Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

32 S&W reloading

I just bought a S&W topbreak first model (1889). The gun has been sent back to the factory and re-furbished, it is like new. I wish to shoot light cast bullets in Cowboy Action side matches. There is almost no reloading data to be found for this caliber. If anyone has had experiance with reloading for this caliber, please give me some help.
    Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    16084 times
    Here is what I found online. Lee Relaoding Manual ony has 3 loads in it, other books are in the shed.

Reloading .32 Smith & Wesson

Load 529 in caliber .32 Smith&Wesson

32 S&W Load Data - Handloads.Com
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    2000 times
    I shoot several thousand rounds a year of the little cartridge. I cast Lyman 313249 for it, 85 gr. RN and load it over 1.5 gr. of Bullseye. I shoot it in solid frame Colts and S&W revolvers. Looking at Ideal Hand book #35, dated 4-48 I find my load and then there are some BP loads. Are you planning on loading BP or smokeless? For the break top revolvers the recommended load was 1.0 gr. of Bullseye. There is a cast bullet weighing 77-78 gr. from most commercial casters that would work very well also. I bought a few of them some years back, they worked.
    Good shooting!!!

Member #
    Liked
    915 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guesser View Post
    I shoot several thousand rounds a year of the little cartridge. I cast Lyman 313249 for it, 85 gr. RN and load it over 1.5 gr. of Bullseye. I shoot it in solid frame Colts and S&W revolvers. Looking at Ideal Hand book #35, dated 4-48 I find my load and then there are some BP loads. Are you planning on loading BP or smokeless? For the break top revolvers the recommended load was 1.0 gr. of Bullseye. There is a cast bullet weighing 77-78 gr. from most commercial casters that would work very well also. I bought a few of them some years back, they worked.
    Good shooting!!!

Wow. 1.0 grs? Looks like you could just forget the powder and put a magnum primer in it and shoot just as well. Ha. I would need an electronic scale to measure that. I'm not sure my Lee scale is accurate enough to weigh that.
    What is the recoil like with that load?

Member #
    Liked
    21557 times
    Here's 19 or 20 more loads you might wanna try...

32 S&W Long Load Data - Handloads.Com
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    2000 times
    OOOOPPPS!!!!!!! Which 32 S&W are we talking about here? The original or the later 32 S&W Long? Drastic difference!!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    7268 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    Here's 19 or 20 more loads you might wanna try...

32 S&W Long Load Data - Handloads.Com
    Lets NOT get carried away here!
    he was asking about the "32 S & W", we don't want him loading for a 32 H & R magnum or a 327 Magnum now!!-LOL
    Let me just say that i have an old top break 32 S & W and after researching it , I decided that i would just buy a box of ammo and not even spend the money on a set of dies , casue i wasn;t going to shoot it more than a few times.
    power for the 32 S & W is pretty darned weak to be sure.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    2000 times
    He want to participate in Cowboy Action, it will behoove him to hand load.

Member #
    Liked
    7268 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guesser View Post
    He want to participate in Cowboy Action, it will behoove him to hand load.
    So are you saying that they want let cowboys buy ammunition in gun stores???
    I thought Cowboy action was more about riding horses, drinking and making fun of the local Sheriff!
    heck it don't sound like much fun if you take all that out of acting like a cowboy to me.
    But heck to each his own.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    2000 times
    No, he can buy ammunition, it just gets expensive. When I had my Class 6 FFL I did a lot of loading for Cowboy shooters, they become fanatics and I made very good money helping them maintain and promote their fanaticism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links