Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rifleshooter

Thread: PT 809C initial impressions, measurements, and pictures

Member #
    Under the unconstitutional skies of Northern Colorado.
    Liked
    3865 times

PT 809C initial impressions, measurements, and pictures

Some initial impressions, photos and measurements of the Taurus Model PT809C compact, hammer-fired semi-auto:

The Taurus PT-809C is a locked-breach, semi-automatic 13+1-round handgun fashioned after the 24-7 OSS handgun. It has a light polymer frame and a steel slide. Most of these firearms are striker-fired, and offer the operator a chance for a second "snap" at a hard-primered cartridge through double-action reset. This particular pistol is fitted with an (unobtrusive, but still available) hammer and a conventional double-action/single-action trigger.

I bought this Taurus on a lark. I had a PT-1911 handgun which suffered the famous "ambidextrous safety breakage problem" 33 rounds into its lifespan. That weapon, repaired almost instantly under Taurus' legendary lifetime warranty, never suffered a failure of any kind into the 800-900 rounds fired afterward. It was singularly reliable and phenomenally accurate. I sold that handgun to fund the purchase of a Springfield XDm, a perfectly servicable but otherwise dull firearm, relentlessly devoid of character. I sold the XDm to try this Taurus. Frankly, I buy and sell a lot of guns because I am more interested in trying different shooters out then I am in "building a collection."

I placed an order with Jet Guns off Gunbroker on Friday of last week, and the weapon arrived at my gun dealer in amazingly short order - 4 business days total. Jet Guns seems to respond to customer inquiries by rapidly shipping your handgun to your dealer, instead of dawdeling around returning emails or phone calls. Speedy service rarely needs an explanation! The price was $339 + $4 insurance - $343 shipped plus FFL transfer of $15. I had thought about buying an H&K USP Compact but the thought of spending less than half of that amount on this neat little Taurus with it's unique personality was more appealing to me.

Opening the nice polymer case Taurus provides is a quality experience. The latches are nicely machined and the foam lining and cutouts prevents shifting of the contents. Presentation is very logically organized and neat. It's 10x better than the case in which my PT1911 arrived - nearly as nice as the legendary Springfield Armory cases and accoutrements.

By boltstop at 2011-09-02

The pistol itself is a stunner. The overall shape is forward-leaning and athletic. The grip is flat-sided, with ergonomic curves and molded surfaces to enhance the operator's grip. Slide serrations are beautifully beveled into the stainless steel slide and offer the operator a superior grip. The slide itself is quite narrow at the top; it measured only 0.918" below the bevel at its upper edge. It is only 0.998" at its widest (where it widens at the bottom to meet the frame). The frame itself is 1.108" at the trigger guard and the grip is only 1.114". The slide stop and safety jut out quite noticably and are markedly oversized in comparison with controls for other pistols. Width increases to 1.267" if you include the slide stop in your measurements. In holstering this pistol, the controls seem to disappear against your body and the narrowness of the frame versus its nearest competitor, the Glock 19, is very marked. This is a far better concealed-carry weapon as it is much less blocky. Although I wouldn't habitually do it sans holster, I can carry it loose in my rear pocket or even a cargo pocket because it is flat, compact, short and narrow.

Some critical dimensions, as taken with my calipers:

Overall Length 6.708"
    Height: 5.204"
    Width at slide stop: 1.267" (this is over a very small area)
    Width at grip: 1.114"
    Width of frame at trigger guard: 1.108"
    Width of slide: 0.998" at base, 0.918" narrow upper part
    Sight radius: 5.200"
    Unloaded weight (no magazine) 22.1 oz
    DA trigger pull: 0.745" from forward to release of DA trigger
    SA trigger pull: 0.394"
    Trigger reset to SA trigger: 0.204"

A note on trigger pull: The DA trigger in this gun is very heavy and grittier than Smokey the Harley Dude when you first take the weapon out of the case. It binds, and lets go in stages. I don't have a gauge but I'd guess it was in the 15 lb range initially, and the SA trigger was well in excess of 6 lbs. I have dry-fired the weapon many times in an attempt to get oil down into the pins and against the sear, and the pull has greatly improved both in feel and in tension. I will find a gauge and report on it later. I can sense that, apres-range, it will become lighter and much smoother with use, as actual firing of a handgun tends to break it in much faster than dry-firing. The single action stage is very short and quite crisp, and reset to SA is miraculously short and positive. There is no question that this handgun will be an accurate shooter, although I can't imagine it will ever be as beautiful as my old Berretta PX4 Storm's DA/SA trigger - this was the apex of perfection for that kind of gun.

Sights are Novak 3-dots. They are not tritium, nor do they sport a glow-in-the-dark paint scheme. I notice that the front sight is quite tall and rather thin; you can see light around the front sight at arms length. Experts say this helps the eye normalize and center the front sight better than a wide blade which fills up that gap, although I have noticed that I seem to shoot better if the dot is large and the gap is small. Sight paint is white, but not enthusiastically so. They frankly could use a brightening up of sorts; perhaps that will be my first mod - a dot of fluorescent green on the front with some white stove touch-up enamel on the rears. My guess is that these tall sights will result in a "center-mass hold" on the target for center mass hits - none of that "6-o'clock hold" business that results in huge, shotgun-esque "groups."

This new pistol design has a little sliding bar on the extractor that serves as a loaded chamber indicator; when that bar slides sideways because a cartridge rim pushes it out, the bar's red-painted upper surface is revealed and is detectable by feel as well - no need for tactical-focus-impairing press-checks. It is unclear whether such innovation may reduce reliability as such indicators sometimes do in rimfire pistols. My guess is that this is a well-tested design and will simply work without any complication.

Overall fit-and-finish of the gun: This aspect of the pistol seems worlds better than its ridiculously low price point. Tooling marks in the slide are largely polished out although it's apparent that Taurus changes its tooling with regularity as there are no swirl marks in areas even where the eye is not supposed to linger. The barrel hood is polished to a high shine; the slide is a bead-blasted satin; the roll-marking is deep and even and is patterned in a modern font. The polymer is quite good. It is not flexible like a Kahr is; I'd liken the quality of the polymer to markedly more expensive firearms. It is hard, crisp, well-molded, and with no visible flash marks.

An item of note: The magazine is virtually impossible to eject without the involvement of the weak hand. It is ambidextrous, which is odd, since the other controls are aligned for right-handed shooters. This magazine's capacity is 13 rounds, not the advertised 12 rounds, presumably because it has an extended floor plate with pinky-rest. I have worked this release perhaps a hundred times to make it easier to use, and it has loosened somewhat. The magazine rattles noticeably in the gun. This is perhaps it's weakest attribute. The magazine does indeed drop free under spring pressure; the 17 round magazine with sleeve is markedly harder to remove as any sideways pressure binds the release mechanism further. This may make the large-capacity magazine useless in battle.

As compared to the Glock model 19

A confession: I have had my eye on these handguns since they arrived on scene in the mid-2000's time-frame. I've fondled many at gun shows, admiring their quality of manufacture and their budget-rescuing price. Since this handgun arrived on Wednesday, I've found myself unable to put it down - I'm walking around the house with it in my belt, my pocket, or my hand. I'm aiming and dry-firing it and watching with admiration as the action smooths. I marvel how well it points when brought up quickly from a draw, even from a closed pocket - the weapon falls into your hand like it was made to be there. Since I've owned handguns since Ronald Reagan's second term, I don't generally exhibit Gollum-ese behaviors when I bring home a new shooter, but this gun feels like some sort of talisman in my hands. We'll see if the association is well-founded when I get back from my first shooting session with the weapon here this morning.
    MilProGuy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Very nice write-up. Thanks!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1439 times
    Very good report. Thanks.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee "Before all else, be armed." Niccolo Machiavelli Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Mao Tse-TungTo disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment
    Handguns are hole-punchers, not sledgehammers! Fibonacci, TA member

Member #
    Liked
    1528 times
    Great write up and I like the full size pics. The PT809c is almost identical to my Ruger SR9c. In fact I held it up to your pics and it looks to be almost exactly the same size. The Ruger has a ten and seventeen round mag. The only negative was your comment on the trigger pull. The SR9c has a sweet, smooth trigger. I've not measured the pull but it is as light as my PT1911 which is around 4lbs. I'm very interested in finding an 809c to pet and fondle now.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17652 times
    Thanks for posting a very informative and interesting dissertation, complete with superb pics, of your new PT809C!

It should make a great conceal carry pistol.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Great write up! It was so good I am almost thinking about finding one!!!

JimT

Member #
    Liked
    3865 times
    Thanks for your accolades, team. Please read my other post http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/pt...re-statue.html to get some feedback on my initial shooting experiences.

I think this will be a good gun but it will require some break in, and I may need to change the sights on it for it to shoot to its maximum capability.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17652 times
    I read your other thread and took a gander at the pics, and I'd say "you are in the ball park" with the little dynamo.

Give her another trip or two to the range and see if she don't smooth out.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hat happened to the pic?

Member #
    Liked
    3865 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok809 View Post
    Hat happened to the pic?
    Sorry. I sold the PT809c - no particular reason why, other than I replaced it with a gun of almost identical weight and size that I LOVE, which shoots really well.

I was never able to get the super-strong accuracy that I like in a handgun out of the Taurus. Nothing wrong with the weapon, just a combination of trigger pull and short sight radius that I could not overcome. I took down photos of guns I no longer own.
    "Semper paratus, numquam indigens." - "Always prepared, never needed."

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links