Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus Revolver Disassembly - Pictorial Guide

384K views 249 replies 132 participants last post by  Heartlander 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This particular photo shoot is of my 85 Ultra-Lite. It is very similar to much of the Taurus double-action revolver line. The official Taurus revolver owners manual has parts diagrams for many Taurus revolver models. Find it here - http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/revolver-manual.pdf

Before starting your own tear down be sure to UNLOAD YOUR FIREARM and get a decent set of gunsmith screwdrivers. Here is an affordable set available at many stores that sell guns. B-Square 31-Piece Professional Gunsmith Screwdriver Set

Note: The photos are fairly large. If you have dial-up internet, just walk away and get a cup of coffee. The photos should all be loaded when you come back. :)

I omitted the grip removal procedure to save photo space. Different grips come off in different ways. The model 85 has a single screw on the right side of the gun. Remove the screw and pry the grip halves off the grip frame.

NOTE: The photo below is not the traditional method of removing the side plate of a revolver. It is a convenient way to remove the side plate since there is a hole in the frame allowing access. Not all revolvers have this access. Be sure to do a search for videos showing how to remove the side plate from a revolver. Prying the side plate off is NOT recommended and can damage the frame or side plate.

Note: The use of fired (empty) cases inserted into the chambers will provide additional support for the extractor star when you unscrew the extractor rod.

Photo below: H= Extractor, I= Extractor Rod, J= Cylinder Stop Plunger with Spring

Photo Below: You can also remove the cylinder release assembly if you want. It is held in place with one screw.
K= Bolt Spring, L= Thumb Piece, M= Thumb Piece Screw, N= Bolt

Reassembly is pretty much the reverse of disassembly.

To reinstall the cylinder onto the yoke just press it together with your hands until it snaps together. There should be a little spring loaded play between the cylinder and yoke.

The photo below shows what the trigger assembly looks like from the other side when put back together.

After getting the internal parts back in the revolver frame, be sure to cock the gun one more time to hold the hammer and trigger springs so you can remove the pins or wires that you put in to hold the springs on the center pins. Remember to reinstall and close the cylinder/yoke assembly to allow cocking.

When reinstalling the side plate, the top portion has a tab that fits into the frame before closing the bottom of the side plate. If the side plate tab won't go into place, be sure the firing pin's retaining pin is fully installed. The bottom portion of the side plate should press into place with a little pressure.

DO NOT LOAD YOUR GUN!

Be sure to check how the gun operates mechanically. Check the hammer cocking, trigger pull, cylinder rotation, cylinder lockup, and cylinder opening. If you find that you cannot pull the hammer back, remove the side plate and check the hammer spring center pin. It can be accidentally reversed and jam against the trigger spring center pin. See the third photo to check.

IF YOUR GUN IS MALFUNCTIONING, TAKE IT TO A GUNSMITH FOR REPAIR!

EDIT: If the cylinder won't close properly after reassembly you may have a spacer, shown in the linked post, installed backward. Thanks to Sunset_Va for discovering that! Here's his post.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/22219-taurus-revolver-disassembly-pictorial-guide-4.html#post284801

Sunset_Va's photo

Note: The revolver in this pictorial had its hammer modified for double action only after these photos were taken.

Here's a PDF file version - http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/members/4403-albums457-picture19138.pdf

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Pictorial Guide - Taurus Revolver Disassembly

Chico, outstanding post, great to see you really earning your moderator pay. Just one question....Were you able to get it to shoot when you put it back together, since you didn't show the reassembled gun? :D
In all seriousness, great post.

Reactions: chicharrones
#5 ·

And for all you folks who think a revolver has fewer moving parts than a Auto....look just real close and count them!

Reactions: Northwitch
#6 ·

Wow, that is a LOT of work, chic!! Kudos to you--didn't see you're now a royal moderator! Congrats!! :)

#12 ·

Robby, if it goes bang bang bang bang on snap caps, you may have just ate too many beans! :fart:

#14 ·

Chico, you deserve a raise.

#16 ·

BigSkiff said:
WOW! Very nice! Thats a great detailed and well labeled explanation of how to detail strip a revolver! Outstanding job Chico!
Can't say it better +++++1 :)

#17 ·

Guess I'll have to go buy a Taurus revolver, so I can take it apart! Good work, Chico! :thumb:

#19 ·

Do you mean that the photos are cropped on the right side? If so, you will have a scroll bar at the very bottom of my original post that will allow you to see the rest of the image.

I made the images 800 pixels wide to accommodate the more recent flat screen computer monitors. I still have a desktop with a CRT monitor and it puts in the scroll bar with the resolution I have it set up for. The photos are huge on the CRT, but they are pretty small on the flat screens out there.

My apologies to the CRT owners out there, I had to go with the ever more increasing number of flat screen monitors with the higher screen resolutions. It is the present and future. :-\

#20 ·

Do you mean that the photos are cropped on the right side? If so, you will have a scroll bar at the very bottom of my original post that will allow you to see the rest of the image.
Yes they are - and no I do not have the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom (though I'd expect it too), so the pictures stay cropped.

I guess PDF is out of question...

#24 ·

Chicharrones, this is fantastic. Thank you much.

I'm a bit concerned about that snap bushing that holds the cylinder onto the hollow shaft. Is that going to stand repeated cylinder removals for deep cleaning, or is removal of the cylinder recommended as "emergencies only"?

#25 ·

"Yes they are - and no I do not have the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom (though I'd expect it too), so the pictures stay cropped."

I printed out most of these pictures and the full, uncropped picture came out of the printer just fine. Surprised me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.