Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

PT22, thoughts? Reviews?

Anybody have one of these? I might like to get one, but I'd like to hear stories...

Todd
    You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!!! (Frederick von Frankenstein in Young Frankenstein)

Member #
    Liked
    5249 times

Re: PT22, thoughts? Reviews?

The PT22 is a fun gun to shoot. Magazine holds 8 rounds.

The DAO trigger takes some getting use to, but is functional and not hard to use.he trigger is stiff at first, but smooths out over with use.

Have had mine know for over 5 years and had nothing but excellent service from it.

Easy to take apart for maintenance, easy to load, and not having to rack the slide to load are some of the good points. CCI standard, CCI Mini mags, Fedral generic, and Remington Golden Bullet .22lrf all function well. Definitely stay away from the hyper-velocity rounds such as Remington Yellow Jacket or CCI Stingers. Same goes for Quik Shok. Batters the gun and can cause malfunctions. This also causes timing out of battery.

This gun does not have an extractor, but relies on the gas blow back to eject the shell casing. Do not rack the slide to clear a jam as this could set off the round. One has to remove the mag and then hit the spring loaded button that releases the barrel to pop up and open. Then the gun needs to be turned upside down safely and the round removed by gravity or pulling it out with the fingers. Same goes for Beretta 21A models.

A person's hand size may play into this. Having small hands I can get a good purchase on the grip.Large hands may have some problems. There are those who use the middle finger to set off the trigger, because of this or just because they can. Don't do it. It is unsafe and detrimental to accurate shooting with pistols this small.If and when gripping with two hands, watch how close the secondary hand comes to the muzzle while shooting. Some people have let the left hand drift towards the slide or muzzle of these short barreled guns.

Like mine for plinking or as as a backup to a primary arm or last ditch weapon. It does hide well in a pocket holster and disappears completely. There is some heft to the PT22. It does make the PT22 sit rock still in the hand for so small a pistol. The bark of the cartridge from an abbreviated barrel does take some getting used to. Minor, but there to be sure. That about sums that up.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

I have one and the wife does as well. Mine has always functioned good, but hers had to make a trip to the factory. While mine will shoot everything, even cheap bulk rounds, hers will only function normally with CCI Mini Mags. The magazines seem to be the biggest issue with these guns. Only use factory Taurus mags for best results. Some mags work better than others. Taurus replaced both mag bodies on the one I sent it, and made some adjustments as well to the gun itself. Keep the gun clean. Small .22 autos hate to be dirty, and the Mini Mags seem to be a cleaner ammo as far as .22 goes. The wife likes the tip up barrel as the slide is almost impossible to rack, even for me. Overall, a good value for a small .22 auto. Nice plinker, and does see occaisional use as a back up piece. expect to pay about $180 NIB. The newer production models are more reliable than the older ones.
    "If guns cause crime, then all mine are defective." - Ted Nugent
    Taurus CIA 650 .357
    Taurus PT145 Mil Pro
    Taurus PT22

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

What Qwiks draw said. Fun little gun that is surprisingly accurate out to 15 yards or so. It even fed and functioned with some of that crappy Russian steel cased stuff that was floating around a few years ago.
    Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

The local shop had one of these for 129 used, and I missed it, still want one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsZO6G7dfpI
    http://www.laughingpond.com/watch.asp
    To be fair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stVmEmJ666M

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Bought one and am looking for another. Very comfortable grip in a small gun if you have bigger hands
    John

PT 24/7 Pro C 9mm
    PT 22 Nickle/Rosewood
    PT 22 Blue/ Gold
    Chinese SKS
    Cobra 9mm Derringer
    Beretta U22 Neos
    Kel Tec 32
    Remington 870 Tactical
    Judge 4410 Ultra Lite 3"
    Hi-Point 995 9mm Carbine
    Bersa 380 CC

Member #
    Liked
    65 times

I picked one up at a gun show used. I like it. It is fun to shoot. It is a little hard to clean, but no big deal. You can change from longer barrel to a shorter one and the grip can be changed to your liking. I put a laser on mine that I found on e-bay.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

One of my relatives has one and it is working well for them.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I just sent mine back to Taurus for repairs yesterday. The firing pin possibly broke on the second trip to the range. (That is my assessment, but I will wait to see what Taurus says for the official report.)

It's a nice little gun though and has a comfortable grip that fits well in my hands. I got the blued model with gold accents and wood grips. Kinda of foo-foo but the wife likes it and is looking forward to practicing with it when it gets back.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

qwiks how can racking the slide set off a round?
    If you can't shoot well, shoot often.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links