Taurus Firearm Forum banner

PT58 Question

7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  slinky 
#1 ·
Is the PT-58 the Taurus version of the Beretta Cheetah?

#2 ·
I was kind'a wondering the same thing. It sure looks similar with the exception of the magazine extension. Been wanting a Cheetah but they are pretty pricy. The Taurus PT58 is not exactly cheap, but it's about $100 cheaper than the Beretta.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has a PT58, or even a Cheetah. I think it would be a great gun to compliment my PT92.

#3 ·
I just found a PT-58S about 200 miles from me and swooped it up for $300 in mint condition. I used it as my profile pic to your left. I have owned a Cheeta before and they make a lot of models of the Cheeta but yes it is an exact clone of the 84F. The PT-58S model I have is the first gen 58 and production started about 30 years ago. Taurus made a few different variations of the 58 inclusing the 58SS, 58S, 58, and the current model 58HC. The main differences are that the early models did not come with a de-cocker on them. The model I have hold 12+1 and the 12 round mags were hard to come by but I have found one online for $40 and at the gun show last Sun I found two for $15 a piece in a box of used mags at one of the tables so now I have four 12 round mags. I also found a new recoil spring and guide rod online. The parts for these guns are few and far between so get them where you can. The biggest problem about the PT-58 is that they are not easy to find in really good condition but they are out there. The version I have with no de-cocker doesnt bother me cuz I just lower the hammer manually and carry it half cocked when I do decide to carry it on rare occasion. I also found a guy online that makes grips for the 92C and the PT-58S the two are interchangable and I ordered two sets and they fit perfectly. Good luck to you.
CJ

#6 ·
I just found a PT-58S about 200 miles from me and swooped it up for $300 in mint condition. I used it as my profile pic to your left. I have owned a Cheeta before and they make a lot of models of the Cheeta but yes it is an exact clone of the 84F. The PT-58S model I have is the first gen 58 and production started about 30 years ago. Taurus made a few different variations of the 58 inclusing the 58SS, 58S, 58, and the current model 58HC. The main differences are that the early models did not come with a de-cocker on them. The model I have hold 12+1 and the 12 round mags were hard to come by but I have found one online for $40 and at the gun show last Sun I found two for $15 a piece in a box of used mags at one of the tables so now I have four 12 round mags. I also found a new recoil spring and guide rod online. The parts for these guns are few and far between so get them where you can. The biggest problem about the PT-58 is that they are not easy to find in really good condition but they are out there. The version I have with no de-cocker doesnt bother me cuz I just lower the hammer manually and carry it half cocked when I do decide to carry it on rare occasion. I also found a guy online that makes grips for the 92C and the PT-58S the two are interchangable and I ordered two sets and they fit perfectly. Good luck to you.
CJ
Could you post the link to the guy who makes the grips?

#4 ·
alleydude said:
I was kind'a wondering the same thing. It sure looks similar with the exception of the magazine extension. Been wanting a Cheetah but they are pretty pricy. The Taurus PT58 is not exactly cheap, but it's about $100 cheaper than the Beretta.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has a PT58, or even a Cheetah. I think it would be a great gun to compliment my PT92.
I have a PT-58 HC Plus, and yes it's pratically identical to the Cheetah 84FS (makes sense since Taurus guns are built on old Beretta machinery). Lemme tell you, I initially was looking to get the 84FS in the chrome/stainless finish, but when my local shop, and online GunBroker prices started touching the $750.00 range (for a .380??) it was time to look for alternatives. And the PT-58 HC Plus is the best alternative I could find. It has 19+1, versus the Beretta's 13+1, and I paid a lil' more than half what a Beretta was going for. Only drawback so far, I kept a magazine fully loaded for some time, and the spring tension was affected. It got locked in the gun (no ammo) and I had to pry it out. So the mag springs may not be the durable. Also disassembling the mag is a process you never want to try.

#5 ·
makes sense since Taurus guns are built on old Beretta machinery
The machinery that Taurus inherited was for the Model 92, only. Beretta had a contract with the Brazilian military, with a condition that they build a factory in Brazil to fill it. Beretta sold the plant rather than compete against itself from Brazil. It wasn't a full-featured plant.

The Model 84 uses a different frame, barrel, and other assemblies than the Model 92 did.

I've owned a Model 58 since they came into America. Pre-decocker, it has been fun and reliable. The later models had the standard Taurus de-cocking assembly. I've even CC'd it a time or two.

I bought a number of magazines before the AWB went into effect, for less than $15.00 each, new.

My suggestion would be to try to find a later unit, with the de-cocker. They also made a number of them in stainless, which usually wears quite well. Numrich Arms has parts for them, as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.