Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Copper Plated Lead Bullets

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    531 times

Copper Plated Lead Bullets

I've just started reloading, my question is a copper plated lead bullet going to require anything different related to cleaning my barrel after shooting ?
    They made us many promises, more than i can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it."
    Red Cloud

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    11840 times
    I've fired a few thousand Berry's and Rainier 230 gr in 45 and haven't done anything different (except save a little bit of $$ over FMJ ).

I think that you will find them very accurate and clean.
    dogchild likes this.
    "The office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron." HL Mencken

Member #
    Liked
    246 times
    Yep pick up some Berry's or Rainers and load 'em up. Just don't push them too fast. I think some where in the 1200 fps range is the limit.
    dogchild likes this.

I sold my guns because the Government says they are dangerous.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2280 times
    I've used Rainiers, Xtreme Bullets, and Berry's Plated Bullets. My favorites are the Berry's and as they are sized to Cast Bullet Diameters, I use Cast Bullet Data for my load development with them. The Xtreme Bullets are also very good and I used Jacketed Bullet Data for my loads with them.
    dogchild likes this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogchild View Post
    I've just started reloading, my question is a copper plated lead bullet going to require anything different related to cleaning my barrel after shooting ?
    You might get a lot of copper fouling (with a lot of shooting), and a copper solvent would be useful (or any solvent which is good at dissolving copper). Might I suggest Brownell's JB Bore Cleaning Compound?

HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    1377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrabe78 View Post
    Yep pick up some Berry's or Rainers and load 'em up. Just don't push them too fast. I think some where in the 1200 fps range is the limit.
    ​What caliber please?
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani

Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Member #
    Liked
    1242 times
    That's pretty much any plated bullet. Even double plated, double struck. Plated will always be thinner than jacketed and the plating will shear off under too much pressure. I loaded some Xtreme .308" bullets to 1,500fps and they hit the target sideways. I slowed them down and they held in the rifling and hit the center straight on.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    6461 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    I've fired a few thousand Berry's and Rainier 230 gr in 45 and haven't done anything different (except save a little bit of $$ over FMJ ).
    I think that you will find them very accurate and clean.
    agreed! 120%!
    I use rainers or berrys depending on where i am ordering from.
    I push the 200 Gr. 45 to about 950 FPS, the 38 Super 115 to about 1200 plus FPS, the 9 MM-115 to about 1000 FPS, the lil 380 is about 800 or so.
    No problems with any of them, cleaning is no worse than factory ammo and in some much easier due to a better powder.
    accuracy is a s good as i am at normal ranges- inside 25 yards.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I have shot thousands of plated bullets over the years. Ranier, Berrys, X-Treme, Powerbond, they all work just fine. Cleanup is just like jacketed. A little copper fouling over time. If you are one who believes in cleaning pistol barrels.

Berrys will have data soon. That will be nice.

Ranier used to post data on the website, but it is archived now. Midway had data. It is in their old "Loadbooks". There is a PDF as well. (Attached)

Plated Bullets

They are not lead, so don't use lead data. They are not jacketed, so don't use jacketed data.

They are somewhere in between. There is some good plated bullet data out there.

The velocity limits of 1200 FPS is a very good guideline. They can sometimes take a bit more, and sometimes a bit less.

I have run some Ranier, Powerbond, X-Treme, and Berrys bullets with full jacketed data. That can not be done for all bullets and calibers though. Lead data is too weak, and jacketed data can get you in trouble if you are not careful. The attached PDF's and the links to Accurates, Midways, and Vihtavuori's old data will be a great place to start.

I have only been able to tumble plated bullets at high velocities in revolvers. I have run some of them at over 1350 FPS in autos without issues and good accuracy.

Be patient with the links.

Midway Plated Bullet Data

Vihtavuori Ranier Plated Bullet Data

Accurate Arms Ranier Plated Bullet Data .. Pg 1 .. Pg 2 .. Pg 3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mattias44 and TheOldRedneck like this.

Member #
    Liked
    125 times

Instructions from Berry's web site

I was just re-ordering some bullets, so it was fresh in my mind. I've shot Berry's .38 Special HBWC with excellent results (and no barrel cleanint problems -- a welcome change from shooting lead) but these will be my first 9 mm (24 gr HP) so I'll be interested to see if I can tel any difference from the Precision Delta jacketed bullets I've been shooting. Powder Valley has good prices, but their web site and ordering system leaves a bit to be desired. From the Berry's web site:

--------------------------------
    Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities.
    -------------------------------
    CAPT, USNR(ret)
    Mechanical Engineer (retired)
    Ex-Hunter, current Target Shooter

"Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it."-- Doug Larson,American newspaper columnist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links