• 2 Post By Fishinkeylargo
  • 1 Post By MOONDAWG
  • 1 Post By glenwolde

Thread: Looking for load ideas for 9mm similar to the Hydroshok's low recoil

Member #
    Liked
    6047 times

Looking for load ideas for 9mm similar to the Hydroshok's low recoil

My nephew's wife picked up a PT709 and she's got a bit of a recoil handling issue. I switched her over to the Federal Hydroshok 124gr low recoil rounds and this seems to have helped. I'm trying to work up reload data for similar rounds for her but I have no idea where to look or even what powders and load amounts to try. Any suggestions would be helpful. I do know that the lighter the round, the lower the recoil and these will be FMJ's or LRN for target practice, not SD/PD.

Member #
    Liked
    15462 times
    Federal web page shows 1120 fps at the muzzle. I would find reloading data that matches that number with a 124gr bullet and the powder you have on hand. I think that would be a good starting point. Load a few up and give them a try.
    darbo and olfarhors like this.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    4494 times
    I load 4.0grs. of Universal behind a Berrys 124gr hp. It works in my fullsize SAR B6P, but might be too light to operate the 709. The little guns generally have a little heavier recoil spring.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    6862 times
    well the problem with downloading the semi auto as i am sure you know is function.
    You might try going down to the 115 grain, I have tried a few loadings in this weight.
    Use at your own risk!
    maybe try--Rainers/Berrys plated 115 gr, R/N with Unique at 4.6 grains and 1.125 OAL.
    My pistols ran on this , but i eventually ended up at 4.9 grains which to me is not at all punishing and more in line with factory listings..
    Last edited by olfarhors; 01-22-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    6047 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    well the problem with downloading the semi auto as i am sure you know is function.
    You might try going down to the 115 grain, I have tried a few loadings in this weight.
    Use at your own risk!
    maybe try--Rainers/Berrys plated 115 gr, R/N with Unique at 4.6 grains and 1.125 OAL.
    My pistols ran on this , but i eventually ended up at 4.9 grains which to me is not at all punishing and more in line with factory listings..
    I just ordered in some berry's 115 FMJ's, more primers and some unique but I have to wait on the powder and primers. Could be a couple of weeks before the powder and primers show up but as long as I get the boowits in, I can do a couple of test loads with HP-38

Member #
    Liked
    4494 times
    Maybe another member could help you out with a handfull of primers and bullets until yours come in? There are quite a few guys in the DFW area.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    20981 times
    The lightest 9 mm bullets are in the 90-110 gr. range intended for the .380, but can also be used in the venerable 9 mm Para. Zero also makes some 108 grainers for reloading.

Google the gun powder company you're using and they'll show you some "start to maximum" loads for your particular gun powder.

Unlike revolvers that only require enough "umph" to get the bullet out of the barrel, semiautos require enough recoil force to operate the slide at the optimum speed for reliable feeding and ejection.

Sooo...with that being said, it's a matter of trial and error on your load development; start low and work your way up till you find a light recoiling load that works in "her" particular gun when being fired by "her".
    olfarhors likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8151 times
    For a given muzzle velocity, I've always found slower powders seemed to have less felt recoil, like jimb's Universal would be considered on the slower side for 9mm. Lighter bullets also "feel" softer. So start with a slower powder and a lighter bullet.

Look up the powders in your source here for burn rate:

Powder Burn Rates
    olfarhors likes this.
    "I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    6862 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    I just ordered in some berry's 115 FMJ's, more primers and some unique but I have to wait on the powder and primers. Could be a couple of weeks before the powder and primers show up but as long as I get the boowits in, I can do a couple of test loads with HP-38
    WOW!!
    you found powder, projectiles and PRIMERS !!
    go buy a lottery ticket my friend!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    6047 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    WOW!!
    you found powder, projectiles and PRIMERS !!
    go buy a lottery ticket my friend!
    The powder I had just after sandy hook and that's HP38, bought 1000 CCI 300 large pistol primers and a few hundred bullets in .451 230 gr FMJ, .955 125 gr and a few hundred Montana gold .356 130 gr for the wife's 38 super. Since I was already a good customer of my retailer, she knew I was looking for various primers, powders and boolits. I ordered 2K of the CCI SPPs, and 2 x 1lb Unique. She's holding the boolits for me for when the primers and powder comes in but I can pick them up at any time.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links