Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

to build a bullet trap

I'd like to build a bullet trap large enough to catch .45 acp lead bullets or fmj, while shooting at silhouette's. my silhouette's are about 44" high and 34" or so wide.

Im guessing a 2 foot deep, 4 foot tall and 3 foot wide box should be relatively large enough to make sure I catch any relatively wide shots. i imagine nearly every shot at the targets will be inside 25 yards. With most inside 15 yards.

Im debating about making a wooden frame. And cuting in roughly 1/4" wide grooves about 1.5" into the 4"x4" so I can side in 1/4" steel backing and side plates. Then having (3) 1/2" thick steel plates each at a 45 degree forward slanted angle. The top one would be flush against the rear. They would overlap about an inch, and the 2nd and 3rd slab would be about an inch from the rear. Hopefully to facilitate the lead bullets to gather at the bottom. The trough would be about 4 inches of sand to contain the lead bullets.

The slanted slabs would be held in place by (4) 2"x2" 's, a pair for each side. I imagine I might drill holes thru them and the 1/4" steel plate and then use bolts and nuts to hold them in place. Id space them the 1/2" apart and ensure they were at the 45 degree angle, and then slide the slabs down them.

Im guessing this is gonna be pretty heavy, and Id like it to be somewhat portable. Enough so that i could roll it on those large push mower wheels. So I can roll it out of my shed to shoot with it, then roll it back in. Maybe have 1.5' long legs on it or something.

Anyways, this is just my first rough idea on the subject and Ive been thinking about it for maybe 2 weeks now, but tonight I tried to come up with some rough drawings and ideas.

Id like to make the bullet trap, to catch my own lead, without having to rely on trying to get tire weights, lino type, or having to buy my own lead/bullets.

Any suggestions or know of anyone else who did this?

Seems like the only bullet traps Ive found online are either the snail shell shaped ones for emptying your handgun at point blank range, or the $10k+ ones for actual ranges.

Appreciate any serious thought on it or anyone who might have some solid experience on it. I feel like im trying to stop a bull with duck tape.

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    943 times

Re: to build a bullet trap

The grade of steel is important in those, just like the steel targets. Too light a quality, and you will have divots in the steel, that cause blow back of lead, and ricochet's.
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

thanks for that input, hadnt gotten that far into my details yet, ill take note on that.

Any thoughts about using maybe a couple 55 gallon drums with sand? ducktape/saran wrap holes? plastic or steel ? more/less issue with ricochets? worry about after a few hundred rounds, how will they hold up?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I have a buddy that uses a huge log and tapes targets to it. When it gets to looking bad he splits the wood most bullets fall out. Then he burns the wood scraps in one of the old flat bottom bbq grills and just peals the remaining lead out of the bottom of it. He seams to think he gets more than 100% of his lead back since a friend or two seam to donate to his log pretty regular. Don't know that this would help unless you were to go to shooting cardboard cut outs. I have a piece of 3/4 plate 5 foot x 16 inches or so, and I really think it weighs over 250# I don't know that lawn mower wheels even big ones will help to move this in and out of a shed. You may need to call a steel supplier and ask about the weight and the price. As high as steel is right now to get a piece of metal as big as you are going to need just for the back 3' x 4' will be over 200$ it may be as high as 300$. I hope this helps in some way.Let me know what you come up with, I also would like to have a good trap.
    I'll keep my freedom, money and guns you can keep the change!!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

I don't want to discourage, but that thing is gonna weigh a ton!

My little bitty target weighs about 50 lbs. And it's an 1/8" thinner than what you are considering. If you do build it, you had better post pictures!

24/7 Pro .40 S&W, PT111 Millennium Pro and the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe... Don't leave home without it.

9/11/01... NEVER FORGET.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

i will take some pics of the box me and my dad built. its basically a 4x4x6 foot box on legs. built with 1/4inch steel.
    "These Sarah Brady types must be educated to understand that because we have an armed citizenry, that a dictatorship has not happened in America. These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to Liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."
    -Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."
    - Larry Elder, radio personality

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

please do. We should be moving out to the new house in a week or so. Then Ill be doin some serious sketches and talking to the steel company down the street form the house. This is we really want to avoid having to do any welding. No one we know has the equip for it or any idea how to do it.

Appreciate the input. The weight hadnt really crossed my mind!! thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

where do you live? if i may ask
    "These Sarah Brady types must be educated to understand that because we have an armed citizenry, that a dictatorship has not happened in America. These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to Liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

NC, out in the country, 1.5 acres of land. ill be shooting towards tabacco and soy bean fields.

Want to be able to retrieve my lead for reloading.

We went ahead and canceled out on the barrel idea. We also dont want to deal with any replacing of worn out materials.

Pretty much cancels out making a wooden box type with some random filler material, like sand or water.

We will be shooting 90%+ lead round nose bullets. the first few hundred rounds will be fmj though Though since friends may use it, I do want it to handle up to 45 acp fmj.

We just cant decide ob either one big metal sheet at an angle, or maybe 3-4 smaller ones angled at 45 degrees, so that they look like a pair of blinds.

Either one with some sort of sand bottom to grab them.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

crap...i will take pics tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links