Taurus Firearm Forum banner

New Xtreme 124 grain Has A Concave Base

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  olfarhors 
#1 ·
I noticed the extra alpha characters on the stencil on the box. I've been loading a flat base bullet. What's the difference in ballistics if any?

#2 ·
I've wondered the same.

Slight increase in case volume to allow larger load?

Read an old reference to tapered tail walls will expand for a better seal but with today's .001 oversized bullets I'd bet that is a defunct concept.

Ballistics experts?!?!

#3 ·
Hollow-base bullets are for improved base expansion for better gas seal in the barrel. But those are usually restricted to lower velocity loads where a flat-base bullet may not upset enough to fill the groves. Push them too fast and you will blow the skirts off the hollow base. If a bullet is 0.001" over bore diameter, you probably don't need hollow-base bullets.

Reactions: lwb92af and mingaa
#4 ·
Expanding the base should alter the geometry of the bullet and affect accuracy. Any info on this?

#8 ·
AHH? is this a plated projectile or a lead projectile?
doubt that you are going to get the tail of a plated projectile to expand much.

#6 ·
I just looked at my order...the alpha soup means heavy plate, concave base.

9mm - 124 RN HPCB

Reactions: darbo and olfarhors
#7 ·
Looks like you paid around $5.46 more per 500 for those. I think they may be a good choice for a carbine at higher velocities.

Reactions: olfarhors
#9 ·
think if you check they are rated for a higher FPS.

#13 ·
Some people don't listen. Knew my bullets should be delivered today at work, warehouse guy is out, told the ladies to just leave the box where ever UPS puts it, it will be heavy, let me know it is here and I will come get it.

Do they listen, of course not. All I hear is "But the box was so small." Yes it was, but that sucker clocked in at 62 ponds. Luckily she did not get hurt.

1000 .38/.357 and 1000 255gr .45 Colt to get stashed away for later :) For the first time since I started reloading I am finally happy with the quantity of bullets I have put away.

Powder is almost where I want it 1 8# jug of Unique and I am set.

Next on the list is primers. I am not low by any means, just not where I want to be.

Hopefully I can get to where I want to be before the next crisis. After that I will simply go back to maintaining what I have, a lot easier on the wallet that way.

#14 ·
My normal mail person is a lady, she just loves seeing those small boxes that I get.

#15 ·
My mail lady won't even attempt to deliver them, I get the orange card in the mail box to come pick up a package at the post office. I find it is just easier to get everything sent to work. Plus I don't have to worry about it walking off my steps if I'm not home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.