Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

1911 parts compatibility

Love my PT1911, but I need to make a few changes.

First: I absolutely must have an arched housing. 1911's with an arched housing feel as if they are made for me.

Second: Single-side safety. I am right handed, and it just feels wrong to me.

Third: Some good night sights. In case I might actually have to use it for killing something other than milk jugs.

Fourth: A new trigger (purely cosmetic)

I know the sights from a standard 1911 won't fit, so I'll have to get something taurus specific. But what about the other three? Will standard arched mainspring housings fit? Can a standard safety be fitted? Will regular triggers fit also?

I am having the gun parked soon, so I want to have the gun in its "final" configuration to have it all color matched.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: 1911 parts compatibility

Accourding to an article that I read on the PT1911, it was made to the specifications of the 1947 government model. So after market parts for the 1911 should fit, but as with any 1911 may need some minor fitting. I just put in a GI length guide rod and standard spring guide plug and they fit just fine.
    gunfighter48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Parts should fit. I changed out my slide stop for an extended version, fit fine. One area of concern is aftermarket grips may have interference with the ambi safety. Mine did. I put on a set of wood grips and had to cut a relief for the safety on the right grip.
    Dallas Jack

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

See original post, the ambi safety is going in the junk pile

Most of what I want is at CDNN.

I found an arched mainspring housing, standard safety, and solid trigger there for well under $50 shipped.

Now I just need to find a set of night sights. I honestly don't care if they are black, though. They would still look fine on a parkerized gun. So I might send all my stuff out to get fitted/parked as soon as the UPS guy shows up.

The night sights can wait, I guess.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Sounds like you are good to go. I too am going to ditch the ambi safety as well as the FLGR.
    Dallas Jack

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

just order them from Ed Brown and if it dont fit then return it and get a refund

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I plan on making some changes to mine as well, first off I am getting rid of that hammer safety lock! But do any of these changes VOID the Taurus warranty? Most of the changes I plan to make are not permanent and I am saving all old parts. But if I were to make a permanent change to the firearm, would there be problems?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Arched mainspring housing will fit no problem. The trigger will go in, but you will have to insure that the trigger over travel screw is set correctly. You will probably want to hone the main spring housing spring channel as this will help smooth out the action.

Here are some links:

http://www.azod.com/shooting/Archive...%20-%20Not.htm

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=110432

As for fitting the new non ambi safety, read the following:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=245926

That link doesn't so much as tell you how, but does point out it's not just a drop in part. Take it to a decent smith for this part if you've never seen or done it before.

Heinie does make night sights, but again you'll need them to be professionally installed. The old "hammer and drift" method is a sure way to break the tritium vial and ruin your new sights. An honest to goodness sight installing fixture is the stuff, or a competent machinist.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

KSoldier & Justice4, said it correctly. I own two Pt 1911, the HD & the Talon (w/ night sights), plus a Colt 80 & the Defender series 90.

The Taurus although based on a series 80 doesn't use the half-cocked safety in the same manner as Colt. In a Colt the half cock will fall when you squeeze the trigger (won't discharge from half cocked) but the Taurus won't fall. If anything the Taurus will Jam in half-cock or if your really lucky it will fall into the half cock position when raking the slide.

So KSoldier, is on the money about that safety hammer. It's everything but safe. Who asked for it anyway (how correct)? Now get the hammer to work right. (Sorry), don't want to go there.

Don't alter the frame or anything permanently. You will be blamed for Neros' fire and all sins against humanity. My last phone call to Taurus, the gentlemen warned me about making the slides' grip sharper (so I could pull the slide back correctly). Nice & honest he said," I would be better off using gripping tape then making a mark in the slide".

Seriously, you have a great gun and needless too say I am a cynic, at the least. If I own 2 of them, it's worth some small problems. Make your changes and have a fun. You'll probably raise the value........

Super Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    92 times

Careful about prospects of "raising the value." Do what you like to enhance your enjoyment of the gun, but I've found that those who are out to buy guns won't offer more than penneys on the dollar for enhancements... but you aren't doing this for someone else... make it right for yourself.
    [size=14pt]Senior Grand Master Tin Can Shooter and Paper Target Puncher[/size]

PT1911: Burnished Slide,
    Colobolo Grips,
    Millett 100
    Low Profile rear
    PT145: with HIVIZ
    Front Sight
    Browning
    Hi-Power,
    Green sealed
    Fiber Optic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links