Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Taurus resale values

In another post on this thread i have stated I am looking to sell a PT92 about 9 months old. All of 200 rounds been shot through it. I have all the brass fired. My only 9mm.

Took it back to the place I bought it ($489) hoping to trade towards a 1911 and was offered a whopping $225.

Was looking at a SS Taurus 1911 priced at $675. So, if I buy it, do I leave with a $700 gun and the minute I am in the parking lot is it a $400 gun??

I am shying away from Taurus for this reason.

Am considering a S&W 1911 as they seem to hold value better. True, I will be spending one and a half times a Taurus price.

Any thoughts?

GattlinGun

"This is the dawning of the rest of our lives!"
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/smallcat.jpg

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10165 times

Re: Taurus resale values

Gattlingun - any time you try to sell a gun back to a gun retailer, or a pawn shop, you're going to get bare bones minimum for it. They then turn around and mark it up as far as they think they can, Wouldn't matter if it was a Glock, Kimber, or Taurus. You don't really think he's going to turn around and sell the gun you just traded in for $225 do you?

EDIT - What you should try to do is sell the gun privately. Of course check your state and local law on this, but you will make much more money on any gun if you sell it this way. I'd imagine you could get around $325 to $440 for that gun, depending on the condition.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    193 times

Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy
    Gattlingun - any time you try to sell a gun back to a gun retailer, or a pawn shop, you're going to get bare bones minimum for it. They then turn around and mark it up as far as they think they can, Wouldn't matter if it was a Glock, Kimber, or Taurus. You don't really think he's going to turn around and sell the gun you just traded in for $225 do you?

EDIT - What you should try to do is sell the gun privately. Of course check your state and local law on this, but you will make much more money on any gun if you sell it this way. I'd imagine you could get around $325 to $440 for that gun, depending on the condition.
    +1

I had 2 local gun dealers offer me 200.00 for a Sig P229 that had 50 rounds through it......

I had a dealer offer me 250.00 for a Springfield Stainless TRP .45.......... it was NIB never fired.

Sell it locally yourself, not through a dealer.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit Of Those Against It

Member #
    Liked
    135 times

I'd post it on this board and see if I could get any takers or go to a gun show. You might be able to get what you need to just go get the other by adding a little cash. I tried to trade a PT111 at gander mtn and thought I was at a used car lot...took it to a gun show and sold it in 15 minutes or so for $50 or $75 more than I was offered on trade.

If it is to be...It is up to me!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10165 times

He's got a few more posts before he reaches 25 - at which time he can post an ad in the Firearms section if he wants to.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    135 times

He's got a few more posts before he reaches 25 - at which time he can post an ad in the Firearms section if he wants to. 
    Oops missed that my bad!
    If it is to be...It is up to me!

Member #
    Liked
    25 times

Check the shotgun news for the current pricing for your model. Go to a gunshow and carry it around (not in the case) and just watch the offers fly at you. I did this a few weeks ago with a handgun of mine and had 5 offers within 15 minutes. Sold it for more than I paid for it.
    NRA Member
    Taurus PT111 G2
    Taurus PT945B
    Taurus PT92 x3
    24/7 Pro C DS 45ACP
    S&W SD9VE
    S&W M&P 15-22

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

GattlinGun, welcome to the forum.

I paid $400 for a PT99 Stainless made in 1989 and am happy to have found it. Your gun is worth a lot more than that trade in value. Figure out what value would make you happy and ask for it. I think you will sell it at or close to your asking price.
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,
    but because he loves what is behind him.
    'G. K. Chesterton

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

FWIW, I have NEVER sold any gun for less than I paid. Whether Kel-Tec, Taurus, or Ruger. I either sell than at what I paid, or throw in the extra mags, holster, etc and make a profit. Helps if you bought them on sale to begin with. Right now is a sellers market. Offer it on Gunbroker.com or the like, or talk it up around the range, you shouldnt have any probs since store shelves are empty, people may pay more than its worth just to get it in their hands.
    Wayne
    ολών λαβέ!

Lifetime NRA Member
    CHL Holder
    Instructor of Basic Firearm, and home and personal self defense.
    Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm
    Taurus 24/7 OSS 9mm
    Taurus 24/7 Compact 9mm
    Taurus 709
    Ruger LCP
    Sig Mosquito
    Sig 232 SL
    Kel Tec PLR-22
    FEG PA63

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

You don't really think he's going to turn around and sell the gun you just traded in for $225 do you?

I have bought, sold, and traded a heck of a lot of guns over the years. I have just never been so insulted by a dealer with the $225 offer.

I know some guns hold their value better than others and Taurus is a relatively new brand to me. Just haven't dealt in Taurus.

The 1911 I was looking at was a SS Taurus. Was just wondering if Taurus values just don't hold up? I honestly don't know. Need a blue book I guess.

I think this guy was just trying to beat me out of something. All I could do was laugh at him.

I have it for sale privately and have had two parties look. I will get is sold, no problem.

"This is the dawning of the rest of our lives!"
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/smallcat.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links