Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    113 times

Reloading 38 Special.

Hello everyone,

I recently got into reloading myself like many members here. I wanted to reload for my .45 but after I shot my .357, I ended up buying some brass and a die set for it to get me started. Im gonna put out a list of what I have and would like to know if I need anything else before I get started.

BTW, I want to cast my own boolits for this so I know I need a mold to do this with and probably a sizer kit in order to get it going. Anyways, Here we go.

Ruger GP-100 .357 3' ( Gun that will be shooting reloads )
    Lyman 49th Edition
    Lee 4 Hole Turret Press
    Lee Safety Scale
    Brass - 300 rounds of range pickup mixed H.S
    Small Pistol Primers - About 500
    BullsEye Powder
    Lee Deluxe 4 Die 38SPL/357MAG

All I need is boolits/bullets as far as I can think of? It seems like I have what I need.

Also, I wouldn't mind a recommendation as to what boolit/bullet I can use for a decent target/plinking round. This is actually something else I need to do because I haven't settled on what round or recipe to use for this. I would like something easy to start of with really...

So as far as I see I need a mold and probably a size kit. If I don't just buy them anyways as well as a recipe to begin with. What am I missing?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    So, I assume you are reloading .38 Spec. cases not .357 mag. cases correct?

If so, I have a nice load for you, if interested.

Also I would hold off a bit on the boolit casting until you consider yourself and an experienced reloader.
    Once you are extremely comfortable reloading a few calibers...then see which calibers and firearms you enjoy shooting the most,
    then dive into the casting.

just MHO....

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Member #
    Liked
    113 times
    Correct. I am reloading .38 special and shooting them in a .357 mag revolver.

I have about 44 cases of .357 so Im not going to bother with those until I get some more and probably some Magnum Primers when its called for. For now, Its target, Range and plinking.

I was thinking about holding off about that as well but I was thinking of just having the mold around because I already have about 120-130 lbs of Ingots. I was thinking Berrys for this rather. Seeing as Im suppose to use lead data for it anyways. At this time, It would be cheaper for me to cast my own but then I don't want it to cost me more because of my inexperience with cast bullets.

So, If you could mention that load?

BTW, You don't see anything missing from that list? Wanna make sure I got it right!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2010 times
    I'm using the Berry's 158 grain Plated Flat Points over 3.8 grains of WST. However, 2.8 to 3.0 grains of Bullseye should work as well. Velocity is 750 fps or a bit more depending upon Revolver. I use this as a plinking/general target load for my .357 Mag and .38 Special Revolvers.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    If you can, get a digital scale and also a powder funnel. Using the Lee Safty Scale can be very time consuming, in my opinion. When ever you check the weight, you will need to put the powder back into the case, so that's the reason for a powder funnel. For plinking. LSWC are a good bullet, to use. Again, in my opinion.
    What isn't tried, won't work

Member #
    Liked
    1673 times
    You mentioned that you have Bullseye powder on hand. I have been using 3.5 grains of Bullseye under any 158 grain bullet, lead or plated or jacketed with a standard primer, which is what you listed, in any good 38 Special case. I have been using that load for over 50 years. It is standard pressure rated and shoots well in every 38/357 revolver I've ever owned and I lost count of how many that is. Have fun and be safe.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    A powder dispenser or a set of dippers will save you a lot of time and might make things a bit more consistent, depending on how patient and careful you are with the scale.

I like 3.5 gr. of Bullseye under a 158 gr. lead bullet.

Member #
    Liked
    20342 times
    For plinking and target you can't beat the 148 grain wadcutter. I recently switched to the plated bullets from Ranier. They're significantly cleaner - and only slightly more expensive. (~$101/1000)
    The powder I use is AA#2, which is very close to Bullseye. The range of load with either powder is 3.1-3.5 gr. (I use 3.1)
    Keeper of The Pledge

Elected Perpetual Dictator of the Universe by a landslide.

I have ridden a motorcycle faster than Mach 0.25.

Because a copy is returned for postfix ++ expressions, statements such as (c++)++; won't work as expected.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Yes, my load for .38 Special is: 158 grain Semi WC over 4.0 grains of Unique with Win. Small Pistol primers.
    OAL=1.435

Member #
    Liked
    18415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
    ...The powder I use is AA#2, which is very close to Bullseye...
    I still use Bullseye on ocassion but switched to AA#2 for most of my target loads because it burned so much cleaner in my guns, and was not near as "smokey" on indoor ranges; and the burn rates are so close you can use the same loading data (with the usual precautions).
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links