Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Angry New member with a PT-845 Problem

Hello to all, I am new here and I hope yall can help me with a little problem that I have.  I own 2 Taurus guns: a PT845, and a 8 3/8" M44. The 845 is the one I have the problem with. The problems that I have with it, I have had since I bought the gun bout 2 years ago. I have 3 problems.

#1: The Mags stick in the well. When I hit the Mag release, the mag ejects about 1/4 to 3/8" then stops. I can pull it out but I shouldnt have to, it should fall free. It does this regardless of wether or not the mag is loaded or empty, and it does it with both of the mags that came with the gun as well as 2 that were ordered at the same time as the gun.

#2: The Mag release button is harder than hell to push, especially if the mags are loaded. If they are loaded then I have to push in on the mag base as I push the release to be able to release the mag.

#3: The "transfer bar" (the bar that goes down the right side of the top of the mag well, from trigger group to action) is digging into the right hand sides of my mags, just above the shoulders of the mags.

I think I will be sending the gun and mags to Miami to be reworked, but I am interested to know if anyone else is having the same problems with another 845 (indicating a series of design flaws), or any other Taurus pistols (indicating a one time bad fitment of a peticular gun).  This is the 2nd of 3 Taurus gund that I have owned (the first being a PT-99) and I love Taurus guns for the feel and the durability.

So you dont think I'm all sour grapes, I loved my PT-99 and love my M44 dearly. They are great firearms and I wouldnt change anything about them, it's just the 3 problems with the 845, other than that I love that gun as well. It shoots well, fits my hand perfectly, and is a tack driver out to about 75 yards. If the folks at Miami can resolve these three issues with my gun, this will be THE BEST semi-auto that I own.

Thank you to all for listening to my ramblings, and to all who answer.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Do you have any marks on your mags what would suggest a high spot on the mags or mag well? Also, the transfer bar sounds like it may have a rough edge from the process as well. You could possably fix these problems yourself. Taurus I am sure would fix this for you, but easier to do these yourself.

Paul

Member #
    Liked
    483 times
    Hey Magooganut, I also have the PT-845. I had the same problem and a couple others I couldn't deal with so I sent it back to Miami. The original problem for me was the POI, I am not a new shooter and knew it was not me. Anyway they ground down the barrel at the top where the round part meets the rectangle. I don't know if that was putting pressure on the mag. when it returned the mags released very easy full or empty.
    God and Guns keep us strong!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Im wondering if the sides of the frame/magwell could be binding on the sides of the mags? no bulges that I can see on the mags. I am thinking about rubbung the sides of the mags with a crayon and inserting it into the magwell to see if I get any transfer. Also thinking about removing the mag catch to see if there is a burr on it or casting flash that I might be able to polish down. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade so machining metal and composites is nothing new to me. As for the transfer bar, I will probabilly try to smooth the bottom edge of it a bit since it seams a little raw (rough).

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been reading the "complaint department" area on this site and I am seriously rethinking sending my gun to Miami. I use it for CC and dont want to be without it for very long. They say 3 weeks over the phone, but it seems like they saw that a lot and then keep your gun for 6+ months. That wont do.

Member #
    Liked
    483 times
    Mine was gone for about 6 weeks. Shoots and works like a dream now, I understand when you only have 1 you don't want to be without it. I got Taurus fever back in 2007 and now I have several. They will make it right, just depends on the time frame.
    God and Guns keep us strong!

EBK
    Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I have also noticed these issues the first two don't bug me at all but the one that does concern me is the transfer bar issue. I sent the complete gun and mags back to Miami once already and i figured if it was a problem they would have addressed it. keep us posted on what happens.

Here is a pic of just one of my mags all three have the same mark from the transfer bar

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Is this a problem with all poly framed pistols or is this just a Taurus problem? The mags on my 24/7 don't drop free as they should. The mag on my wife's 738 does not drop free.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Had the same problems with my PT845, plus the mags. would fall out at times with +P ammo. I sent it back to Taurus and had it back
    within one week. All problems were repaired, they replaced the transfer bar, slide release, and mag release. I have fired well over
    1500 rds. through it without a hiccup. Love the 845.

Member #
    Liked
    1951 times
    Scalphunter, I sure hope your problems are not universal to Taurus. My 24/7 behaves just fine, even putting bullets close to the bullseye.
    This scraping from the transfer bar the others have is new to me but then I have always dis-assembled my guns and smoothed up every moving part before shooting them.
    Their customer service can make you tickled or ticked off, it is just not uniform, but they usually return a good gun. I've had to send in only one gun one time, so I'm on the tickled side
    Ancient Airman, WWII, Korea
    PT-111 Mil PRO - Evita,
    24/7 PRO DS - Sweetie,
    24/7 PRO C DS - Maxine,
    S&W 60-4 - The Old Man
    PT 1911 - Gilda, the Golden Girl,
    NRA

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links