Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Loaded chamber indicator

Just got a new PT101. Broke it down and cleaned up the grease. Reassembled it and when I chamber a round the indicator doesn't pop out. I haven't fired it yet but when I rack the slide the round does eject. All other functions seem to operate properly. I have taken it down and put it back together several times but with the same result. I don't know if it would have worked prior to the take down since I wanted to degrease it before I loaded it. I didn't chamber a round before the dissasembly. I plan to test fire it tomorrow. Has anyone seen this before?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    1748 times

Re: Loaded chamber indicator

Nope. Did you run a finger across the front side of the Slide by the Extractor feeling for it when a round was chambered?

The Paint wore off mine long ago, but it's a feature I rarely, if ever, use, being the only user of my PT92.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

While it was stripped I pushed the extractor out with my finger and it does have a dab of red paint on it. It stays perfectly flush when a round is chambered and like I said, it does eject the round when the sllide is operated. I'm off to a quail hunt today and will have a chance to shoot some this weekend and see how it operates. Thanks for the reply, I was hopeing someone might say that if I didn't get a gizmo lined up correctly when I reassembled it wouldn't operate. I'm worried that maybe the barrel isn't seated correctly or something to cause the round to not engage the indicator properly. But if it extracts it seems like it should be in the right place. I even double checked the caliber and checked to see if another brand of ammo might indicate. The caliber is correct and of course the cases were identical and made no difference.

Member #
    Michigan, the original God's Country!! (Troll, don'cha know)
    Liked
    4 times

This feature is probably the most over rated of any on most pistols. My PT92 indicator paint came off the first time I cleaned it. I repainted it with international orange metal paint, and It came off also after firing about 50 rounds. I used an epoxy mixture with orange pigment mixed in and that seems to be holding. The other part of the problem with this feature is that the indicator does not project out far enough to be able to see it well. The one on my Beretta 84F is only slightly better. It is not a feature that I would depend on.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Experienced the exact same situation. Took it to the range, fired 2 or 3 magazines and while there noticed the indicator slightly visible. After the trip to the range and another cleaning at home the indicator yet again will not pop out.
    Hope someone come up with an answer and or solution…
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Michigan, the original God's Country!! (Troll, don'cha know)
    Liked
    4 times

The problem seems to be in the machining of the extractor. It doesn't take much to push the indicator out so the red mark is visible. Conversly, it doesn't take much to leave it in so it can't be seen. I wasn't willing to send it to Taurus for the normal 6 to 8 weeks turnaround just for that. If I had other problems with the gun, that is a different story and I would have included that in my list of things to have taken care of. Like I said earlier, it is not something I am willing to trust my life to. I have not seen one of these indicators that worked as advertised.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

my 709 has one that just sticks up. Can't really see it but you can run your finger over it to see that it is loaded. My ruger SR9 has one that doesn't stick up either. I think it just a marketing/lawyer thing. I always assume any of my guns are loaded (they are most of the time) and if in doubt just do a press check. IMO not worth a trip back to the factory as it doesn't add any functional value to the gun, whose whole purpose is to throw chunks of lead really fast.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I put 100 rounds through it this weekend when the kids didn't have the range covered up shooting skeet. Everything works fine, no ftf problems, got the sight adjusted onto the target and like the gun. The indicator still doesn't protrude like it is supposed to. It does still have the red paint on it if I push it out by hand when I have it stripped down. I don't think it is a big deal either and don't plan to send it in. Thanks for all the comments.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Here's my two cents: It's an extractor - nothing more. Because the extractor protrudes from the slide a little bit (barely enough to put paint on) when a round is chambered, the powers that be decided to call it a "loaded chamber indicator" and market it as an additional safety feature on the pistol. It isn't. It's an extractor. As long as it does its job of extracting the round or empty cartridge casing, you're good.
    Anything worth being shot is worth being shot twice.

SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012

Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    798 times

Quote Originally Posted by flytierick
    ... I'm off to a quail hunt today and will have a chance to shoot some this weekend and see how it operates. ...
    You hunt quail with a 9mm handgun?

YOU DA MAN!!!!
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links