Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus Model 450

My Taurus model 450 in 45 long colt shoots 4 1/2 inces high at 11 yds. It groups nicely with the load I have chosen
    (255 gr Keith style cast bullet ahead of 8 1/2 grs of Unique). The bbl has three ports on either side of the front sight.
    Would it be possible to mill a grove for a patridge type front sight disregarding the grooves and milling right thru them?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    23827 times

Re: Taurus Model 450

I'm not sure I quite follow what you mean?
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2397 times

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit hunter
    Would it be possible to mill a grove for a patridge type front sight disregarding the grooves and milling right thru them?
    If I understand you correctly, you want to mill out a dovetail where the front sight is pinned in.

Were I you, I would experiment with different, in your case higher, front sight blades that will be just pinned in. Should be a much simpler solution.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

jwc007- I wish it was as simple as removig a pin. My 450ss has a ramp frt sight that is integral part of the bbl, not pinned. Therefore the blade must be milled off before a dovetail can be put in for a patridge sight. A good gunsmith can calculate the correct frt sight height necessary, given the required change of impact point at the given range. I doubt there is enough bbl material to put in a pinned sight.
    In my previous post sustitute "ports" where I said "grooves".

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2397 times

I doubt that you can get what you want, but try to consult a custom Pistolsmith in your area. While there may not be enough existing material to work with, the Welding on of more material may be possible. I doubt the work will be cost effective (cheap) but look into it anyways. You may also consider some mod work on the rear sight, such as it is.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by jwc007
    I doubt that you can get what you want, but try to consult a custom Pistolsmith in your area. While there may not be enough existing material to work with, the Welding on of more material may be possible. I doubt the work will be cost effective (cheap) but look into it anyways. You may also consider some mod work on the rear sight, such as it is.
    Unless the rear sight notch is already flush with the bottom of the sight, I'd remove a little material there before I'd try to change the front sight. I would also check my sight picture to make sure the hold is correct.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Ok, I've decided against trying to modify the gun to fit the load. So I've modified the load to fit the gun. I am using a lighter bullet at a higher velocity and that brought the POI down to match the POA. Thanks to you who tried to help.

Links