Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 2" 357

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27 times

Rossi 2" 357

I have a snubbie Rossi blued,love the factory grips that came with it.I like the fact I can grab and go with it ,I also consider it my first line of defense if needed in an emergency.I tend to prefer .38 specials as opposed to the magnums however.
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    Ruger SR 40c
    Tauras 605 poly
    Ruger 10/22
    Tauras 1911
    Saiga 7.62x39
    F.I.E 12 ga.,Dad bought me in 1975 for $30
    VA Conceal Carry Permit
    NRA Member
    Steve McQueen Fan
    Fear for this great nations future

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6350 times

Re: Rossi 2" 357

How accurate is it? Just wondering cause I've found the Rossi revolvers I've owned to be pretty danged impressive with accuracy. I have a .38 M68 I call my "pimp gun" cause I put pearlite grips on it. I don't carry it much, but it's a very accurate little .38. My .357 carry is a 3" M66 medium frame Taurus. It's a six shot, a little heavier than the smaller frames, but not much over 30 ounces and quite comfortable to carry IWB. Like you, I keep it handy. It's easy to load up and put on if I want more than my pocket gun. My pocket options are a Taurus M85UL (also quick to make ready, keep it loaded in the nightstand) and a Kel Tec P11 9mm.

Much of the time around here I just pocket carry, but if I'm going somewhere out of town, I like to throw on the .357 and use the pocket gun for back up.

Ths is my M68. I also still have a little M511 Sportsman .22 Rossi kit gun that's very accurate and fun. It goes with me most of my range trips and gets fired more than any other gun I own.

Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    5251 times

Ok Tbolt, Quiz time. Is it a 461 or a 462? 461 is the blued version. Guess which one is stainless? Que Jeopardy music please? But theriously folks there is a lot to like about the Rossi snubs. Since the 351 and 352 are the 5 shot .38 Specials that means the 461 and 462 are the six shot .357 magnum version for all those who are just coming in on this for the first time. Colt made the 6 shot Detective Special and it's variants, but then discontinued then and only the Rossi 6 shots know hold that distinction and are smaller than the 6 shot S&W model 65 and 66s. Just a little history lesson. There will be a pop quiz latter. Who's bringing the soda pop? Am thnking about appropriating a .357 version and just shoot +Ps. Magnums are nice for power, but the recoil has its drawbacks. By the way T, my favorite World War II aircraft is of course the P-47. Was thinking of using your user name when I first joined the High Road and Firing Line, but someone beat me to the punch. Oh well. Enjoy!

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6350 times

Hmm, aircraft names? I shoulda picked "Corsair" or "Mustang" I guess.

I had an old M971 and that one was sort of half way between a J frame and K frame in size. I ASSUME the newer guns are on the same general frame? I sure liked that 971. I'd really like a new stainless gun with a 3" barrel, but I guess 2 or 4" are all that's offered. I went to the Rossi site recently and that's all I found. I really like 3" guns in .357 caliber for IWB. 3" puts the M back in Magnum performance and give you more sight radius, never a bad thing.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

The Rossi R642 is calling me. I have been resisting for about a year or more. I have Eight 357s as it is. There is just somthing about the looks of it. It's not much smaller than my 617 Taurus and one shot less. It just keeps calling me. Anybody have this gun? How is it for a CCW?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

I have the 461..I love it.I bought it used for $150 as a glove box gun.It ended up being so accurate,that I use it at IDPA and classified marksman with it the 1st time out.The bluing is actually a lot nicer than some s and w I've seen.I don't shoot many 357's out of it,but it does handle them fine.The trigger was crappy in the beginning,but a trip back to Taurus and shooting the snot out of it has done wonders.
    One down side to a Rossi is resale value..but if it's a keeper,why sell it?I'd get another Rossi in a heart beat.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Oh yeah CCW...I have CCw'd it on occasion no problem.Uses holsters for s and w mod 10.I have since switched to pocket carry (S/W 642)and you"could"pocket carry a 461 with a good tight belt.Actually Iam heading out tonight and I'll pocket carry the 461 and report back

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27 times

It is a model 461.6 shot .As for acuracy I was hitting a card board box at about 20 yards.With the .38's sorry I'm not much for targets just like to shoot.Magnums are a handfull to control.Wish they would come out with a 7-8 shot,and some ported 3" models.
    Yes I'm a p-47 fanatic.Father was a ww2 vet that really loved that plane above all others because of the damage it could inflict to Germans on the ground.P.S-you could always call yourself "The Jug"
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    Ruger SR 40c
    Tauras 605 poly
    Ruger 10/22
    Tauras 1911
    Saiga 7.62x39
    F.I.E 12 ga.,Dad bought me in 1975 for $30
    VA Conceal Carry Permit
    NRA Member
    Steve McQueen Fan
    Fear for this great nations future

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Ok,we went out for dinner and I pocket carried the 461..now bare in mind that I've been carrying an airweight for about 6 months.The 461 was a bit heavy in my pocket.The grip poked out a little too,but I was wearing a long untucked shirt.I was using a Desantis nemisis holster(the same one I use for the 642).So in a pinch I could do it,but I prefer holsters for heavier guns.I was comforting to have 6 rounds of 357 though,as opposed to my usual 5 of 38+p).

Member #
    Liked
    5251 times

Yes indeedy,six rounds is more comforting than 5. A Bianchi Speed strip with an extra 6 or a speedloader is not a bad idea either. Extra ammo is never a bad thing and the strips lay flat in a pocket. P47s are where "the whole nine yards" came from . Ammo belts were that long and if they strafed a target they gave them the full nine yards. Us military history types know that one and others may not. Glad I did not use " Jugs" or "Juggernaut" as the user name. Back on track. Colt and S&W goofed by not filling the 6 shot snubbie market any more. Then the cost of one of their products might be too high for working individuals.S&W never seems to have had a small frame 6 shooter in .38 special or .357 magnum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links