Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times

Reloads for 45 long colt?

Just wondering what kind of Powder, and bullits most of the good people out there reload this particular bullet with? also what are your'e favorite recipes? any info would be great.
    US ARMY, BIG RED ONE 1970-1978. A TEXAN FOR LIFE, GRAND KID'S NOW, WIFE FOREVER, LIFE IS GOOD.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Re: Reloads for 45 long colt?

Quote Originally Posted by caryg
    Just wondering what kind of Powder, and bullits most of the good people out there reload this particular bullet with? also what are your'e favorite recipes? any info would be great.
    The assembled round is called a cartridge, not a bullet.

The best thing to do is use the load data in the published reloading manuals, rather than untested data from some guy on an Internet forum. One such manual that is available free is this one:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

It covers Hodgden, IMR and Winchester powders.

Allient's Unique is also a very popular powder, and one of my favorites. Allient's on-line loading guide is not as extensive, but it's available at:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...rs/index.aspx&

A couple of printed manuals from Speer, Sierra or Hornady are good investments, as well.

Member #
    Liked
    1951 times

I cast my own and load in accordance with load data pertaining to my bullet weight. My original data comes from old Lyman, Ideal and the 30 year old RCBS cast bullet handbooks. Some of the old powders have been discontinued. Modern powders such as N100, Trail Boss work well. The old standards such as Unique are still in heavy use. Do a lot of reading and studying and it will enlighten you to the point of developing your own favorites.
    Good shooting!!!!!!!!!!!
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    64 times

I have all the reloading manuals for the 45 lc bullit, er (cartridge) I was just wondering what bullit weight and type and powder most of you use.
    US ARMY, BIG RED ONE 1970-1978. A TEXAN FOR LIFE, GRAND KID'S NOW, WIFE FOREVER, LIFE IS GOOD.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

When I loaded .45 Colt I used 250 grain Keith style boolits and enough Unique to get 900+ fps to about duplicate it's original loading. As I had a Ruger Blackhawk, I did occasionally use 296 from the "Ruger only" load data to get almost 1300 fps from the 7 1/2 barrel I had. In a strong gun a handloader can really soup up the .45 Colt.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    66 times

What are you loading it for? What kind of gun?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus Fan
    When I loaded .45 Colt I used 250 grain Keith style boolits and enough Unique to get 900+ fps to about duplicate it's original loading. As I had a Ruger Blackhawk, I did occasionally use 296 from the "Ruger only" load data to get almost 1300 fps from the 7 1/2 barrel I had. In a strong gun a handloader can really soup up the .45 Colt.
    Yup, and the recoil gets souped up, too.

I load for a 1972 4 5/8" SuperBlackhawk on a brass Super Dragoon grip frame. It was a limited production gun (only a few hundred, if I remember correctly) and the gun dealer made me a VERY good on it because nobody wanted the brass grip frame. If I could only keep one gun, it would be a toss-up between it and my 4" Python.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I load a 200 gr SWC that is popular for 45 ACP. I apply a moderate roll crimp right at the shoulder. The load looks a bit strange with only the bullet cone sticking out of the big 45 colt case. I use 6 gr Bullseye or 7 gr W231 or HP38 over a CCI large pistol primer. The accuarcy is far better that anything else I've experimented with in my 25-5, Anaconda, and Blackhawk. For a more traditional load I use the same components with a 255 gr hard cast SWC. Accuracy is still quite good but not exceptional like the 200 gr SWC.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

I've never tried 200 gr bullets. All my plinking rounds are 185g SWC over 8g of Unique. My serious rounds are the Sierra 185g JHC or Hornady 250g JSP. Both are loaded to .44 mag levels. I've used the 185g on Texas coyotes and small javelina and the 250 on larger javelina and on Whitetail deer. Boy, that's been a LONG time ago - mid-70s.

While the 185g Sierra is still in production, the 250g Hornady has been replaced; they no longer make a JSP in any .45 diameter.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Just about all my reloading of the .45 LC has been recent, since I picked up a .410/.45 JUDGE. I've been using "Coyboy" loads, WLP behind 6.5 grains of UNIQUE behind a Hornady 255 grain LRNFP. Agreed, that's pretty light stuff, but I heard horror tales about putting hot loads in a JUDGE.

So, would any of you JUDGE loaders be willing to share your reloaded cartridge specs with me, especially noting the model of JUDGE in which the cartridges are used? Also, if you're using factory ammo, I'd be interesed in hearing about that also.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links