powder recommendations - what's worked good for you - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: powder recommendations - what's worked good for you

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    mingaa...e3 is a shotgun powder that has shown good results for 9's. A number of folks over on the brian enos forum use it and have recipes listed there. I'll pm you with mine.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. - C. Mallouhi (author)

Member #
    Liked
    22746 times
    Cool. I'm on Enos - must have missed it.
    I have a pound on the shelf.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
    .................................................. ...........................................
    Noam Chomsky

Member #
    Liked
    1749 times
    I use titegroup for most all of my 9, 40, 45 and 38spl. It works well, but there is a small charge weight range. It's not particularly clean burning, but it is cheap... $19lb.
    mingaa, gbusmech and Yissnakk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    22746 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellows1 View Post
    I use titegroup for most all of my 9, 40, 45 and 38spl. It works well, but there is a small charge weight range. It's not particularly clean burning, but it is cheap... $19lb.
    I know a number of shooters that do just the same and YEAH the price is right. i have a lot in stock and it sits as one of my my back up powders if something else evaporates in pistol powder!
    .................................................. ...........................................
    Noam Chomsky

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19378 times
    I use the standard Hodgdon products like many here...HP38/W231 for the pistol calibers and H110/W296 for the .357 and .44 magnum fuller power loads. H-335, Benchmark and BL2-C for the .223 I find to be almost too similar to find a difference. Like Hombre I am a target shooter and if they ignite and punch holes in paper I am happy. When I am off target it is most always me and not the ammo. Because of this desire to produce "factory-like" ammo, the powder crunch made me very unhappy. I did try Universal for the pistol rounds then thanks to a forum member here, choosing it over Titegroup for the charge weight range as well as case volume. When the charge is hugging the bottom of the case I am less comfortable, much preferring to be able to see the powder and be more able to visually check against a double charge.

I also use the H-110 and Lil Gun for .300 BLK and have obscure Vihtavuori and a shotgun powder from Spain that I grabbed when the drought was going on. They're on the shelf until the next one, although I have a fairly good stock of the powders mentioned above.

I'll sticky this thread for future reference ease.
    MoKen, william and Peacemakr40 like this.
    It is difficult to gain the truth from the media in this age. It is a huge puzzle with small pieces. In order to solve it, one must have perseverance, all of the pieces, imagination, time, and most of all...the desire to put the picture together. Our real trouble is that there are far too few people today with the desire to do this.

Member #
    Liked
    614 times
    I use Hodgdon data quite often. Its usually my bench mark. They aren't alwaysconservative but have given me good results in the rifles especially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    I use the standard Hodgdon products like many here...HP38/W231 for the pistol calibers and H110/W296 for the .357 and .44 magnum fuller power loads. H-335, Benchmark and BL2-C for the .223 I find to be almost too similar to find a difference. Like Hombre I am a target shooter and if they ignite and punch holes in paper I am happy. When I am off target it is most always me and not the ammo. Because of this desire to produce "factory-like" ammo, the powder crunch made me very unhappy. I did try Universal for the pistol rounds then thanks to a forum member here, choosing it over Titegroup for the charge weight range as well as case volume. When the charge is hugging the bottom of the case I am less comfortable, much preferring to be able to see the powder and be more able to visually check against a double charge.

I also use the H-110 and Lil Gun for .300 BLK and have obscure Vihtavuori and a shotgun powder from Spain that I grabbed when the drought was going on. They're on the shelf until the next one, although I have a fairly good stock of the powders mentioned above.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Member #
    Liked
    22746 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post

W296 (H-110) is my go to range powder for 300 BLK. I get some really accurate 150/155 rounds with it 110 as well. it is readily available. I've been looking for Lil Gun locally since I built the gun - long hun now BUT I am able to get Accurate 5744 and 1680 locally (not as often as W296) - the will go a tad hotter than the 296 and with a mag primer and a 175/178 bullet i can make major Power Factor if needed.

I'm anxious to try W296 in my 357 mag - still playing with rounds in that gun. I've done well with Accurate #9 and Alliant 2400 but W296 looks like the BOMB - literally!!!
    Noam Chomsky

Member #
    Liked
    5740 times
    In case you guys didn't know, Win 296 and Hodgdon H-110 are the very same powder coming out of the same gun powder spigot at Saint Marks(?), just different labels on the cans/bottles. I usually just look and see which is the cheapest and buy it. Same thing with Win 231 and HP-38.

Accurate 4100 and Ramshot Enforcer (They too are the same powder) were supposed to be their version of Win 296, but their burn rate is the same as Lil Gun, just a tad faster than Win 296. Accurate 2200 is their version of Reloader 7 and the same burn rate, BTW. Accurate 1680 is a copy of Win 680 and 5744 is just a tad faster in burn rate.
    Peacemakr40 likes this.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched Overhead. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

I went to see the Movie "13 Hours" and you should too. They died and Hilliary lied. No protests, no video, just an Al Qaida attack.

Member #
    Liked
    5506 times
    I shoot a lot of Trail Boss in .38 spcl. It's my favorite when loading 158 grain lead loads

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk
    gbusmech likes this.
    1. Muzzle Controll: Always point in a safe direction
    2. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    3. Keep it unloaded until ready to use.
    4. Know your target and what is beyond.

Please consider joining the NRA
    If you buy a new Taurus, it's FREE

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18804 times
    I also like Trail Boss, I use it for light loads in .38 Special/.357 Magnum, .45acp, .45 Colt for practice and Cowboy Action Shooting. Clean burning and case filling with narry a chance of a gun killing double charge....
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links