Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times

PT 58HC - The overlooked .380 19+1 Taurus!

I want to apologize in advance. The photo was taken with a cell phone and thus is CRAP. But, I wanted to post at least ONE pic. More will come when I update this thread with a range report.

First I'd like to start off by saying, I had been looking at Large Capacity .380 guns. This is THE largest I could find. Also, I found it for sale for less than $385 shipped (NIB). Add in the Transfer and I'm into this gun for all of $415

You can see the 58HC here with a Colt Series 80 Mark IV Pocketlite .380... this is the EXACT gun that Sig has produced under the Sig P238 tag (see link).

When I picked up the 58HC, I compared it to a Beretta 92. The main difference was a the 92 had a longer slide and barrel, and was heavier. The 58HC seems to be slightly smaller in the grip (Width/Length) and overall seems to be a nice gun.

The DA trigger is long but smooth, not gritty or heavy (At least to me). And the SA is a short two-stage that feels easy and nice.

The safety is nice, up for safe (SA or DA), down for Decock, and middle for shooty shooty. Are all the PT92/99/100/101's like this? Decocker and safety? If so I may just pick one up!

The mags are strange because they are made for the shorter .380 cartridge and have a good amount of material on the trailing end of the baseplate. You'll know what I mean when I post pics.

I can't wait to shoot it.

More to come!

***UPDATE***

Range Report: No new photos. So sue me.

The slide action is smooth and light. Very easy to operate.

Function: Flawless. Ate everything I put in the mags. Topped off both the factory mags and it just shot everything.
    Mags: Hard to load those last few rounds (typical) My XDm gets a bit tight on the 15&16th round as well.
    Accuracy: Very nice in the accuracy department. At 25' I was shooting about as well as I can. It even grouped well at 50'.

CONS: Shot low. At 25', aiming at the center of mass (Orange oval on a silouhette target) it was hitting about 1" low (but center where left-right is concerened) consistently. About 2" low at 50'. Not a huge deal unless you're trying to shoot something VERY small at 50' or more!

I'd recommend this gun to anyone who wants a large capacity gun without the recoil or muzzle report of a larger 9mm/40/45.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SN13; 08-23-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20514 times
    After following your link I've concluded I want the Sig 238 Rainbow!
    If my shirt or jacket hikes up to show the piece, people will just think I won some silly prize at a carnival - or that I carry candy in a holster.
    Alcohol won't solve your problems. Neither will milk.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    LOL the rainbow is something allright!

Member #
    Liked
    603 times
    You raised my curiosity! Waiting on the range report!

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    You may be waiting a few days, I'm in the process of moving. Looks like my weekend is shot

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I just wish Taurus still made the PT58. I have a PT58S and might pick up another while they are still available. I do not like the mag extension on the HC models though.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Nice! Yeah I looked at those for a while. Even 9mm can be a little snappy for many smaller shooters I've noticed, so this would be a fantastic defensive auto.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Well, I had some time to hand cycle the gun and it fed everything from hst to rem umc. Not a range report but a good sign that it will feed!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2969 times
    I mentioned that I'd picked up a stainless version of this some time ago. Mags are hard to come by.

Mine is a good shooter, and the weight of 19 .380 ACP rounds makes it balance well in my hands. Can't quite figure out what I'd use it for, outside of plinking, but I have it.

I also have a PT58, the original version. That holds 13, like the Beretta 84 series guns. It has been a CCW a few times, as it's nice and light for capacity.

The machining and polish on my PT58HC is absolutely flawless. Maybe add some Gold touches for a "pimp gun"? I am also having a set of Cocobolo grips made for it locally.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JR View Post
    I mentioned that I'd picked up a stainless version of this some time ago. Mags are hard to come by.

Mine is a good shooter, and the weight of 19 .380 ACP rounds makes it balance well in my hands. Can't quite figure out what I'd use it for, outside of plinking, but I have it.

I also have a PT58, the original version. That holds 13, like the Beretta 84 series guns. It has been a CCW a few times, as it's nice and light for capacity.

The machining and polish on my PT58HC is absolutely flawless. Maybe add some Gold touches for a "pimp gun"? I am also having a set of Cocobolo grips made for it locally.
    Pics please!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links