Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Good duracoat colors

15K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  CJS3 
#1 ·
Anybody have any suggestions on what would be a good color of duracoat to paint my PT99? Want something tactical, but it doesn't have to be black.

#2 ·
I had my PT809 coated Rhodesian tan on the slide and od green on the frame.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

#3 ·

Other way around apparently.

#6 ·
There are no bad colors I don't guess?
I personally am not big an of Dura coat but love Cera- coat and the old Z-Coating ( picture included) this company is long gone out of business but will give you an idea of a 99 in camo!

Attachments

#8 ·
Maybe not so tactical, but I hope tacticool, I'm waiting on a can of Cerakote "Burnt Bronze" right now. Bronze seems to be the new "color de jour" as the big names offer it now. ie: Ed Brown, Wilson Combat and Nighthawk. I will post my "new" S&W Scandium 1911 when it's done.

#9 ·
I got a PT1911 in Burnt Bronze and graphite Black, the Armory Black looks the same to me?
But the Burnt Bronze and Black is becoming more popular, I have had this one for a while now!
The Forest Green and Black is another very popular combo in the Cera coat

Attachments

#14 ·
Like most paint jobs , the devil is in the prep work!
spend twice- three times as much time preparing the weapon to be painted than the actual painting and you generally get pretty good results
due to the thickness of the paint you typically do not want to get any inside the weapon and action , OH and be double sure that it is thoroughly cured/dried before reassembly.

#16 ·
$40 a can? How about this? Engine block paint. $8 a can, heat cured (or air cured depending on the brand), chemical solvent resistant, and available at the auto parts store you pass on the way home from work.

Just had to redo the slide on my ATI GSG1911-22. Factory finish was flaking off pretty badly. Heat cured it with a heat gun. My wife would have killed me if I had put it in the oven.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

This is the way it looked right after I bought it;
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

#17 ·
$40 a can? How about this? Engine block paint. $8 a can, heat cured (or air cured depending on the brand), chemical solvent resistant, and available at the auto parts store you pass on the way home from work.

Just had to redo the slide on my ATI GSG1911-22. Factory finish was flaking off pretty badly. Heat cured it with a heat gun. My wife would have killed me if I had put it in the oven.

View attachment 94813

This is the way it looked right after I bought it;
View attachment 94814
how well is the paint holding up? I've never been aposed to using spray paints and other non-gun paints before. And did you need to seal it?

#20 ·
I had my PT1911 done in all burnt bronze. My Kahr CW45 slide was also done in burnt bronze but left the frame black (no pic yet). I'm also having the slid and grips on my Cougar 8040 done in forest green and the slide left black. There's a guy about 45 minutes from me that does a great job at a very reasonable price.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.