Thread: PT 845 sights

Member #
    Liked
    98 times

PT 845 sights

I have not shot my new 845 yet but I was just looking at the top view of the sights and noticed that the front sight is off to the left by at least 1/32 of an inch. The rear sight was also off to the left but not as much. I was able to loosen the rear sight by using a 5/64 Allen wrench and centered it. The front sight takes a smaller size allen which I thought was 1/16 but it would not fit. Anyone have any thoughts?
    NRA Member
    NAHC Life Member
    USN 1957-1961
    USS Kearsarge
    Ham radio operator since 1961 "K7YG"

Taurus PT1911, Springfield 1911 RO

The more I get to know SOME PEOPLE....the more I like dogs.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2397 times

Re: PT 845 sights

Quote Originally Posted by goyena70
    The front sight takes a smaller size allen which I thought was 1/16 but it would not fit. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Same 1.5mm Allen Wrench the Front 24/7 Sights take. Also, if the Set Screw is hard to budge, you may have to heat up the front sight with a Hair Dryer, as it seems that some form of Loc-Tite may be used.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by goyena70
    I have not shot my new 845 yet but I was just looking at the top view of the sights and noticed that the front sight is off to the left by at least 1/32 of an inch. The rear sight was also off to the left but not as much. I was able to loosen the rear sight by using a 5/64 Allen wrench and centered it. The front sight takes a smaller size allen which I thought was 1/16 but it would not fit. Anyone have any thoughts?
    My 2 cents...shoot it before changing anything. Unless you keep the gun locked in a vise while shooting I think you'll find that muscle twitch and uneven trigger pull will throw off your aim more than that 1/32 inch of deviation.
    2-4-5 trioxin, it's not just for zombies anymore....oh, wait, yes it is.

Member #
    Liked
    6858 times

My 2 cents...shoot it before changing anything. Unless you keep the gun locked in a vise while shooting I think you'll find that muscle twitch and uneven trigger pull will throw off your aim more than that 1/32 inch of deviation.
    [/quote]

add my two cents here as well!
    why would you possibly change the sights on a weapon without first shooting it to make sure this was needed?
    are you better guesser than the person that originally installed the sights?
    OH god forbid that the gun was actually test fired and sights adjusted to print correctly!
    just saying!
    not sure how taurus installs sights but Ruger useds a laser to set them at the factory I understand.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    1120 times

......And remember to shoot the ammo that you'll be carrying. Taurus says to use 230 gr projectiles @ 835 fps in the .45 acp. That's the load it is most likely set for.
    In my PT 92, I was using a 115 gr, and it shot to 8 o'clock. When I switched to the factory recomended 124 gr, it was right on.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times

Went out and bought a metric allen set and the 1.5 still did not fit. I will just go and shoot it tomorrow and if it shoots to the left (most reports I have read) I will just take it to the gunsmith and let him move it. I am not a good guesser nor do I believe I know more than the manufacturers, but when you can look down at the front sight and see with the naked eye that it is off to the left of bore center you have to wonder. As much as I like the Taurus line I do not think they take the extra expense to use a lazer to sight in their guns (hence the lower prices).
    NRA Member
    NAHC Life Member
    USN 1957-1961
    USS Kearsarge

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

My front sight was off. Taurus QC extraordinaire.

I took it to a gun smith. He heated up the sight with a torch, and used an allen wrench to loosen the screw. He moved the sight to center it on the slide.

Mine went from shooting 4 inches left at 22 yards to dead on.
    NRA Instructor Ohio CCW Classes

Member #
    Liked
    98 times

Thank you for your input. I was going to use a blow dryer but I am unable to find the right tool. I have tried a 1/16 and a 1.5 mm allen wrench but none of them fit (they will not insert).
    NRA Member
    NAHC Life Member
    USN 1957-1961
    USS Kearsarge

Member #
    Liked
    6858 times

shoot I have no idea what size the wrench is?
    I just grab a handfull of them that look about the right size and try each one until i find the tight fit and thats it!
    then i put it in my gun box so i don't need to do it again!
    as for sight being in center line, well i would guess that there are more than likely as many that are center as are not center, this may be due to the guns misalignment or the shooters!
    thats the object of adjusting the sights is to make up for error and to allow the weapon to print where the sights point.
    so center line is not always right and more so from person to person.
    In any case a range trip will prove the idea in this task.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Links