Well, ye sayers of doom and gloom, I have reloaded both aluminum and steel in 9mm and 45 ACP. And fired them with a degree of success.

Only a few years ago, there was a monstrous amount of them fired at the black powder range of the club where I am a member, and left all over the ground.

My kids and I policed the whole place, gathered them all. Some of the steel 45's were WWII US-made and boxer-primed. The 9mm's were foreign and domestic. There were no revolver cases in this deal. I ditched the Berdan, as I had no tools nor the patience to do it without tools, even if I COULD have found berdan pistol primers, and could have bought a hundred primers just for a dozen rounds..

Just for the experiment, I reloaded a handfull of each flavor with standard loadings of CAST LEAD RN. (I don't know how the aluminum would have fared with JACKETED, maybe not so well). They all reloaded to within SAAMI spec sizes, with no difficulties. They all fed and fired and extracted properly, through a Remington-Rand WWII 1911A1 and a S&W Model 39 as well as a BHP clone (FEG). I reloaded the empties I could find and again they miked within spec, both before and after reloading. They fired again without incident. I had no means to do metallurgical testing on the cases before or after, and though they seemed like they would stand another go, I quit there because it satisfied my curiosity.

Yes, of course I had already heard all the reasons why it SHOULD not be done, but the old-timers I have spoken with (these were the geezers who made their own jacketed bullets from .22LR casings and pieces of lead swaged together) said that during and after WWII, when ammo was still in short supply, they did reload the steel 45's a number of times. They said they liked the irridite-plated cases best, as they seemed to go through the old steel sizing dies easiest.

My personal conclusion is: It CAN be done, but when there is no real need to, it ain't worth the effort/risk. However, if it is ZOMBIES - - - - well then, the ends DO justify. . . . . . . .

Flash