Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Will A Rossi 95 3" Handle +P

Will The Rossi 95 3" Barrel . Handle 38 +P . Not A Steady Diet .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    927 times
    I wouldn't chance it. Try these for S.D. This load is a standard weight projectile traveling at just under 1,000 fps from the 4 inch bbl. They are not +P, but are close. Read their copy. I'll be getting a box for my Rossi m68 snubby. (only 850 fps for me.) It is highly recommended by those more street savvy than I.
    Here: 38 Special 158 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point Box of 20
    Taurus PT-92, PT-908, PT-111Mil
    Taurus M-94, M-96, M-605

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    I wouldn't try using +p in your revolver. It's a nice one by the way -- congrats on the acquisition! BTW, with the design, etc. of today's ammo, there's really no need to use +p. You can easily get +p performance out of a non +p loading. One of my favorites is Federal's 110gr Hydra-ShokŪ JHP. We use it in my wife's S&W j-frame, and it works great. You get this great performance (and less recoil) by virtue of using the lighter bullet. Plus, you get the street-proven performance of the Hydra-ShokŪ.......
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    This topic has intriqued me for some time. Some thoughts on gun design: let's say I'm an engineer and I'm going to design a new 38spl revolver. The maximum average SAAMI pressure for a standard 38spl round is 17,000 psi. Now do I design the gun to handle 17,000 psi, 17,500 psi or some higher pressure? Me, I'm designing that thing to handle twice the maximum average pressure. Why? Liability. Just like civil engineers design bridges. They calculate the maximum load they think that bridge would ever carry then they multiple that load by 10 and design the bridge to hold that load.
    Last edited by coloneljim; 05-01-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm with you coloneljim. All the new .38's handle +p however, when these older models were made I don't think +p was on the market so there was no need to engineer for it. I personally refrain from using it on older revolvers. Like others, I have carried it and test fired a cylinder full or 2 just to get a feel for it.

Do the 110gr. rounds change point of impact much compared with 158gr? I generally buy 158gr. for the extra bullet wieght.

Member #
    Liked
    17958 times
    Today's +P's are wussie marketing ploys...IMO

The stuff sold nowadays is much milder than it was 15+ years ago.

I wouldn't worry a bit about shooting it in a Rossi 95.

In today's economy I don't think most of us could afford enough +P ammo to wear one out early.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Quote Originally Posted by k9stang View Post
    I'm with you coloneljim. All the new .38's handle +p however, when these older models were made I don't think +p was on the market so there was no need to engineer for it. I personally refrain from using it on older revolvers. Like others, I have carried it and test fired a cylinder full or 2 just to get a feel for it.

Do the 110gr. rounds change point of impact much compared with 158gr? I generally buy 158gr. for the extra bullet wieght.
    It changes some, but hasn't been too bad. We start out close to the target making sure when can hit, and then move back to a reasonable defensive distance once we are hitting POA consistently. Next time I am out, I will try to take some pictures.
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    5057 times
    There are rounds like Buffalo Bore's standard pressure rounds that hit like +P rounds without the recoil and noise.
    Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business

The Hornady FTX has a standard pressure round.
    Hornady.com - Accurate, Deadly, Dependable - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Federal has the 125gr. Nyclad that has an actual real world documented record for stops that are excellent.

Why ruin a old but goody solid shooter with +P ammo? The gun might be able to handle some +P use. I'm just not enthusiastic about using them in that fine ol' shooter.

Links