Member #
    Liked
    14 times

PT22 PT25 Magazine Safety Cam, Spring, & Screw - REMOVAL MOD

This Thread is intended to help Taurus PT22/25 owners modify their "pocket pistol" to allow normal functionality without a magazine inserted into the small auto pistols.

This will allow your PT22/25 to function, fire, and/or carry reliably without a magazine.

Performing the Magazine Safety Cam, Spring, & Screw - REMOVAL MOD will allow your PT22/25: 1) Hammer to function in DA without a magazine inserted in the small auto pistol (this also helps when reassembly of your weapon requires a magazine to reinstall the slide to be completed without an emply magazine inserted); 2) Load your tip-up barrel with one round .22 LR or .25 ACP (depending on the model and caliber) and shoot as a single shot pistol; and/or 3) Carry your PT22/25 without a magazine or still function if your magazine inadvertently ejects out of the pistol.

Tools needed: Taurus PT22/25, this thread, owners manual (optional), and a standard screwdriver.

First: Remove the Left side grip from your PT22/25 using a standard screwdriver and unscrewing the two grip screws (your PT22/25 should look similar to the picture below with the area to be removed from you pistol identified by a RED rectangle box)

Here is how the Magazine Safety Cam and Spring operate as the magazine is inserted into the pistol (see the aluminum Cam outlined by a RED rectangle box)

Second: Unscrew the Magazine Safety Screw holding the Cam and Spring in place using a standard screwdriver (your PT22/25 should look similar to the picture below with the pistol's Magazine Safety parts removed and identified by a RED rectangle box. The removed Magazine Safety parts (Cam, Spring, and Screw) are identified by a RED oval).

Store the removed Taurus PT22/25 pistol parts in a safe location so you can reinstall them when the pistol is sold, traded, or passed on.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: PT22 PT25 Magazine Safety Cam, Spring, & Screw - REMOVAL MOD

Be aware that removing or deactivating a safety device can land you in a world of hurt if the gun is used in a defensive situation. Why? Because in a civil case, you could be portrayed as a careless, reckless individual.

Messing with a safety device might not be a problem in a (relatively) black-and-white criminal case, but civil cases are much more "gray". The chance of being sued for "pain and suffering", negligence is very high. Is the risk worth it?
    Powder smoke: The smell of FREEDOM

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Shep854, thanks for the disclaimer (seriously). Modify at your own risk and remember the burden of proof that you modified the handgun would be very difficult to prove on a used handgun but could be easier on a new puchased handgun. I don't believe this minor modification really renders the firearm unsafe...it merely allows the use of it without a magazine. I don't know how you could really prove that a magazine safety makes a weapon safer then without one. Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by iujeffcpa
    Shep854, thanks for the disclaimer (seriously). Modify at your own risk and remember the burden of proof that you modified the handgun would be very difficult to prove on a used handgun but could be easier on a new puchased handgun. I don't believe this minor modification really renders the firearm unsafe...it merely allows the use of it without a magazine. I don't know how you could really prove that a magazine safety makes a weapon safer then without one. Good luck!
    Keep in mind that a plaintiff's attorney will do his very best to ensure that the jury is as gun-ignorant as possible. He could then make the case that the mag safety was put there for a reason--to make the gun more safe. If the owner removes or deactivates a safety device, he must be therefore be making a gun less safe, so he must be a careless, reckless individual. That being the case (the attorney can argue), the defendant must assume part of the responsibility of a shooting. To a gun-savvy group, that argument is completely ignorant, but to a group whose knowledge of firearms is what they see on TV?
    I'll have to start keeping notes on cases I read about, but similar lines of reasoning have been used, to great ruin of decent individuals who lawfully defended themselves.

BTW, I fully agree that removing a mag safety does NOT make a gun unsafe!! The only true safety is between the ears!
    Powder smoke: The smell of FREEDOM

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Quote Originally Posted by shep854
    BTW, I fully agree that removing a mag safety does NOT make a gun unsafe!! The only true safety is between the ears!
    Agreed! I don't carry this handgun and I was just going for functionality (function over form). I like that this is now more like Beretta's bobcat. I believe you could use that platform to argue your point about not needing this safety since Beretta doesn't go this route. The only difference now is that the Taurus PT25 is DA only and not DA/SA like the Beretta models. Hmm, another additional safety DA versus SA lol.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links