Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PT92 Firing Problem

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PT92 Firing Problem

Let me start by saying I'm a new gun owner and am not well versed. I have a friend who is helping me along the way. Purchased the gun 2 weeks ago but still have not had the chance to fire it. To get used to it I bought some snap caps so I could go through the motions and familiarize myself with it.

I disassembled the gun the other night to clean the original packing grease from the unit. I have it back together but now when there is a round (Snap Cap) in the chamber the trigger will not engage the hammer and the saftey can not be locked. I can pull the trigger and it has full travel but it does nothing. If I clear the chamber everything seems to work fine.

What did I do wrong? I'm hoping this is a very simple issue and being new to guns I just did something out of sequence.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    927 times
    Welcome aboard from the Gunshine State.
    This is new to me. About the only thing I can think to ask is: Did you lower the hammer while it was field stripped?
    Clear it, field-strip it and reassemble it. Ensure to not lower the hammer while the slide is off.
    Maybe someone with a lot more experience than I have will chime in, soon.
    Taurus PT-92, PT-908, PT-111Mil
    Taurus M-94, M-96, M-605

Member #
    Liked
    580 times
    Quote Originally Posted by drummin_man627 View Post
    About the only thing I can think to ask is: Did you lower the hammer while it was field stripped?
    Clear it, field-strip it and reassemble it. Ensure to not lower the hammer while the slide is off.
    +1 for re stripping and trying again. Did you just field strip or did you break it down further than that, im assuming it was just a field strip since you say you are new to guns?
    Gun control is like making it harder for sober people to own cars.
    ~Unknown

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.
    ~Charles A. Beard

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    Make sure the key saftey is turned all the way off if it is equipped with one.

Tommotto

Member #
    Liked
    428 times
    Welcome from Texas, ctanzosch. I can duplicate your symptoms by pushing the slide on my PT-92 back out of battery. If the slide fails to go forward into battery with the snap cap in the chamber, I'm inclined to suspect the snap cap. I suggest that you try another, or go to a range and try some factory ammo.
    "Freedom is not free. Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free. But we all know that, donít we?" -- Jerry Pournelle

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    mwj999 I think you win the prize today. I tried releasing the slide as opposed to holding it as it moves forward and everything seems to function correctly when I do.

I'm not so sure what difference that makes but obviously it is a major difference. Can you possibly give me an explination as to what happens following/releasing the slide? The more I know the better off we all are.

Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    2578 times
    Auto pistols in general are meant to go back into battery with some force, so don't hold the slide as it goes back into battery. Either push the slide release down, or pull the slide back and let her go. you will not hurt her either way. Now do not drop a round, or snap cap, into the chamber and release the slide as that is a good way to break your extractor (part that grabs the case rim and pulls it out). Always load your auto pistol by either dropping the slide release lever, or pulling back the slide and letting go with a loaded magazine fully inserted.
    mwj999 likes this.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    428 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ctanzosch View Post
    mwj999 I think you win the prize today. ...
    Thank you. It's gratifying to guess right once in a while. GreenWolf70 answered your question. How about a range report when you get the chance to put some rounds through it?
    "Freedom is not free. Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free. But we all know that, donít we?" -- Jerry Pournelle

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'll try but i'm having a tough time finding ammo. Apparently between Chrismas, the end of the world and the unknown regulations being batted around I have not been able to find any ammo since I purchased the gun. Once I get some and get to the range I'll report back.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ctanzosch View Post
    I'll try but i'm having a tough time finding ammo. Apparently between Chrismas, the end of the world and the unknown regulations being batted around I have not been able to find any ammo since I purchased the gun. Once I get some and get to the range I'll report back.
    OH, I forgot all about the end of the world issue as another reason for buying up anything gun-related....
    It's like when you say "SNOW" here in the South....everyone buys milk, bread, eggs and beer...so I guess they all drink after eating French toast the next day. All magazines, ammo, etc. are bought out and on backorder anywhere I've been.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links