Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Holster for r97104

Hello,
    I'm new to wheel guns and I am likely getting a Rossi r97104 from my brother this week. He picked it up a few months ago, but decided he does not like shooting a revolver. I do currently have one other revolver, a S&W Bodyguard 38, that I picked up a couple months ago as my everyday carry gun. Although new to revolvers, I'm not new to firearms. I'm looking to use this Rossi as a starting gun for IDPA revolver shooting. I currently shoot IDPA in all the pistol classes (SSP, ESP, CDP), but I have not tried revolver yet. The problem I'm having is finding a holster for the Rossi. I've looked for a couple hours now and I cannot seem to find anyone making a holster for this gun. I've tried reading back through some of the older threads on here and I've found a couple that say a S&W K frame holster should work. I'm was hoping to find something in Kydex (or palstic) like a BladeTech, Comp-Tac, Fobus, Blackhawk, etc..... Can anyone tell me if they have found anything that works with this gun and provides adequate retention? If not, what leather brands would you recommend and what model gun should I be looking for on the websites? Thinking maybe Galco or Don Hume.

Thanks,
    Biker21sp

Member #
    Liked
    4300 times

Re: Holster for r97104

Here's link that might be of help.
    http://www.cowboyneeds.com/holsters_...ssi_971-4.html -

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I have the 97104 and I HIGHLY recommend the KNJ Ambi Belt Holster, or ABH at this link:

http://www.knjmfg.com/id2.html

It fits the 97104 PERFECTLY, has belt loops for either left or right hand, AND has a velcro closure instead of a snap.

I have two of these KNJ holsters, one for my 4" 971 and another for my 6" Smith 686. I love them both and highly recommend them. They cost about $12 at my local gunshop which is much cheaper than 'Mike's' brand or any others.
    ...your basic point and click interface...

Member #
    Liked
    4300 times

M3. I think you just have helped the 971/972 crowd more than you know.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Guys,
    Thanks for the responses so far, but I think I need to keep looking or not buy the gun from my brother. The leather holster from cowboyneeds.com looks like the best option, but not really what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something for IDPA and would prefer not to have a snap of velcro, just a level 1 pressure type retention. The holster from KNJ looks like a nice universal option, but I have nothing but bad experience with nylon universal holsters. They are cheap if you're just looking for a range holster, but I have found they do not hold up to every day carry or compatitions very well.

I have friend that makes kydex holsters so I may talk to him about it, I was really trying to avoid shipping the gun to TN after I get it. It's likely not worth the cost of shipping to and from just for 1 holster.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for other options.

Thanks again,
    Biker21sp

Member #
    Liked
    4300 times

Let's try this again shall we?

I think I found soemthing more useful and should have remembered from some time back and here goes. The 971 is smaller framed than the K frame and that was the clue.

Here as well as at other gun forums it was a fact that the Rossi 971/972 frame size is akin to Colt Python, or a Colt Diamondback, as well as a New Police model.
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=12194.0
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=15583.0

Bianchi, Don Hume, Galco, and Safariland have something along those lines for the Rossi.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Ok, I don't shoot IDPA, but I went and read the rules and stuff on their website. It looks like you have to have (what I call) the Galco, 'hard' or leather belt holsters when you shoot IDPA. So no, the KNJ might not work.

As a side note, I got a lot of good information on IDPA shooting. I'm planning to go check out one of their events. On the other hand - I just sold the only Galco 'hard' belt holster I had for one of my semi's because I never used it... But, apparently, IDPA shooting isn't about equipment, so who knows, they might be ok if you had a nylon belt holster...
    ...your basic point and click interface...

Links