I got hammerless works for me
thanks for the info and support.
I got hammerless works for me
Did you buy it that way or did you order the extra hammer?Originally Posted by Saginnattil
Yesterday I ALMOST cut the spur off. Before I got out the Dremel, I put in snap caps and did some more practice drawing and shooting all in double-action.
THEN, I did some single-action trigger pulls. That screwed me right there. The single action trigger is so nice it could be from a bolt action rifle. Sure would be a shame to lose that.
I guess I have to buy a second hammer.
I finally bobbed the hammer on my 85 today, slapy. I'll post pics if you want.
Please do! Was it hard to do? How time consuming was it? What finish did you put on it? Do you like the way it works now?
Ohbekaybe, here are the pics of the Taurus 85UL home bobbed hammer!* :P
First up, if you are not mechanically inclined I wouldn't rip your revolver to pieces due to all the little parts and springs in there. If you have taken a revolver apart before and have put it back together successfully, go for it! This was only the second time I've pulled the side plate off of a revolver. I was not worried about getting it back together, but I was worried about losing a spring. Luckily none sprung off into the wild blue yonder.
I drew a line on the hammer on both sides to give me a guide to shoot for while using my Dremel tool to cut the spur off. The hammer is hardened steel and should not get hot or else the hammer could lose it hardness at the cut off point. So, I would cut with the Dremel for a few seconds, then dip the cut end of the hammer in water to cool it off. You could dip it in oil, but I was holding the hammer with my hand and didn't want it to slip out. It took several cut and dip cycles before I was finished with the rough cut. It only took a few minutes.
What took the longest was trying to remove metal to smooth the rough cut. My hand files wouldn't work on the hardened steel of the hammer. I resorted to emery cloth laid on my work bench, and I basically sanded the rough cut until it was smooth and also slightly shaped the hammer as well. I started with coarse emery cloth, used some medium emery cloth, and finished with fine emery cloth. Pic "C" is of the finished profile I went with. It isn't flush with the revolver, but I like it nonetheless.
I was satisfied with the finish of the hammer at this point and did not polish it or put any coating on it. The part I cut on the hammer was smooth and shiny with less "tool" marks than some parts of the revolver itself.
I cleaned off the internal parts, lubed them, and put it all back together. I did dry fire testing with my Azoom snap caps and all is functional at this point. I still need to take my 85UL to the range to test it all the way.*
Last edited by chicharrones; 11-06-2011 at 04:58 PM.
looks good chic! Looking forward to doing my own soon.
Gotta see pics of your conversion, too!