Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Do I need the Lee "factory crimp die"?

I am looking into getting the Lee 50th anniversary press kit to do 45 colt. It is a single stage and come with 3 bushings for dies. Lee sells 2 die kits for 45 colt, one with a factory crimp die and one without.

Do I need to do the factory crimp? Therefor I need to get a spare bushing from Lee, or do you guys just skip the factory crimp?

Member #
    Liked
    1490 times

Re: Do I need the Lee "factory crimp die"?

I use the Factory Crimp Die on auto cartridges and the roll crimp on revolver cartridges. I like the roll crimp for heavy recoiling guns.
    Character and Ethics count, don't leave home without them. Or your CCW!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1737 times

Probably depends on how hot you load. I've always used the 3-die set for both my 9mms and 45 acps, but - - - - - these are not defense loads, mostly target. (I buy the HD/SD loads.) Hot loads, like 357s, get roll crimped.

If I was using them in an HD or SD weapon, I'd probably buy that 4th crimp die.

the nice thing about Lee is that you can calways buy it after the fact from Midway or someone, even if you have the 3-die set.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

I used to use a FCD with 38 special, 357 magnum and 45acp, just because everyone said that was the best way to load. I then tried crimping with seating and after a brief learning period sold them all (the FCD's). In my opinion it isn't needed or helpful. The extra step is just more work in your case and the results while shooting will not be improved. At least that was my experience.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Member #
    Liked
    883 times

I started using a FCD for the .40 S&W loads fed to my Kel Tec Sub 2000. I do this because of the scary bullet set-back experienced after roll crimping. So now I use the FCD on all rounds fired in my auto loaders. I sleep better at night.
    THREE TYPES OF PEOPLE YOU MEET IN LIFE:
    -THOSE WHO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WATCH THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WONDER WHAT HAPPENED!!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for all of my pistol calibers: 44mag. 44 Special, 45ACP, 38 Special and 9mm. They work great and you'll never have a failure to feed as the die post-sizes the cartridge and smooths out the bumps creating a concentric cartridge. Highly recommended!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

I, too, use them for all pistol cartridges because I prefer to seat and crimp in separate and distinct operations. Since my Dillon is a four-station press, it's the logical way to load.

I learned the hard way (pre-Dillon) that seating and crimping in the same die just did not give me the same consistency of performance.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

thanks guys, i just ordered the kit and a 4 die set. hopefully the included 4 bushings.

Member #
    Liked
    84 times

I have a factory crimp die for .40/10mm. but not for .45, 9mm. I got the 10mm sets lightly used and they just happen to come that way. Glad it did because for some reason nickel plated cases won't crimp with a seating die, I can turn them or push them in. brass cases crimp just fine.

with a 45colt you probably won't need the factory crimp die but for a few bucks more it's a handy thing to have just in case.
    Go your way now, go with God, bag full of guns…

Check out my Pro Gun T-Shirts at http://www.cafepress.com/hotsky

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Wolf
    I have a factory crimp die for .40/10mm. but not for .45, 9mm. I got the 10mm sets lightly used and they just happen to come that way. Glad it did because for some reason nickel plated cases won't crimp with a seating die, I can turn them or push them in. brass cases crimp just fine.

with a 45colt you probably won't need the factory crimp die but for a few bucks more it's a handy thing to have just in case.
    Nickle-plated cases are harder than plain brass.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links