Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Beretta 92 barrel design and accuracy?

Does that fact that the Beretta 92 (I have a beretta 90-two) barrel doesn't tilt make it inherently more accurate compared the gun with tilting barrels or does it not matter?

#########################
    Hdmi Cable | Hdmi Cables

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Re: Beretta 92 barrel design and accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by sekar555
    Does that fact that the Beretta 92 (I have a beretta 90-two) barrel doesn't tilt make it inherently more accurate compared the gun with tilting barrels or does it not matter?
    i believe one of the reasons it's accurate is because the barrel does'nt tilt like in a browning.

it does move, not fixed or pinned to the frame but it moves horizontally along it's own rails, rather then tilting vertically.

i believe this is what gives the 92 it's accuracy despite it's loose play at the muzzle end.

the gun was always ment to be used as a combat/defensive gun.. reliability a priority over accuracy where "good enough" is the motto.

it's considered pretty accurate (above avg) in the field of combat hand guns.
    however it can be made into a rail tack driver with modifications, example: putting a nose piece on the very end to eliminate barrel play at the muzzle.

another (much more drastic) modification is cutting the alumium rails to accept steel inserts (essentially replacing the frame rails with steel)

for more modifications do a google search of the AMU (army marksmanship unit) and their modifications to the beretta 92.. i believe after everything was said and done they go something like 1inch groups at 50 yards.

most if not all modifications they made to the beretta could be preformed on the taurus.
    If you can't shoot well, shoot often.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by sekar555

#########################
    Hdmi Cable | Hdmi Cables
    I don't think the 92 is "more" accurate, but simply accurate especially when compared to the CZ75 which makes use of the Browning tilt barrel/lockup.  CZ75s are considered one of the most out-of-box accurate pistols made, more so than the 92.  Reliability is likewise excellent and the majority of 75s are combat/defensive pistols and not target/race guns, although those are available as well.  Accuracy for the 75 likewise extends to the compact pistols (PCR, P-01, Compact steel). 

I will admit that the trigger on a NIB 75 can be a little rough, but 500 rounds tends to take care of that.  The more you shoot it, the better it gets and there are plenty of people that have gone over 60,000 rounds on the steel CZs.  There are people that have gone over 100,000 rounds and the pistol just keeps going.  Not only do you get accuracy and reliability, but durability as well (with standard maintenance of course).

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I'd love to get my hands on one of those Barettas that the Military Teams use!!!! I read an article that said the 92 shoots better out of human hands than it does off a ranson rest!!! Thats hard to believe but its cause of the locking block set up I guess??

L.G.

Links