Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Silencer for PT92

OK so I'm a gun nut, whatever...I'll live with it (very happily by the way).

I want to silence my PT92, nothing practical, just because I can.

Does anyone make a barrel/silencer combo for the PT92?

Does anyone have any experience with a silenced PT92.

Pictures, discussion...please.

I saw the Beretta 92 silenced, about $800 + the $200 transfer fee just for the suppressor; that's at bit steep. Something in the $500-$600 range would be reasonable.

I know there are lots of .22 choices...P22 Walther, Ruger...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Re: Silencer for PT92

Did you watch the outdoor channels Wednesday at the range line of shows this week? One of the shows was all about some big silencer shoot off in Lavonia, Georgia. They talked about how you have to pay the $200 fee for the stamp to have a silencer and fill out the paper work. They had a silencer on a browning high power. The guy who put it on said he was surprised it worked so good because usually you have to replace the recoil spring and tweak a 9mm to get it function with a silencer. He said 45s take silencers better. They had companies there that make the gun and silencer an integral unit. Very cool. The guns look like they have a reallly heavy barrel, but the silencer is just built into the gun. I had read on the internet that to have a silencer that along with the $200 stamp you had to have the cheif law enforcement officer of your area sign off on the form, but They never said anything about that on this show. There was a whole bunch of people with snipper rifles and machine guns with silencers on them.
    Right Meow?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Yep, Wednesday nights around here is 'kick their butt and shoot-em up TV' it's awesome for new stupid ideas; like silencers for PT92's. I don't know which show has the scarier hosts, the dudes on 'Best Defense' look like out of 'real work' merc's and 'Mike Bane' just looks a bit too into this stuff.

Nonetheless, I think the $200 is standard stuff for class 3 stuff. Most states will let you have just about anything. The chief law officer isn't a problem, he lives right next door to me...and he's a gun nut; I had him do my finger prints for my CCW permit.

They did say on the show that 9mm's were a bit touchy as they don't have enough pressure to throw the action, once they have been suppressed. That's why I'm interested in finding someone that actually did it.

I did find a web site today, that had the complete guide to acquiring a silencer; about $200 for a .22 and the $200 for the ffl 3 http://www.revelationarms.com/suppressors-how.html

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

BTW, just noticed Northern Wisconsin...we're between Milwaukee and Madison...howdy neighbor!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

Some States allow suppressors, others don't. Minnesota doesn't otherwise I'd have had one for years already.

I'd think that the bit about having the local chief law enforcement officer sign off is probably a local/State law.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by rmueller
    BTW, just noticed Northern Wisconsin...we're between Milwaukee and Madison...howdy neighbor!
    I'm north of Eau Claire. The woman and I like to get down to Milwaukee couple times a year and watch the Brewers. I have quite a few relatives in the Waukesha area. That was a really helpful link. I was under the impression that the chief law enforcement officer could flat out deny to sign the form. But from that website it seems like he just signs it and it is up to the feds to decide who gets what. I didn't reallize that some states are ok with suppressors and some aren't.
    Right Meow?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Aside from the legal hassles to have one, with a 9mm, you have to use sub-sonic loads to have it work right.

It's a lot of hassle and work for a toy....I mean GOD help you if you used it to defend yourself, I could just see you trying to explain why you has a silencer on a pistol that you were not the aggressor.

Not to mention all the fun an attorney would have with you in Civil court.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Bookworm63

All I want is a suppressor to dampen the report from firing. I sort of live back in the sticks on private property, and want something so that I can plink in my backyard without attracting attention.

Member #
    Liked
    431 times
    I think a silencer is a great idea. Any fire arm discharged in a bed room for self defense is likely to really hurt the ears. I say you need a silencer because if you ever had to use it you would want you wifey to have hearing damage. Heck if she can't hear how can she know when to bring in the beer?
    Here2serve

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I have a SilencerCo Osprey .45 suppressor that I use on my PT 917CS. Since it is a compact model, I got a full size PT-92 barrel and had it threaded to 1/2x28 by my local gunsmith (he is also a machinist as his day job). The Osprey comes with what's called a Nielson device which allows it to be used on tilt barrel pistols. It also has available various thread adpaters for different calibers, and an adapter for fixed barrel applications. I use this on my setup, along with 147gr subsonic ammo and it works very well. Another good can for centerfire pistols is called the TiRant by a company called ACC, which can be taken apart to be cleaned. Either of these is considered by many to be the best suppressors available for centerfire handguns.

The extra 1/2" of length on the PT-92 barrel was just perfect for use in the PT-917, so I didn't have to get a special extended barrel or have any special adapters made to get this to function. There are a number of companies that will extend & thread standard barrels for use with suppressors, making certain that the threads are centered to the bore (this is extremely important so the bullets don't touch a baffle or endcap on the suppressor, alignment can be very touchy). Adco & Tornado Technologies are two of the most popular and trusted suppressor threading shops out there, though there are others.

What ever the case, this is not a cheap proposition. If you want to do this, be ready to spend the money to do it right. One very good (free) resource for suppressor information and the legalities involved is in the Armory forum on AR15.com.
    Proud member of NRA (Benefactor), GOA (Life), & USCCA

PT-25
    PT-917cs
    Model 94 Revolver
    So far...

Links