am however now scared to carry this gun for personal defense purposes due to it's malfunctions. Though I understand that new gun designs sometimes have kinks that have to be worked out I lost my faith in this gun to perform as my conceal carry gun. I have traded this gun in on a Glock 26 sub compact 9mm. Maybe in a year or two when Taurus has worked out all the kinks I will revisit a new model.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I had the same problem last fall. I sent it back to Taurus. Since then I have fired over 250 rounds without any FTE's, or for that matter any problems. I think they have them fixed now. It seems many of the first guns had this FTE issue.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Anybody know what they fix on these when they go back? Is it something easy that we can do on our own? I know it's warranty but hate to be w/o EDC while it's gone.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've had three problems with my 709. 1. trigger springs were bad strait out. 2-3 same problem, FTE caused by burr on the bottom of extractor, you can actually see, reoccurence. Also it's back to have the barrel replaced, I'm beginning to wonder if I got a Lemon. I've used several brands and have same fte problems concurrently. It's been at Taurus for 2 1/2 weeks. I hate being without, but more so, can I trust this weapon with my life?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorndove View Post
    I've had three problems with my 709. 1. trigger springs were bad strait out. 2-3 same problem, FTE caused by burr on the bottom of extractor, you can actually see, reoccurence. Also it's back to have the barrel replaced, I'm beginning to wonder if I got a Lemon. I've used several brands and have same fte problems concurrently. It's been at Taurus for 2 1/2 weeks. I hate being without, but more so, can I trust this weapon with my life?
    No comment on the trigger spring but I had the ejector problem too. I bought a new ejector from Taurus and replaced it myself with no FTE problems since. Ejector R&R is a 10 minute job after you've done it once.

But I'm curious about your barrel. Why is it being replaced? Taurus replaced my barrel in response to low/left complaints (and also replaced front sight) but never said why.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm glad so many of you have had similar results. I just got my 709 back late last week. I had a bad extractor, trigger springs and a barrel replaced. I'm hoping to get out and give it a try this weekend. Taurus does stand behind there products so I'm not too concerned in that area. I just want to know that when I need it, it will be there for me. According to Taurus they believe it was a dimension problem, I'm hoping that's the end of the problems for awhile. My Ruger SR9 has never had any kind of problem. They don't offer the warranty that Taurus does.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    They claimed the barrel was the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links