Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Barrel replacement: factory - other

Due to a stupid mistake I have to replace the barrel on my PT1911. I feel like I should replace it with a Taurus factory barrel ($80 out of stock). Is it worth an extra $100+ for a custom match barrel? Taurus PT1911 are advertised as match grade.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Barrel replacement: factory - other

Hmmmmmm, what was the mistake? Back to the original question, ask yourself if it is worth the extra money to get your 45 back on the road in a timely manor. Who knows, with the current rush on production, you could have to wait for several, several months on a barrel.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I had to wait 11 months for my PT145 barrel. Coy1369 hit the nail on the head. Gun manufacturers can't make them fast enough to satisfy the demand. The end product takes precedence over parts replacement on the production line. That's a fact of life.
    45ACP - when you care enough to send the very best!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3955 times

Quote Originally Posted by dead primer
    The end product takes precedence over parts replacement on the production line.
    I've seen something like that with North American Arms this last year. They weren't taking new gun custom orders. You had to buy the standard gun and send it back to them for custom work.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2279 times

Before worrying about how long it will take to get one, you might consider calling them and asking if they are in stock. Taurus PT1911 Barrels are Match Grade. You can always pay more, but I doubt you'll get better.

Also, some aftermarket barrels have to be fitted. The Rear Hood above the Chamber must be Matched to the Lug Play between the Slide Lugs and Barrel Lugs, and this is done by grinding/filing that barrel hood till the lug engagements are correct. Also, the barrel underlug may require fitting.

The one Aftermarket Barrel that I like is sold by Sarco and is their Roto-Forged 1911 Match Barrel. They should still have them! It will most likely require fitting!

Also, you might find out if the Taurus Replacement Barrel requires fitting. They may not warranty anyone elses work if it does require fitting. Hopefully, it will just be a drop in fit. With all of these questions, you should call Taurus CS and get the answers straight from them.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I'm just curious. Are you by chance the same Mark that posted the reassembly problem on another site?
    Share the stupid mistake with us so we don't make it also.
    At my age, I have to learn from other peoples' mistakes because I'm not going to live long enough to make them all.
    He who beats his sword into plowshares will plow for those that don't.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Not the same.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

hummmmmmmmm, must have been a REAL STUPID mistake. Don't be ashamed to tell us what you did. besides, you couldn't even hear us laughing at you.

Member #
    Liked
    2981 times

Their is no drop-in barrel for the PT-1911, or any other 1911 for that matter. One of the salient selling points for the PT-1911 is the fact that it's barrel is "hand fit". Whatever you replace it with just make sure you have a good smith "fit" it, otherwise it will never be as accurate as the original. IMO there are two areas where you don't try to do it yourself, but find the best smith you can to do it. One is the barrel fit and the other it tuning the hammer, disconnecter, sear fit. And you want a true 1911 gunsmith, not some shade tree smith.

With the 1911 design, it is the smith that makes a pistol a quality piece, not the parts. A great smith can make an above average 1911 out of cheap parts, but a poor smith can not make a good 1911 out the best quality parts. That's why there is such a market for custom 1911's. Check around and you will find the best 1911's are made by the best smiths and parts are a secondary concern.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    886 times

If you go with a smith, check out Nelson Ford at www.thegunsmith.com. Great work and a 30 day turnaround. I have not had him work on a 1911, but he did wonders with a Smith revolver for us. No, I have no affiliation, I am just a well satisfied client.
    War is God's way of teaching American people geography. .... Ambrose Bierce

NRA & Texas State Rifle Association Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links