Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taurus PT-100 vs Beretta 96

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9644 times

Taurus PT-100 vs Beretta 96

Getting ready to head down to the ranch and do a little comparision between the PT100 and the Beretta 96. Should be a good time comparing the two.
    I'll report what I find later today.
    Also taking along a PT-92, S&W659, and a Sig P250 subcompact .40 that I have yet to fire.
    Long_Shot likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9644 times
    OK here is a report on between the two...Taurus Pt-100 and Beretta 96. Both stainless finish and of course both .40S&W.

Side by side almost identical weapons, with each clip loaded with 10 rounds the Taurus feels as if I may weigh an oz. or two heavier. Finish between the two pretty equal, the Taurus was bright polish finish, the Beretta a combination of polish and matt finish stainless. No sure, but could be the Beretta is an aluminum lower with stainless slide, which could also account for the slight feel in weight.

As for jacking the first round in the chamber, the Taurus has a much more stiff pull than the Beretta. The Beretta is a easy, smooth pull of the slide, keep in mind that the Beretta may have had a few hundred rounds through it were as the Taurus was brand spanking new out of the box.

Trigger on the Beretta was also much more smooth, it gave a great feel as to trigger action as to the fire point would be. The PT-100 kind of a gritty rough trigger pull compared to the P-96, at first.

Accuracy of the Beretta was also superior to the PT-100, and the sights were much easier to see and line up. The Beretta sights are two tone with a combination of red/white. Where the Taurus a three dot white.

I didn't think to take a camera to photo the grouping of the shots, which will save me a lot of embarrassment. Sustained winds of 40 mph with gust across an open tank did not make for ideal shooting conditons.

After about 100 rounds through each gun I felt it was time to pick a winner so I could do a good honest report here on the forum. And it broke my heart that I was going to have to report that the Beretta was the better pistol.

I took a break to do a little shooting with my Sig P250 sc, S&W659, PT-92, Taurus 738, and then my son's FNH 5.7, S&W 44Mag and his Beretta 9mm version of the PT-92.
    After awhile we went back to doing a little competition between the two of us...little stuff like bulls eye targets, dancing bottles across the water in the tank, floating coke cans and shooting groups of ammo placement into the body of an old Ponitac. His choice was to use his new FNH and I went with my PT-100.....did you notice that I picked the Taurus over the Beretta?

At the end of the day of shooting, out of everything I spent time firing, the smoothest, fastest, most accurate pistol I would have to say was the FNH....that is one impressive firearm in the caliber. If you get the opportunity to shoot one I suggest you do.

Between the Beretta 96 and the Taurus PT-100....I gotta go with the ...............Taurus PT-100.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9644 times
    Given an after thought of the comparision, I am giving strong consideration to selling my Beretta. I now realize I held onto the Beretta more out of reputation and manufactures name than the pistol itself. Of course in my defense, I hadn't spent any time with a Taurus PT-100 before this time. Does make me wonder why someone would spend hundreds of dollars more for the Beretta over the Taurus. Guess I already answered this question above...reputation and name brand....but this doesn't alway make for a better end product..now does it?

Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    If you find Beretta to be more accurate, smoother and with a nice trigger and sights why do you like your PT100 more?
    Go your way now, go with God, bag full of guns…

Check out my Pro Gun T-Shirts at http://www.cafepress.com/hotsky

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9644 times
    After running more rounds through the Pt100 she proved to be the better of the two guns. I don't know if it is simply a matter of a break in period for the gun or the shooter. But, after the extra rounds it was like we (the gun and I) were more in sync. The edge of the trigger smoothed out, while the recoil of the Pt100 was more than the Beretta, after the extra rounds I know what to expect and how to react.
    I do feel that in the near future the Beretta maybe on the open market.

Member #
    Liked
    216 times
    I don't know about the 40 Cal versions, But I owned a PT92 and I own a Beretta 92fs Inox. The Beretta might have a little bit better fit and finish , But my Taurus was way more accurate and just as reliable. I would say they are both high quality pistols and only gun snobs will bash the PT92.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I have a buddy with a beretta and we both are much more accurate with my pt100. we bought the guns at the same time and he spent several hundred more on his. I'd take the PT100 anyday.
    PT1911 Duo-tone
    PT 24/7 Pro C DS

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17476 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    ...Guess I already answered this question above...reputation and name brand....but this doesn't alway make for a better end product..now does it?
    No, it certainly doesn't.

Thanks for taking the time to post about your comparison of the two venerable pistols.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9644 times
    Just finished cleaning the two pistols. I was very surprised how much dirtier the PT-100 was over the Beretta. Fired the same ammo through both pistols. Granted the Taurus did have more rounds fired down the barrel. I don't know if this maybe a fit and finish issue or the fact that this was the first outting with the Taurus and it had just been cleaned before the outting. I may also add that I tend to over oil my guns on reassembly, which could result in more build up of dirt and powders.
    Another side note, after having fired a number of rounds thru the Taurus. And it has now been stripped down, cleaned oiled and reassembled twice the slide is much more smooth. Not as smooth yet as the Beretta, but darn near.

I am still surprised at how the Taurus measured up to the Beretta. I think deep down I wanted the Beretta to be the better of the two pistols. Not sure why. But knowing what I now know, I wouldn't pay the preimum in price for the Beretta name.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16348 times
    I too have done similar comparison.

During my AF hayday I shot the M9 and PT99 allot.

I always gravitated to the PT due to the safety. Both are great guns and have my respect, buy my old 99 saw more rounds through it than any other centerfire semi that I owned or shot.

If there was ever a reliable gun, my PT99 was at the top of the heep.

I love these guns!

P.S. Matt, you are the man with the camera! Nice pics!
    Leejack-TexasAviator 2016.... Setting Americans Free! ... I'm Leejack and I approve this message.

Sleep tight tonight, your United States Air Force is on duty! ............... 85 Rocks!

Remember The Alamo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links