Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times

PT809 with grip sleeves?

I didn't set out to buy the PT809 when I did in December. I was actually looking at the 24/7 G2. Before that, we rented an XD(M) twice. My wife liked the soft rubber grips of the last two examples, which she finds lacking in the PT809's hard plastic, albeit with ribbing and contours.

I thought a $10+ set of grip sleeves (Hogue Handall, or similar) might be a way to forestall purchasing a $600 XD(M). Maybe she'll shoot better with it too *whistle*

Has anyone tried them on the 800 series? Which models (and sizes) work well?

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    I have the Hogue on my 24/7G2C, but it doesn't fit quite right being a compact. You shouldn't have any trouble fitting the 809, but they are easy enough to trim. Of course, if she insists, you'll just have to buy another gun (even if it is an XD LOL).

(I'll come back and post a pic, but can't seem to find it at the moment.)
    a.k.a. 2LOGICL. While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    Here it is with the Sig P238. I still haven't gotten it quite right. Pachmyer makes sleeves in more other sizes, but I prefer the palm swell of the Hogue. Good luck with that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    a.k.a. 2LOGICL. While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Thanks! Maybe you can help me understand the finger grooves. My PT809 already has them. Do the sleeves come with another set of finger grooves, or do they just slip on and mold to the existing finger grooves?

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andreew View Post
    Thanks! Maybe you can help me understand the finger grooves. My PT809 already has them. Do the sleeves come with another set of finger grooves, or do they just slip on and mold to the existing finger grooves?
    The 24/7G2 is practically identical. The finger ridges are part of the sleeve, but they are kind of 'hollow' so they conform to the existing grip. To me, it seems to make the grooves more distinct (higher ridges), but not bulky. Depending on how high up the frame you 'install' the sleeve, you may have to trim around the mag release. Limbsaver is another option, and is 'smooth' if you don't want the ridges. Some have just used a bicycle inner tube. If you have a local shop nearby, you may be able to take the gun in (CHECK FIRST!!) and try them on. I usually have the Hogue wrap arounds on everything else I shoot, as you can see on the P238, so the G2 just didn't feel right. It really helps, IMHO.

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Thanks. A bicycle inner tube will cost me $6 but won't save me an XD(M)... :P

Doesn't the G2 already have a rubberized grip? I think that was the difference with the G1.

The Limbsaver is looking quite attractive right now. Now if I can find a way to buy it locally and save $8 on shipping. I'm still feeling a little iffy about the Hogues. Is there any wiggle room at all due to the finger grooves not aligning perfectly? MY LGS/range is a dealer for the Hogues, and I'll ask them if I can try them on.

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    I guess you'd have to buy the whole bike (or two).

The G2 is the same, hard poly as the 800's, and while it fit my hand well, I didn't think it was as 'comfortable', and non-slip as I like. Mine is so tight, there is ZERO wiggle room. Even with the .45 recoil, I've never had a grip issue. I also have one on my Ruger SR9C, and no problems there either.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    I have a Hogue on my 845. There's a picture here:
    Tritium sights for my PT 809

Fits great and is less "slippery when wet". It does add some thickness to the grip. Also, I've had it on with the small and the medium backstrap (BIG thanks to SargeDog!!!). Haven't tried with the large.

Member #
    Liked
    842 times
    I use the Pachmayer grip made for for the Glock 17/22 3rd gen that have cutouts to accommodate finger groves. Fits like a glove.

THREE TYPES OF PEOPLE YOU MEET IN LIFE:
    -THOSE WHO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WATCH THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WONDER WHAT HAPPENED!!!

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    To summarize, the following fit the 800 series well:

• Hogue Handalls (full size)
    • Pachmayr Grip Gloves (# 05164)
    • Limbsaver Pro, large full (# 12011) with no finger ridges

All of them are about $10++.

I now have a shopping list to take to my LGS. Thanks everyone!

Mod: Maybe we can change the title and sticky it for 800 series owners looking for grip sleeves?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links