Taurus Firearm Forum banner

cocked and locked concealed? ???

4K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  taurustoter 
#1 ·

The pt92 as we all know has the cocked and locked option, do yall conceal this cocked and locked?
CCW soon!

#2 · (Edited)
I'm not big enough or wear enough loose outer cloths to conceal the Taurus or Beretta full sized duty guns(comfortable). However if I carry a gun that allows condition 1 then that's how I carry it. The PT92 is perfectly safe to carry cocked and locked if one wishes........Mike

Attachments

#5 ·
Well I am not a big guy I like a half inch under 6ft I weigh about 155 lbs, I have it IWB and it is okay, now I know I have it, I feel the gun!
Now is it comfortable, I think so haha
I do not know what comfortable vs uncomfortable is
Is it a big pain no, it's weird to explain
I think it is because I am new to this

#8 ·
I'm not big enough or wear enough loose outer cloths to conceal the Taurus or Beretta full sized duty guns(comfortable). However if I carry a gun that allows condition 1 then that's how I carry it. The PT92 is perfectly safe to carry cocked and locked if one wishes........Mike
I carry an officer fame 1911 cocked and locked AIWB and it doesn't phase me one bit.

What about when you sit down brutha? I had to move mine more to the right like a 3 a clock or even 4

#6 ·
Cocked and locked is safe, but chances are you are better off carrying hammer down with the safety off. It is still very safe in this condition due to the double action, and removes another step to remember in order to bring the gun into action.

Reactions: olfarhors
#7 ·
I carry my 840c cocked and locked. If you're going to carry this way you need to practice sweeping the safety off as you draw. And remember to keep your booger hooker off the bang switch.

#10 ·
I seldom if ever carry my PT99 anymore, never did try to carry it IWB even when I did carry it.
I keep the PT99 as mentioned fully loaded (including chamber) and the hammer resting just of the firing pin (its NOT de-cocker model).
same way that I would carry it if I did carry the weapon.
to carry cocked and locked is a individual choice, its not any faster than carrying it de-cocked, it simply gives you a single action trigger pull on the first shot, but then again on a hammer down all that is needed is to pull, point and squeeze for it to go bang.

#12 ·
I suppose I need a PT92. If I had it, I'd conceal it DA, assuming it was a compact model. My Ruger P85 (believe it or not) is easier to conceal than a full size PT92.

But, I'm a DA kinda guy. If I NEEDED an SA shot, it'd be because of range and I'd have time to cock the hammer.

Reactions: McE
#13 · (Edited)
Every semi-auto I carry (709 and 92) is carried DA for the first shot. There's a very easy way to load the 709 without cocking it, and I always carry the 92 de-cocked, and I carry both with the safety on. The 709 is generally in a OWB high carry holster or an IWB low carry holster at 4:00 and I have a shoulder rig for the 92.

I believe at normal "self defense" range, the difference in elapsed time and accuracy between DA and SA will scarcely be noticed by my attacker.

#14 ·
I've tried quick drawing from cocked and locked, sometimes I take it too far and decock the thing anyway. For quick drawing you have to be decisive and firm with your actions, it takes a little too much finesse to flip down the safety just the right amount.

I would definitely do cocked and locked if I could disable the decock function somehow (maybe just build up the grip panel to block the lever), but as it stands, I'd go hammer down, safety off. Draw and shoot.
Like NativeTex said, if you needed SA, you'd have time to cock the hammer manually.

#17 ·
All 900 series and 1911's, when carried, are cocked and locked. But I don't recommend it to anyone. It's a personal commitment.

#20 · (Edited)
If a person is willing to learn and practice enough with a SA pistol then it should be safe enough. Very important in 1911, not so much with modern firearms.
Knew guys in the service that could draw a 1911 and rack the slide as fast as I could draw the puny .38 the Air Force made us carry. Practice.
Knew a bad a** 1911 only policeman that jumped in the ball pit at McD's with his kid. While playing, his 1911 shot him in his bad a** and his leg. Thank the Lord nobody else was hurt. Lost his job. Lost the ability to see his kid unsupervised. And last time I ran in to him he would not even speak.
I love to shoot SA's. But no matter what you believe its a serious responsibility. I carried a S&W 4506 (.45) everyday for 12 years, chamber hot, hammer down, and the safety decocker off. I never dropped it but I swear I bumped it into darn near everything I passed. But I could pull the hammer back slightly and actually see the bar of steel keeping the hammer off the firing pin. When practicing and qualifying I started every course of fire from that condition. That DA pull never gave me a minute of worry.

#21 · (Edited)
The only way a post 1970's 1911 will fire from the condition one is the trigger MUST be pulled FULLY to the rear. Other wise there is a firing pin block. Safety off, dropped on hammer and trigger not pulled NO SHOOT. Just like my Glocks, Beretta and PT92 triggers MUST BE PULLED to fire. You can throw them off the roof and they will not fire unless the trigger pulled. Cover the trigger in a holster and keep your finger off the trigger until on your target, Good-To-Go. I only speak from personal experiences and first hand knowledge I've gained in may decades of handgun, rifle and shotgun use/carry. The biggest safety your firearm has is located between your ears. Use it and use what is comfortable for YOU.............carry always and be safe............Mike

I stand corrected: The '70 series design 1911's do not incorporate the firing pin block that Colt designed in for their '80 series 1911 pistols. Many brands of 1911's Do Not have the block so any carry with a round up the pipe could lead to a discharge if dropped.

#22 ·
The only way a post 1970's 1911 will fire from the condition one is the trigger MUST be pulled FULLY to the rear. Other wise there is a firing pin block. Safety off, dropped on hammer and trigger not pulled NO SHOOT.
AHH, I believe that most all of my 1911s are manufactured after the 70's and most do not have a firing pin block.
Rock Island, Citadel , ATI. etc.
the move by 1911 manufactures Is to go away from the firing pin block (so called series 80 system) it seems.
chances of a 1911 firing from being dropped Is and was almost non existant If the original weight firing pin spring Is used.

#24 ·
I would have no problem carrying a 1911 cocked and locked.
But since this thread is asking about the PT92, I encourage you all to make your own decision specifically based on whether you can "unlock" it without decocking it- under stress, under pressure, under a clock (figuratively.). Not that it's the end of the world, since decocking it doesn't take it out of service, just defeats the point of cocking/locking in the first place. It may also rob you of a little bit of time if it catches you off guard and your brain has to process what happened in that split second.

#26 ·
PT845 is currently on CC duty.
Carry condition: C1
Was the same with my 92 before I sold it.

#27 ·
I used to carry a pt92 cocked and locked. I used a horizontal shoulder rig, grip angled slightly downward. Carrying cocked and locked is all a matter of personal preference. Some are for and some are against. It's all in your comfort level. Hope this helps.:)

#28 · (Edited)
Devil's advocate for a moment: You are pointing a single-action pistol (DA removed from the equation) at your femoral artery and your source of happy-joyjoy-fun-times. Yes, it is locked but you are putting a lot of faith in that lock, and you are defying the first rule of gun safety. If that safety clicks off, you are about 3lbs or 3mm away from an unhappy ending. Maybe that doesn't bother you. Hey, if it had a grip safety like a 1911, I might be willing to chance it. But then again, sometimes a little prudence goes a long way in the realm of self-preservation.

#32 ·
I have plenty of experience carrying both the 1911 and HiPower cocked and locked.
when I bought a '97 PT92AF, I noticed that it was pretty easy to knock that safety off. Being wide and ambidextrous, the safety easily gets brushed off.
i experimented using an empty chamber and a couple different holsters. With the safety applied before holstering, when the PT92 was drawn, the safety was almost always off.
So, with my PT92, carrying cocked and locked is not an option. The safety works great for use while the pistol is in hand...just not for holster carry.
i just treat is as a decocker, relying on DA for carry...exactly like the Beretta 92 I owned previously.

#33 ·
As this is the taurus version of the M9 how does the military train to carry?

#35 ·
The M9 cannot be carried cocked and locked. Engaging the safety automatically lowers the hammer on that particular firearm.

#36 ·
The 'first shot' moves for "cocked-and-locked" vs. "de-cocked-and-locked" are identical- 1. Draw 2. Clear the safety lever 3. (After target acquisition, of course), Pull trigger.

The only difference is a SA or DA trigger pull on the initial round. Admittedly, that may be a major consideration for you...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.