Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Rossi 461 .357 magnum and Buffalo Bore 158 grain ammo

My father recently purchsed a Rossi 461 .357 magnum. He is planning on mostly carrying for when we are bow hunting . We have never owned a Rossi revolver before, but so far it seems like a qulity gun for what he wanted it for. My question is would it be safe to shoot the Buffalo Bore 158 grain ammo out of this gun? The specs for the ammo are Heavy 357 Magnum Ammo - 158 gr. J.H.C. (1,475fps/M.E. 763 ft. lbs.) I know this is a hotter load than normal. I can not find anything saying if this gun is capable of handling it or not. Does anyone have any info on this combination or have any answers for me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks....

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Rossi 461 .357 magnum and Buffalo Bore 158 grain ammo

I say shoot a cylinder or two for function/accuracy then no more. Buffalo bore is good stuff, but its really stout.

Member #
    Liked
    1419 times

Quote Originally Posted by jdhaines32
    My father recently purchsed a Rossi 461 .357 magnum. He is planning on mostly carrying for when we are bow hunting . We have never owned a Rossi revolver before, but so far it seems like a qulity gun for what he wanted it for. My question is would it be safe to shoot the Buffalo Bore 158 grain ammo out of this gun? The specs for the ammo are Heavy 357 Magnum Ammo - 158 gr. J.H.C. (1,475fps/M.E. 763 ft. lbs.) I know this is a hotter load than normal. I can not find anything saying if this gun is capable of handling it or not. Does anyone have any info on this combination or have any answers for me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks....
    ALL Buffalo Bore® 357 Magnum, and 38 Special ammunition is safe for your Dad to shoot in his Rossi® Mdl 461 revolver.
    • Your Dad's revolver can not only handle the ammunition, IT CAN HANDLE REPEATED AND CONTINUED USE OF IT!
    • I've shot a truck load of Buffalo Bore® ammunition in my Rossi® and Taurus® revolvers over the years, AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani

Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Thanks guys for the help. I will pass this information onto him. I know was planning on at least trying it to get a sense of the recoil, and just using to carry, and when we shoot at the range he will use something else. I am sure he will be glad to here this as well. Thanks again...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

You may be able to shoot super hot loads in any weapon, but that doesn't mean you should. THERE IS NO REASON TO ABUSE YOUR WEAPON. Just my 0.2c

Member #
    Liked
    93 times

If the Buffalo Bore is within S.A.A.M.I. specs http://www.saami.org/ (and it had better be) the Rossi was designed to handle it. In a 28 oz revolver I suspect the shooters enthusiasm for the Buffalo Bore loads will wear out way before the firearm!!!

"An armed society is a polite society", R. A. Heinlein.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I'm in complete agreement. I'm in no discrediting the ability of the firearm. Just my opinion on shooting the hoittest loads all the time. Although, at around $1/shot for buffalo bore most folks bank account will wear out before the weapon will. Lol

Member #
    Liked
    93 times

Range ammo for range use and serious business ammo for serious business..... Practice until you get it right then shoot for fun.
    "An armed society is a polite society", R. A. Heinlein.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Just for the record, I've chronographed several different loads in different calibers. The velocity numbers they post are ACCURATE! At least in my testing.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Will Rossi/Taurus honor the warranty if things went wrong? Probably so, since this is factory ammo, no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links