Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Preferred powder for 9mm target loads?

10K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  shootah800 
#1 ·
Just wondering what powder y'all use for your 9mm target loads. I'm giving 231 a try with 124 gr. FMJ.

#3 ·
I've never tried 231 in 9mm but it's been done successfully a lot. Tite will work just fine. So will 4.6 ~ 4.8-gr of Unique, and about 7.0-gr of AA#7 and of course Silhouette. As long as they're just going to be target loads you don't have to get too imaginative. Red Dot or Green Dot also works.

But "target" to me is not formal bullseye, meaning you may have really tight accuracy standards that are above my "target/plinking" endeavours.

#5 ·
For Cast and Plated Target Loads, most all I use these days is WST. Very clean burning, low flash, and meters extremely well.

9mm Load Data

4.8 grains of WST under a Berry's 124 grain Flat Point, Winchester Primer, most any Brass. Average Velocity is 1130 fps.

For a Cast 124 grn Flat Point, reduce to 4.6 grains of WST. Average Velocity is 1080 fps.

For 124 grn FMJ's, (OAL= 1.15)
5.2 grains of WST (1140 fps)
5.0 grains of Alliant Green Dot (1160 fps) (great for Lugers and Glocks)
4.7 grains of Alliant Red Dot (1120 fps) also good for Lugers and Glocks)
Note: the last two powder charges also work with 115 FMJ's (OAL=1.135) and produce slightly less or similar velocities

#10 ·
I use a 115FMJ with 6.7 gr AA#5, and get excellent averages, ES, & SD, all at 1130 fps.

However, I find that 4.5 gr Titegroup will do just about that, and give great numbers, too - cheaper !

Standard disclaimer applies here: These loads may not be safe or prudent for use in YOUR particular gun. Follow recognized relaoding manuals and begin at "starting load" and work up carefully.

Flash

#12 ·
fl4guy said:
Do you know the velocity of the 115 with 4.2grBE? Gotta be a screamer!
Probably not a screamer as Lyman's Max load is 4.9 grains of Bullseye for approx 1220 fps. I regularly load 4.8 grains of Red Dot, which is a similar powder, and get 1180 fps.

#16 ·
stallard said:
I use 4.2grains of Titegroup with my 124gr bullets (Berry's plated), shoots good in my SR9c and wife's CZ85.
I run slightly less (~4.1) Titegroup under a Precision Delta for most practice and matches. Makes PF in the pistols I use for those matches. I have run it all the way to 4.4 gr, the max load, in the heavier all-steel guns.

I have also shot HP-38 and its cousin, Win 231, around the same weight.

I like the feel of 5.2 gr of WSF loads (but don't use it since it's hard to find where I am), and 5.8 gr of Ramshot True Blue. When those slower powders are shot out of a 9mm carbine though, they kick with much more authority.

#22 ·
I use 4.2 gr of Bullseye, as well. It does really well with my cast bullets. I use the Lee 124 gr LRN mold, and with wheel weight lead straight up, it throws bullets at about 118 grains.

I like to use Bullseye, mostly because I can use it for my .45's as well, with great results... Just change up the powder measure so it drops 5.0 grains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.