Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Re: Taurus & Beretta 92 Compatibility

hey adam do me a favor? when you take yoru hammer off for work get some snaps from different angles for me would ya?
    If you can't shoot well, shoot often.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

There are a couple pics of the hammer in my trigger job thread stickied in the smithing section. Is there any thing particular you would like to see?

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

ah never looked at it cause my 92 was pretty smooth out of the box.

nice write up btw.

um specificly looking for directly overhead shots.

left, right, standing on it's back edge.. that should do it.

never really tore my 92 apart

also if you have calipers if you could measure it's width.. and also it's depth from front to back.. and also it's depth from the tip of the spur on the front to it's back.. i've marked the area in green below.

im trying to compare this to a beretta or predecocker hammer.

it looks to be sufficiently different i dont think i'll beable make it fit.
    the spur on the front (marked in blue) looks to be to stop the hammer before dropping completely.. that would be difficult to modify a beretta hammer for that.. taking away material is one thing adding it is another.

the alternative would be the decocker would completely drop on the hammer and since it does'nt protect the firing pin like a beretta.. this might put undue strain on the firing pin block.. otherwise DISCHARGE!.

but im not ruling it out just yet.. i could tear mine apart but i loath the thought of it till im reasonably sure i can make it work.

PS: hmm on 2nd thought a small threaded screw to act as the spur might work.. i dunno.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you can't shoot well, shoot often.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Yea when you hit the decocker it activates a small blade inside the frame,not the sear, that sticks out and catches on this notch preventing the hammer from falling completely. Since the taurus FP doesn't rotate out of the way it would bugger up the FP block causing the FP to eventually get burrs and stick when firing causing slam fires,full auto,breakage,and all kinds of nasty things. I would just deactivate the decocker as I don't care for it much ,especially coming to a full speed rest on that little edge, but a small set screw or two might work. I don't even like decocking my berettas. You may know about the small relief cut on the back of the firing pin channel to help prevent cracks. I will get pics and measurements though. When I placed a 90-Two hammer on top of my Taurus hammer it had bassically the same dimensions besides the additional width and that decocker spur.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by adam731432
    Beretta Grip Screws Frame Modification

The newer PT92's consist of one skinny grip screw and three large ones. The small screw goes into the top left grip screw bushing that holds the safety lever spring in place. This small screw is the same as all the Beretta grip screws that are all small.

You can add 3 additional bushings into the 3 large holes in the frame and then be able to use factory Beretta grip screws and the stainless hex head set from Houge.
    You will want to use blue or red lock-tite on the bushings when you install them so they don't back out when you are removing your grip screws. I used blue/green in case i break a grip screw off and have to remove a bushing later. I didn't have a thin enough screw driver so i bottom the bushings out and then spun them around another 1/4 turn with a punch on the outside edge of the slot.

Be careful and don't tighten the grips screws too tight as they are thinner. You don't want to break one off.

I did the same thing with my PT100, using Hogue Hex screws. I found that even after installing the other 3 bushings, that the beretta screws stuck out into the mag well, so I had to use small lock washers to correct this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Do you know what year yours was manufactured. That seems to be a common occurrence lately on newer ones. I believe this happens weather you use the Taurus or Beretta bushings. I still think the mod is worth it. You just have to shorten the grip screws a hair.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by adam731432
    Do you know what year yours was manufactured. That seems to be a common occurrence lately on newer ones. I believe this happens weather you use the Taurus or Beretta bushings. I still think the mod is worth it. You just have to shorten the grip screws a hair.
    My gun is a new one, I bought it in April.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Links