Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Installing adjustable sights on the PT 92

I'm thinking of installing a set of PSI adjustable sights on my PT 92. The web site says they are designed for the PT 92/99/100/101/PT 58 so they should fit.
    I'd like to get a gunsmith to do it but the nearest one is over 40 miles away so I'm wondering if it's something I could try myself. I'm no gunsmith, but I have assembled a couple of the old CVA revolver kits back in the day. I found an article on installing Millet rear sights on a PT 92 and it seems a pretty straightforward proposition.
    My question is: how do I keep the Automatic Firing Pin Lock and Retention Cup from shooting out during the procedure?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2099 times

Re: Installing adjustable sights on the PT 92

You don't! But you can avoid losing them by gradually drifting off the original Rear Sight, from left to right, by doing it gradually in a large box to contain the mayhem. Your workbench should also be clean and un-cluttered. You can definitely do it yourself if you are careful!

After you've moved the PT92's Rear Sight about 3/8's of an inch, you'll see the top of the Retention Cup and then you have to be more watchful.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by Casual shooter
    I'm thinking of installing a set of PSI adjustable sights on my PT 92. The web site says they are designed for the PT 92/99/100/101/PT 58 so they should fit.
    Have you considered ordering a PT99 rear sight assembly from Taurus? It's a pretty decent adjustable sight.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk
    Have you considered ordering a PT99 rear sight assembly from Taurus? It's a pretty decent adjustable sight.
    I may have to look into that. I kind of like the look of the PT 99 sight better, it doesn't stick out over the hammer like the PSI sight does. Thanks for the suggestion.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jwc007
    You don't! But you can avoid losing them by gradually drifting off the original Rear Sight, from left to right, by doing it gradually in a large box to contain the mayhem. Your workbench should also be clean and un-cluttered. You can definitely do it yourself if you are careful!

After you've moved the PT92's Rear Sight about 3/8's of an inch, you'll see the top of the Retention Cup and then you have to be more watchful.
    Thanks for the information, I'll definitely have to do that once I decide which sight to use. How hard is it to reinstall them once the new sight is partially on?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2099 times

Won't work! The PT99's Slide is grooved to accept a stabilizing extension in front of the Taurus Adjustable Rear Sight. Machining a PT92's Slide to accept it, and Drilling & Tapping for the screws would most likely be cost prohibitive, and not to mention a Royal PITA!

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Won't work! The PT99's Slide is grooved to accept a stabilizing extension in front of the Taurus Adjustable Rear Sight. Machining a PT92's Slide to accept it, and Drilling & Tapping for the screws would most likely be cost prohibitive, and not to mention a Royal PITA!
    That's what I get for posting before I took a good look at the sight on my '99. Thanks for correcting my misinformation.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for posting this before I made a call to Taurus. The PSI sights are looking pretty attractive right now.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2099 times

That's what I get for posting before I took a good look at the sight on my '99. Thanks for correcting my misinformation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual shooter
    Thanks for posting this before I made a call to Taurus. The PSI sights are looking pretty attractive right now.
    You are most Welcome!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

How did those psi sights work out? I just ordered One.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links