Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chaim
  • 1 Post By MLO9
  • 1 Post By bre346

Thread: 24/7, PT809, 24/7 Compact, PT809 Compact, or PT 111 M. Pro?

Member #
    Liked
    35 times

24/7, PT809, 24/7 Compact, PT809 Compact, or PT 111 M. Pro?

So, I have recently been on a small CCW kick. My last three handgun purchases have been a Ruger LCP (love it), SIG P290RS (love it), and a Kel Tec Pf-9 (I haven't been out to the range with it yet, but dry firing, it seems about perfect for what I wanted). Now, I'm thinking something a tad bigger would be nice for now. With winter soon upon us, a bigger CCW is quite doable. I'm thinking of adding a larger compact or smaller full-sized pistol.

What I'm looking for:
    I would prefer polymer, but I'll consider alloy (polymer pistols seem to be priced pretty nicely right now though). I want it to be 28oz or lighter. I love both 9mm and .40S&W, I want at least 12 rounds capacity. I want a gun that is easier to shoot accurately, and with quicker follow up shots (i.e. handles recoil better) than my very small CCW pistols. Other than Taurus, my top contenders are the SIG P250 Compact, the CZ P07, the S&W M&P (both full-size and compact), the Ruger SR and SRc, and the Beretta Px4 (with the current prices and $50 rebate I can't ignore it- from Buds I can have it for $400 including the FFL transfer fees).

My PT 140 Millennium Pro
    I have had a 2nd generation DAO PT 140 Millennium Pro since 2005. I have had one ammo related hiccup, and the rear sight screw became loose (I ignored it and eventually lost the rear sight- no problem since I planned to add night sights anyway, and had I put on some loctite it would have solved the issue anyway). Other than that, no issues in over 2K rounds. It isn't as accurate as my full-sized guns, and I would like it to be a little more accurate, but it isn't bad. For a smallish CCW pistol it is more than accurate enough though. It is small and concealable, yet I can get a full hand grip on the gun (even my pinky). I find that it handles the recoil of .40S&W quite comfortably. I know that the trigger was always one of the complaints everyone had online about the DAO Millennium Pros, but I always liked it better than many other striker fired DAO pistols I've fired or dry fired, and now after so many rounds it is quite smooth and comfortable. It is one of my favorite CCW pistols and sees time in my CCW rotation when I am somewhere I can carry.

My love for the PT140 Millennium Pro has me considering the PT111, even though I really do want something a little bigger. Still, it is similar to a gun I already love, and holds 12 rounds of 9mm (while I love .40S&W, I am more than comfortable with 9mm).

Manual of Arms:
    I used to sometimes carry a 1911 so I liked DAO guns or those with a 1911 style safety (frame mounted, up is safe, down is fire). However, over the years, I have found that my S&W 1911SC gets less and less holster time and more and more I rely on DAO or DA/SA with a decocker only for my carry guns. For home defense I use only revolvers and DAO or DA/SA (decocker only) pistols and have for many years because I don't want to mess with a safety if awakened from my sleep by an intruder at 3am. I know that Taurus addressed the complaints about the trigger by making the 3rd gen M. Pros SA/DA guns. Do they have the Taurus style safety/decocker where you can carry SA with a 1911 style safety or decock the gun for a DA first pull like they do with the PT92 (and I believe the 24/7 and 809 have this as well), or are you stuck with using the safety? This would keep me from getting the current gen Millennium Pro. Am I correct that the 24/7 and PT809 (and compact versions) can be carried in condition one or they can be decocked and carried with a DA first shot? I would prefer to carry DA with the safety off.

Summary
    I really do like the idea of the PT809 and Compact. I am not a huge fan of striker fired pistols, they always feel springy to me (the PT 140 is my only such gun, I never get past the dry fire at the gun store with the others I've looked at, not yet anyway). I love that it has a hammer. However, Taurus has a habit of putting out new designs and then quickly abandoning them and I don't want a pistol that won't be supported. The 24/7 in one iteration or another has been out for about a decade now so I have no such worries with that gun. I know that parts will be available, and I can easily find holsters, I'm not as sure with the PT809.

Does anyone know if the PT809 and 24/7 (or another model) share parts? Can they share holsters? This would ease my mind over the 809 quite a bit. Also, how is the trigger on the 24/7? I do hear mostly good things, and by far, my PT140 Millennium Pro is (for me) the most comfortable striker fired trigger pull of any I've tried, so the 24/7 should be acceptable.

So, if you were looking for a cold weather carry gun, which would you prefer and why: the 24/7, PT 809, 24/7 Compact, PT 809 Compact, or PT111 Millennium Pro?
    Last edited by chaim; 11-11-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17477 times
    It appears that you are definitely giving this next handgun acquisition a lot of sensible thought. My two-cent's worth: since you already own a PT140 Millennium Pro and are comfortable with it, I suggest the venerable Millennium Pro PT111. There are scores of happy PT111 owners on this forum who will give me an "amen" too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    It appears that you are definitely giving this next handgun acquisition a lot of sensible thought. My two-cent's worth: since you already own a PT140 Millennium Pro and are comfortable with it, I suggest the venerable Millennium Pro PT111. There are scores of happy PT111 owners on this forum who will give me an "amen" too.
    My M. Pro is the 2nd gen DAO. I often carry it with the safety disengaged, relying on the DAO trigger pull. Since the newer M. Pros are SA/DA I want to be sure that the safety also doubles as a decocker like they do on many other Taurus models. If I'd have to use the safety (I wouldn't carry a gun with a SA first shot without it) I would skip the current M. Pro because I am getting away from guns which require the use of an external safety for defensive use.
    MilProGuy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i just bought the pt809 the thing is amazing i love it alot and was really impressed with the way it shoots, just my two cents

Member #
    Liked
    3564 times
    Handle recoil better and reliable...look at a 9mm Glock...a little more kick .40. A little more difficult to carry, because of block design, than some guns but if you can carry its a gun you can depend on.

Oh yeah, the Shield fits your bill except it has fewer rounds available than what you want.
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

On different calibers for self-defense: If you can hit what you aim at it doesn't matter...if you can't it doesn't matter. So, it doesn't matter...aphdmansoc

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    While carry permits are basically impossible here in MD, I'm waiting on a nearly new PT-111 DAO to arrive (plus the usual waiting period) at my FFL. Probably will not be able to take it until early January. Picture of it below.

Name:  pix093547796.jpeg
Views: 1129
Size:  35.0 KB
    MilProGuy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1954 times
    Amen to the pt111. Mine is the 3rd gen SA/DA w 12rnd mag. I carry it like it was a 1911, one in the pipe and safety on.
    MilProGuy likes this.
    Ancient Airman, WWII, Korea
    PT-111 Mil PRO - Evita,
    24/7 PRO DS - Sweetie,
    24/7 PRO C DS - Maxine,
    S&W 60-4 - The Old Man
    PT 1911 - Gilda, the Golden Girl,
    NRA

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    - George Washington

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MLO9 View Post
    While carry permits are basically impossible here in MD, I'm waiting on a nearly new PT-111 DAO to arrive (plus the usual waiting period) at my FFL. Probably will not be able to take it until early January. Picture of it below.

Name:  pix093547796.jpeg
Views: 1129
Size:  35.0 KB
    You're right about MD CCW permits, but that may change soon when the current litigation is finally resolved. It's moronic give that every surrounding state (except DC) are shall issue. My uncle actually has a current MD permit, but he is also an AUSA who does a large number of narcotics and gang cases and has had more than a couple credible threats including being placed under USMS protection twice so that's why he could get one.

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    I'm a big fan of the PT809 but it may be big for what you want. To answer your question, the 24/7 and 800 series share no parts as the firing mechanisms are completely different, and mags don't interchange. However, the guns and magazines are readily available. I have 3 800 series guns and a 4th on order. I also had the 809 compact, but did not like it nearly as much as the full size. It didn't seem to be as rugged as the full size and lacks ambi controls.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Sorry to resurrect a dying thread, but my criteria have modified slightly, but not enough to necessarily be worth rehashing much of the same info from my first post.

I have been thinking and made a caliber change. I am fully confident in 9mm, but in the winter sometimes the layers of heavy winter clothing can clog the hollow point and as a result hollow point expansion can become unreliable. This gun will be for winter carry, a larger gun (with the advantages of a larger gun such as more practical accuracy and quicker follow-up shots) for when I will wear more clothing and layers and thus be able to carry a larger gun. Today when I went down to VA, I took my P290 and it felt kind of funny concealing such a small gun in a tuckable IWB holster under a sweater and also under a jacket, had the holster I'm waiting for come in I could have easily carried my 4" S&W 625 Mountain Gun. So, since this is a winter gun, and hollow point expansion can be questionable during the winter, I want a caliber that already makes a bigger hole than 9mm without expansion (since there may be no expansion). Also, I love .45 as much as I love 9mm and my carry .45ACP used to be my S&W 1911SC, but as I said in my first post, I want to transition to DAO or DA/SA with no safety for my self defense guns. So, no 1911 means I have no carry .45ACP right now. So, I will add .45 to my list (definitely .45ACP, and I might consider .45GAP).

Capacity requirements vary depending upon the caliber. If I go .45ACP, I want at least 8 rounds, though I'd prefer 10. If I go .40S&W I would like 12 or more rounds, and the minimum is 10.

I am leaning strongly against the S&W M&P because I really don't like the feel of its striker fired trigger.

The Springfield XD and the Glock are possibilities, though not really my first choice. If there was a G19/G23 type in .45ACP that would put Glock a lot higher, and that is what may have me consider the .45GAP G38.

The SIG 220 Carry is a possibility, but far more money than I really want to pay right now.

My top choices right now are the SIG P250, and the Taurus 24/7 (4 versions: the full sized and compact in both .45ACP and .40S&W). I love the modular aspect of the SIG, with one fire control module (one "pistol" serial number), I can get 5 different calibers (.45ACP, .40S&W, .357SIG, 9mm and .380) in three sizes (full size, compact, subcompact) and switch between them. Each kit with different size/caliber is a lot less than the price of an entire gun, there is no 7 day MD waiting period since it is not a gun, and I can buy online without having to transfer through an FFL (i.e. getting the same gun in different sizes and calibers is a cheaper and easier proposition than with other guns). For the 24/7, I have found that I like the trigger much more than I do for most other striker fired guns. Even the full size isn't bad for winter carry (at a hair over 7 1/4" long it isn't too bad).

I'm also still considering the 840 Compact. I haven't been able to dry fire one or even handle one as I haven't seen one at a local FFL yet, so if I buy it I may be ordering online completely blind. That is a bit of a gamble and will drop it a bit on my list, but I do like the striker fired but otherwise similar 24/7 and I usually like the trigger on a hammer fired gun much better. Unfortunately, the 845 is only made in the full size frame, and the 800 series full size is an inch longer than the 24/7 full size, thus not as good for CCW.
    Last edited by chaim; 12-24-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links