Reloading 8x57 is expensive - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Reloading 8x57 is expensive

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    As far as brass goes, try lurking on this site: 8mm Mauser (8x57 & 8x57JS) | Range Brass They're out of stock right now, but it comes up every now and again and at a very attractive price, plus most of it will be boxer primed. Even if you wanted to mess with Berdan primers, they are very hard to get.

Same with these guys: Once Fired Rifle Brass for Sale | Diamond K Brass They too are out of stock right now, but they also show up with it from time to time - and it almost immediately disappears.
    Yissnakk likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    38843 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I've looked in to bullet swaging. Requires some expensive equipment, not sure how long it'd take to pay off the hardware.
    You can powder coat cast bullets, it is pretty effective at pushing lead at highers velocities with no leading issues. Some people make way to much work out of the powder coating process. There are ok powders out there that give ok results and there are excellent powders out there that get the job done quickly with one coat. YouTubers have already done the research for you taking the guess work out of what powder/color combos work.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Reform .270 win brass to 8x57. There is always plenty to be picked up at the range. That's what I shoot through my 98k.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18043 times
    what companies still load factory for the 8 X 57?
    last I saw was Norma and thats about all that I remember seeing available in factory loads, .
    other than the occasional FMJ military.
    use to see a good bit of factory 7 Mauser around, Ruger chambered quite a few rifles in that in the 80-90;s so more companies loaded for it then.
    Kind of the same for my Ruger in 250-3000 Savage, I got about 200-250 cases that I keep for it , I don't haven't shot it in quite a while but ammo is hard to fond for it as well.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    6558 times
    Sold out now but I see this ammo cheap all the time at AIM in their eblasts. https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...x&groupid=6953

Just buy a few boxes of ammo and save the brass. I usually catch Midsouth or Midway during their blemished bullets sales and stock up on bullets. I haven't shot it in years, but I have one of those Commission 88 rifles and they are gems. Love that sodium cooled barrel. 8mm Mauser appears to me to be cheaper to find than 7mm Mauser.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched Overhead. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

I went to see the Movie "13 Hours" and you should too. They died and Hilliary lied. No protests, no video, just an Al Qaida attack.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Almost Michigan Almost Ohio - bat country!
    Liked
    4264 times
    Check these guys out for bullets:

Missouri Bullet Company

I haven't used the Mauser bullets, but their 7.62 .311 bullets work great

and these guys for brass, when it's in stock:

8MM Mauser Once Fired Brass from Diamond K Brass

DiamondK tends to get their brass in often but it also goes out quickly. Set up an alert for it and act quickly.

PPU still makes new ammo and I've gotten some from both PSA and my LGS at different times.
    Last edited by Yissnakk; 06-20-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    "Trump Administration - Punching everyone in the face since 2017!"
    -anonymously accredited to ISSMER

Supporting Member

Member #
    Almost Michigan Almost Ohio - bat country!
    Liked
    4264 times
    Found this too (600 rounds brass cased but berdan primed...):

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/655713145

But here is some of the PRVI brass cased boxer primed:

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/...round-box.html
    Last edited by Yissnakk; 06-20-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    "Trump Administration - Punching everyone in the face since 2017!"
    -anonymously accredited to ISSMER

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    20211 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    what companies still load factory for the 8 X 57?
    last I saw was Norma and thats about all that I remember seeing available in factory loads, .
    other than the occasional FMJ military.
    use to see a good bit of factory 7 Mauser around, Ruger chambered quite a few rifles in that in the 80-90;s so more companies loaded for it then.
    Kind of the same for my Ruger in 250-3000 Savage, I got about 200-250 cases that I keep for it , I don't haven't shot it in quite a while but ammo is hard to fond for it as well.
    I've found it available and also some of the more affordable is steel cased fmj from Privi Partizan.

If your .250=3000 is like my .257 Roberts, you can greatly improve on ballistics with judicious handloading. I don't bother with factory loads in .257 Roberts, not sure how available they are. There was a brief resurgence in interest of the caliber 30 years ago and Winchester came out with a"+P" version of the cartridge in the silvertip line, but handloading is how you get .257 Roberts to perform. I killed a couple of deer with that Winchester stuff, though. It worked okay and was fairly accurate.

Last edited by NativeTexan; 06-20-2017 at 02:06 PM.
    Yissnakk and olfarhors like this.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector

Member #
    Liked
    4701 times
    I cast Lyman 323470, 165 gr. gas checked and sized .325. Superb accuracy and I load it to 2000 FPS+/-. Works well in a Kar 98 and a VZ24.
    NativeTexan likes this.
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    18043 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I've found it available and also some of the more affordable is steel cased fmj from Privi Partizan.

If your .250=3000 is like my .257 Roberts, you can greatly improve on ballistics with judicious handloading. I don't bother with factory loads in .257 Roberts, not sure how available they are. There was a brief resurgence in interest of the caliber 30 years ago and Winchester came out with a"+P" version of the cartridge in the silvertip line, but handloading is how you get .257 Roberts to perform. I killed a couple of deer with that Winchester stuff, though. It worked okay and was fairly accurate.

MY only need for factory ammo is for the reloadable brass.
    many times you can buy standard factory ammo cheaper than you can virgin new brass.
    the trick is to find the ammo available and at a reasonable price..
    I use to reload both the 87 and 100 grain in the 250, that's what I still have in the ammo cabinet, as long as we got brass we are in good shape as there are tons of great 25 caliber projectiles out there.
    BBGun likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links