Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PT840 Problems

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PT840 Problems

New PT840 exhibited a number of problems the 1st time to the range. Two consecutive rounds in the 2nd magazine load failed to fire on either the 1st or the 2nd strike; 5 consecutive rounds in the 5th magazine load failed to fire on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd strike. Each failure showed no firing pin indentation on the primers. Also had some failures to load or failures to go into battery. Upon firing the 81st round (6th magazine load) the slide jammed open and couldn't be moved. Brought the gun back to the dealer who shipped it back to Taurus for repair. We'll see what Taurus has to say about it but even if it works flawlessly after it is fixed I'm not sure I would trust my life to it. Too bad; other than this little glitch it seems like a great gun and very accurate when it would fire.

On a more positive note, I love my my gen3 PT145 which has worked flawlessly for several hundered rounds and is accurate at self defense ranges as long as I remember to compensate for the front sight being offset to the right. I have been unable to break the screw loose so I can center the sight; I will have to let a gunsmith do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    945 times

Re: PT840 Problems

Bummer, Sir. I was considering the 809 as a possible for my next gun. Just for the hammer! I may just stick with my PT111.
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Robby,

I wouldn't give up on the 809 just yet; everything I have seen so far suggests that the PT8xx series is a good, reliable firearm. I bellieve this to be true despite my experience my experience with the 840. I think it was just an isolated incident.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

+1
    Don't give up.
    My 809 is the best gun I've ever owned.
    NEVER a problem with it yet.
    I plan on getting a 840 ASAP!
    The 800 series guns are the greatest thing since H&K or sliced bread!!!
    -Wes
    H&K P7M8 "Combat" 9mm.
    H&K USP Combat Comp. Hybrid-LEM 9mm.
    Colt Detective Special(gen III) prototype .38

War does not determine who's right, only who's left...

Member #
    Liked
    184 times

Odd that you weren't getting any firing pin strikes on a hammered pistol (as opposed to a striker fired pistol) I'm not questioning your knowledge of firearms by asking these questions since I don't know your level of expertise. So please don't take offense in my asking.

Did you thoroughly clean the pistol prior to taking it to the range? It's possible that the firing pin channel has junk in it, with some rounds firing and some not, it's entirly possible. If the pistol wasn't cleaned of all the packing grease and then the slide lubed with a good gun oil powder residue could have easily built up in the grease and locked up the slide.

The failure to load could have easily been a magazine problem, I had that problem with my PT 845 mags and had to tweak them some to make it feed reliably. And with over 1600 flawless rounds through mine (after getting the magazines working properly) I absolutely trust my life to it. It's my house gun companion to my Mossberg 12ga. It's more accurate than I am.

Oh, btw.....welcome to the forums!!!
    "The internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI."

"The nine millimeter is for killing europeans, for truely dangerous people you need a .45."
    Col. Jeff Cooper

" George Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

"Life is tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Oldster,

I thought it was odd also, I have never seen an untouched primer after a couple hammer strikes. I'm guessing that the firing pin and slide jam are part of the same problem - something amiss in the bowels of the mechanism. Yes, the gun had been cleaned a couple times; I had it for about 6 weeks before I was able to get to the range. I am just getting back into shooting after a number of years. My current guns are the PT840, PT145 and a Browning .45 DA (father of the Sig P220??) that I bought in 1980 and have put a few thousand rounds through with no problems. My neighbor, who has been shooting for a lot of years, went to the range with me and verified the problems I saw with the 840. We were also shooting his Sig P229DAK (love the trigger on that) and his PT1911 which I hated to give back (probably my next purchase).

Thanks for the welcome!

Jim

Member #
    Liked
    184 times

Definately needed to go back to Taurus, but IF they fix it correctly, and it does work at least give it a chance before selling it. It really is a great gun. But if you do decide to sell it, good luck on whatever you buy and remember to stick around the forums.
    "The internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI."

"The nine millimeter is for killing europeans, for truely dangerous people you need a .45."
    Col. Jeff Cooper

" George Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

"Life is tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster
    But if you do decide to sell it
    Oooh oooh! Sell to me! Sell to me! LOL
    -Wes
    H&K P7M8 "Combat" 9mm.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

My expectation is that Taurus will fix it OK and once I put a few hundred reliable rounds through it I will mount a TLR-2 on the rail and replace my BDA 45 on the nightstand. If it still proves unreliable it will keep going back to Taurus until it works correctly. In spite of the problems I really like the gun and don't want to get rid of it, and I don't feel comfortable selling an unreliable gun to someone that may really need it someday.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

They'll rebuild it better, faster, stronger, they have the technology...
    -Wes
    H&K P7M8 "Combat" 9mm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links