New powder time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New powder time.

Member #
    Liked
    5644 times

New powder time.

I'm not out, but you know how it is.... Thinking of Universal for HBWC (38 spcl) & some 800 fps'ish SWC-HP loads. I still use Trail Boss for my 158 target loads. I'm hoping for expansion in 3-4 water jugs from a 4" 82. Using Hornady data working up to their listing for 800 fps; standard pressure.

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk
    1. Muzzle Controll: Always point in a safe direction
    2. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    3. Keep it unloaded until ready to use.
    4. Know your target and what is beyond.

Please consider joining the NRA
    If you buy a new Taurus, it's FREE

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19355 times
    I like Tite Group you might give it a look....
    tooboocoo, SixFalls and 44wcf like this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    6448 times
    Universal (Clays) is a bit denser than Unique and may be leaving a lot of empty space in your .38SPL case. Accurate #7, Unique, Ramshot Silhouette, or I have heard of good results in revolver cartridges with Power Pistol, which I normally think of as a good auto pistol cartridge powder.
    SixFalls likes this.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched Overhead. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

I went to see the Movie "13 Hours" and you should too. They died and Hilliary lied. No protests, no video, just an Al Qaida attack.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    While my experience with it is somewhate limited, I like Universal for 38 Special and +P loads. I find it almost identical to HP-38 for metering, charge weights, and accuracy with 158 gr bullets. Haven't used if for wadcutters (I use either Berry HBWC or X-treme DEWC bullets) but have used a lot of HP-38 for wadcutters and am very satisfied. BTW, I don't find any measureable difference in accuracy between plated HBWC and DEWC bullets, but I'm far from an expert shot.
    SixFalls likes this.
    CAPT, USNR(ret)
    Mechanical Engineer (retired)
    Ex-Hunter, current Target Shooter

"Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it."-- Doug Larson,American newspaper columnist

Supporting Member

Member #
    Between the Trinity and Brazos Rivers in the real Lonesome Dove.
    Liked
    7167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Universal (Clays) is a bit denser than Unique and may be leaving a lot of empty space in your .38SPL case. Accurate #7, Unique, Ramshot Silhouette, or I have heard of good results in revolver cartridges with Power Pistol, which I normally think of as a good auto pistol cartridge powder.
    Power Pistol tends to be a bit temperature sensitive in hot weather.
    SixFalls likes this.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." - Edmund Burke

Sand Lake 2014 TA Gathering
    Sand Lake 2016 TA Gathering
    Rapid City 2016 TA Gathering

Member #
    Liked
    6448 times
    Universal (Clays) is almost identical to Unique, just denser, low flash and a little cleaner burning. SR-7625 is another powder with the same burn rate, just a little denser than Unique. Of those three Unique, I would think, would be the better revolver powder due to the fact that it is less dense and will fill more of the case than the other two. HP-38/Win 231 (same powder) is a lot faster burning than Universal.

I had not heard, or noticed, that Power Pistol was temperature sensitive. That is good to know.

When you are looking for new powders, this burn rate chart is a good source of information: http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...burn_rates.pdf

You will still need to find out specific density and type (ball/spherical, stick, etc.), but I usually take this chart with me shopping, just in case the powder I am looking for is unavailable.
    SixFalls likes this.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched Overhead. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

I went to see the Movie "13 Hours" and you should too. They died and Hilliary lied. No protests, no video, just an Al Qaida attack.

Member #
    Liked
    5644 times
    Great info guys. Let me add some details to my plight. I will keep on using Trail Boss for my 158gr loads. It has become a pet load of mine. I'm worrying less and less about a duel roll for this powder. So, let's look at it from a defensive load point of view, from a snubby. 110 gr, with a faster powder like 700x, or something slower like universal? My Hornady book seems to have better data for the Hodgdon powders. Taurus 85ul. Carried in town, so reduced penatration is attractive.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Personal opinion:
    I find powders faster than Unique/Universal to be best for wadcutters in .38 Spl. If using a HBWC, do not exceed 775fps (the skirt starts to separate from the rest of the bullet at 800fps or so). You leave the skirt in the barrel, and you'll wish you had NOT tried to get "800 fps-ish" as you get a new barrel installed (and you hope that is all you will need to replace).
    Best powders I have found are: Bullseye, AA2, Red Dot, 231/HP38, Solo 1000.

PS: it doesn't matter about barrel length--the powder that gives the highest velocity with a 12" barrel will give the highest velocity with a 1" barrel (though the velocity will still be less from the 1" barrel).
    Last edited by noylj; 01-13-2017 at 03:17 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    5644 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Personal opinion:
    I find powders faster than Unique/Universal to be best for wadcutters in .38 Spl. If using a HBWC, do not exceed 775fps (the skirt starts to separate from the rest of the bullet at 800fps or so). You leave the skirt in the barrel, and you'll wish you had NOT tried to get "800 fps-ish" as you get a new barrel installed (and you hope that is all you will need to replace).
    Best powders I have found are: Bullseye, AA2, Red Dot, 231/HP38, Solo 1000.

PS: it doesn't matter about barrel length--the powder that gives the highest velocity with a 12" barrel will give the highest velocity with a 1" barrel (though the velocity will still be less from the 1" barrel).
    Read the post above yours.

Member #
    Liked
    5644 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SixFalls View Post
    . Actually, test have shown that faster powders usually provide better velocity from shorter barrels. I have data for this on my PC, but I'm currently on my phone. This isn't unilaterally true, but certainly relevant. For HBWC loads, l like Red Dot, but typically favor SWC in front of Trail Boss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links