Taurus Firearm Forum banner

First reloading issue

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  olfarhors 
#1 ·
Well, inevitably with starting doing my own reloads im going to have my first reloading issue.

did a batch of 100 9mm last week and took them to the range and was getting a lot of light primer strikes with the rounds not going off. my mate had a look and it appears i wasnt seating the primers fully.

so next batch i need to concentrate harder on the up stroke on my press and ensure that i give it a firm push.

#9 ·
i think i just got over confident. ive only been loading on this press a month, but have loaded around 1000 rounds (which isnt a lot i know) on my mates presses (another square deal and a 650) and this is the first time ive had an issue.
Trust me, it won't be your last, especially using a progressive.

Reactions: jtg452
#6 ·
You'll get used to the feel of the arm when it seats fully. Don't crush it, but don't let the primer look like it's flush with the primer pocket, or worse, sticking out further than the pocket. You can always put the round back in and give it a little more push. ;)

#7 ·
Every round I load I swipe my finger across the primer looking for primers not seated properly after if comes off the press. I use a turret press so I have to take the cartridge off myself. I seat primers on the press and if have developed a feel for it, I can tell when I hit a S&B brass as the primer is harder to seat. Federal brass the primers tend to seat real easy and I occasionally have to double check that there was actually a primer inserted.

#8 ·
This is why I use a hand-priming tool. I can feel when the primer seats and stops. Making sure the primer pocket is absolutely clean really helps, too.

#10 ·
My Lee 1000 does not seat the primer to the bottom of the pocket so I hand prime all my cases I load on that press. My old Dillon RL450 does a fantastic job and you can feel them seat. I use my RCBS Rockchucker for all my rifle rounds and it does a great job.

#11 ·
What used to miff me with my Dillon SD is I'd get a round now and then, inexplicably with an upside down primer.

Yes, priming off the press is a much better deal.. I wore out a Lee hand primer back in the day, bought a cheap C press and put a Lee priming tool on it. It has good feel to it. I prim ON the press, though, with my Lee Turret and my Lyman turret. They both do a good job.

#12 ·
One thing I would not be concerned with is the possibility of crushing a primer when seated. I load semi-progressive on a LEE Classic Turret press. It has top-dead-center which is a means of ensuring that the ram stops travel at the same point on each upstroke. I push the lever to that point when priming just as I do for every stage. Semi-progressive loading is what I like because I can feel what is occurring at every die station and top-dead-center is a feature that I prefer to have on any press and that started with REDDING single-stage presses. ;)

Reactions: william
#14 ·
I'm also new to progressive Dillon square Deal I've learned to feel the primer seat and can usually tell when one isn't right I've had one seat upside down and several primers seat sideways they definitely have a different feel to them While seating it's an easy fix now that I know what to feel for you can take the bullet out at each station I just take the case out and the damaged primer almost falls out then I prime the case with a hand primer then replace the case I need to call Dillon and talk to them because I can't find any reason to cause it.

#17 ·
Sometimes the faster that you go the behinder that you get!

#20 ·
HMM?
Obviously then you did not attend the Rottiejake School of Reloading!!------:D
speaking of which I haven't seen Rottie around for awhile, wonder if he's alright?

#23 ·
I can relate to that. I'm using a Lee Pro 1000 that I picked up used. It is in very nice condition and was complete accept for the case feed tubes and primer tray cover. Paid $90.00 for it.

It took a bit to get used to it and go thru the learning curve and now I find it reliable and easy to work with. And yes I do everything on press.

#22 ·
I like the CCI primers never had a miss fire on them. With a light strike on the primer it seems to be to far in not sticking out, did you measure your casings it may be possable they are to short causing it to drop in the barrel to far. I use the lee classic turret, they work very well sitting the primer.

#25 ·
I have always used CCI primers, that like for about 40 years of reloading or so.
had very few problems from them until I got EAA Elite Match that has a 2 1/2 - 3 pound trigger pull and exceptionally light main spring, I get a failure to fire say maybe every 2-300 rounds or so.
its a strictly range pistol but I might get some Winchester primers to see if that fixes that minor problem.

#27 ·
there are a couple of neighbors that are from New York that go to our monthly neighbors breakfast.
they seem to be pretty friendly but they do have some strange (to me) ideas and ways.
and I haven't even worn my Confederate T -shirt to any of the breakfasts yet either!!------:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.