Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: NIB PT99 *from 1990* Questions

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

NIB PT99 *from 1990* Questions

Hi guys (and gals), I just joined the forum because I just picked up a new pistol and don't know much about it (history-wise). It's a PT99 AF from 1990 (Taurus serial# look-up) and it was sold to me (and confirmed by an independent dealer) as "never fired". It's nickel-satin finished with wood grips and does not have a de-cocker. I can't bring myself to fire it yet until I answer some questions and I figured - "Go with people who know". My questions are as follows:

1. Is this collectible? I've heard many gun-snobs say "Well there ain't no Taurus Collectors..." when talking up their brand and talking Taurus down but there's (apparently LOL) a whole forum for Taurus enthusiasts!

2. If it is collectible, how much will I do to the value if I *do* shoot it?

3. (The big question) How much is it worth? I know that's a "loaded" question (pun intended) but I'd just like to know if I got a good deal or a GREAT deal. An aproximate range would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    1136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefjon View Post
    Hi guys (and gals), I just joined the forum because I just picked up a new pistol and don't know much about it (history-wise). It's a PT99 AF from 1990 (Taurus serial# look-up) and it was sold to me (and confirmed by an independent dealer) as "never fired". It's nickel-satin finished with wood grips and does not have a de-cocker. I can't bring myself to fire it yet until I answer some questions and I figured - "Go with people who know". My questions are as follows:

1. Is this collectible? I've heard many gun-snobs say "Well there ain't no Taurus Collectors..." when talking up their brand and talking Taurus down but there's (apparently LOL) a whole forum for Taurus enthusiasts!

3. (The big question) How much is it worth? I know that's a "loaded" question (pun intended) but I'd just like to know if I got a good deal or a GREAT deal. An aproximate range would be great.

Thanks in advance!
    Its worth something. Personally speaking, it is my observation that no firearm made in the last 20 years by ANY company has 'collectors value'...unless its unfired.

Id safe queen that PT99, buy another one for everyday use, and wait until the day comes when the polymer revolution is complete and the only metal framed guns on the new weapon market are rifles.
    Here's a thought: what if Adam Lanzas mom had a CCW?

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."-James Thurber
    “Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”: Who watches the watchmen?-Juvenal

"Get out on the range! You can't call the weather for a gun fight! First relay on line!"-Jeff Cooper

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Have any pictures?
    Johnnie F. - recovering Statist
    ----------------------------------------------
    Have you read TheTruthAboutGuns.com today?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9983 times
    OK, I'll chime in and go against the "Safe Queen it" answer. While it maybe unfired, not equipped with the decocker but is a pretty finished polished attractive end product. There were thousands of these produced and placed in the hands of the public. With so many of this model out there, while not common to be found as a new in box gun, I don't think this would justify it as a rare collectable firearm. An older model, first edition of a later improved extreemly popular gun yes....Safe Queen well I don't feel as such.

A collector gun is only worth as much as the next owner is willing to pay for it, not the current owner is willing to sell it for.
    Unless you purchased the gun as an investment and got it at a good price, I would go enjoy the gun and be proud of showing it off. If you did purchase the gun as an investment at a great price and can turn it now for a profit, I would start listing it and take what the market will bear now.
    Taurus is not a gun that will be found on the list of very many collectors. It hasn't been until very recent years that Taurus has been able to shed off the some of the old adage of being an cheap, import, poor quality, inferior firearm.

While those of us here on the forum know that not to be the truth, it is hard to fix stupid with in the masses of ill informed people.

As an owner of a PT-92, 100, 101P, 940, (2) 945, 938, Sig 2022 .40 and Beretta 96 one of the features I like is the de-cocker feature of the pistol. If given a choice between two like pistols, one with and one with out the de-cocker...I would go with the de-cocker. I like the ability to carry a loaded magazine with a chambered round, hammer decocked and manual safety on the slide in place. But, then hay that's just me...keep in mind that my opinion and $5 will get you a cup of coffee now days.

Member #
    Liked
    1136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    OK, I'll chime in and go against the "Safe Queen it" answer. While it maybe unfired, not equipped with the decocker but is a pretty finished polished attractive end product. There were thousands of these produced and placed in the hands of the public. With so many of this model out there, while not common to be found as a new in box gun, I don't think this would justify it as a rare collectable firearm. An older model, first edition of a later improved extreemly popular gun yes....Safe Queen well I don't feel as such.

A collector gun is only worth as much as the next owner is willing to pay for it, not the current owner is willing to sell it for.
    Unless you purchased the gun as an investment and got it at a good price, I would go enjoy the gun and be proud of showing it off. If you did purchase the gun as an investment at a great price and can turn it now for a profit, I would start listing it and take what the market will bear now.
    Taurus is not a gun that will be found on the list of very many collectors.
    I would agree and extend this by stating that while Taurus isn't considered a 'safe queen' sort of firearm, neither is any other modern Semi-auto.An unfired Beretta 92FS Inox might fetch a nice price at a gun show or internet auction, but that's not because its a collectable weapon.Even weapons such as rare Smith and Wesson 4505's or 1076 FBI specs do not fetch a great deal of money today and those guns were made between ten and 20 odd years ago.

Keep that Taurus stored and unfired, admire it from time to time, and buy and beat up another gun.The saying does go that if you like a certain kind of gun ...buy two of them.
    Here's a thought: what if Adam Lanzas mom had a CCW?

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."-James Thurber
    “Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”: Who watches the watchmen?-Juvenal

"Get out on the range! You can't call the weather for a gun fight! First relay on line!"-Jeff Cooper

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3703 times
    I would go with the "shoot it" group. Unless it truly pleases you to keep it unfired. As was mentioned, there were tens of thousands of these guns made. I own a 1980's era PT92, blued, without decocker. It has well over 25K of rounds through it, so far. I use it to teach.

Other than the usual wear that appears on the barrel after a couple of hundreds of rounds, it's not showing much wear at all.

Whether you like the decocker, or not, the feature is particular to the era of manufacture. I was raised to shoot the 1911, so cocked-and-locked bothers me not a bit. I've never had an ND in over 50 years of shooting that was caused by the hammer slipping while manually decocking a gun.

Collector's value is a funny thing. It's almost regional. In some places, a Remington Nylon 66 is just another $100.00 used .22, in others, in the Mid-West, for example, it could approach $400.00. As long as the PT92 is produced, collector value is going to be minimal.

Member #
    Liked
    2038 times
    I don't see a PT99 becoming a real valuable collector to a broad market down the road. I have a PT99SS thats about the same vintage as yours. Mines a shooter. You'll have to decide on yours. As to price? I'd guess you could buy one unfired for around $400.
    Last edited by Laker; 11-29-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    Old age isn't for sissy's!!
    Don't give up the ship!! Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    Due to the rising cost of ammo. A warning shot will NOT be fired!!

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    3588 times
    IMO, guns you buy and don't plan on shooting should sit on display in cases or on walls. That way, even if you get the desire to use it one day you can just admire it from a distance and just decide 'Bah, I'm not going through all that work to take that out of there.'. If you want to shoot it, need to shoot it, and just HAVE to shoot it....... GO OUT AND SHOOT IT ALREADY!!! LOL!!! This should be a range report thread and not a to shoot or not to shoot thread. Personally, I prefer shooters. There's more appreciable beauty in a weapon doing what it was made for over and over again without losing reliability and confidence in its abilities.

I have old guns, but by no means consider them collectable to anyone but me. Until they stop making ammo in that size, I won't consider it anything but a shooter. I want to get my Grandfather out to the range with me to run his old September 1948 Remington Score Master 511 .22. That old girl shoots beautifully, and now that we've found the magazine we don't have to hand load single rounds into it. The bolt runs smooth with no wobble, strong wood stock, and the barrel is perfect length for accuracy at 50 yards. Would someone else like to have it other than me? Probably. Would someone else appreciate it in a way that is the same as mine? Probably not. My Mosin-Nagant is older than that and has become my best long gun with long range power. I keep ammo in stock to take her out to the range, and can land on paper with good hits at 100 yards away using the original iron sights. I know that gunlike the back of my hand..... hmm? When did that get there?

Oh well, anywho.... by the back and forth a subject like this presents, the final decision will always be up to you. We all love our guns for different reasons, and like I said before, until they don't make ammo for it anymore I'll be shooting them.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    6137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefjon View Post

Thanks in advance!
    I have a 1987 model 99 myself, of course its been heavily fired and is going to get some of it as well!
    as I think i paid about 225 bucks for it?
    don't really remember but bought it wholesale, although retail wasn't a lot more then!
    and as how there have been thousands upon thousands of 92 &99 produced i think its ever being a collectors gun is pretty much Nil, now a unfired 92/99 would be of some more interst to a buyer but certainly would not catapult it into collectors status!
    A used 99 here brings about 325-350 in great condition, if you shoot the gun i would imagine that it would likely bring about 325-350!-LOL
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Thanks guys!

Thanks for all the input and advice! I'm still pretty new to shooting and REALLY new to buying and trading firearms. When I bought her, I was trading +cash for a SW 669 and happened to ask how much the 99 was. I took it for 350, thinking 2 things: 1. I've always loved the looks of the Beretta and 2. @350 I figured if it was worth more, I could use the "equity" and trade up for something else (I have a LOT of "needs", and an XL pistol isn't one atm). It's nice to know it's worth what I gave for it, at the least. I didn't really have $ to spend on a second pistol, but she is so beautiful. I'm so conflicted! I think I'm going to put her up FS/FT at *MY* price and if she doesn't sell in a week, keep her and shoot her. There's a really good chance y'all will be getting a range report next week! Also, here are pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    MilProGuy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links