Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: .22 Rifle, What to buy?

Member #
    Liked
    2039 times
    I have two Remington 597's. One is a factory custom target model with a bull barrel and thumbhole stock, the other is a plain jane with iron sights. The plain one sits by the back door for "critter" elimination! They are both very accurate and have been reliable. I have a few 30 round magazines for them.
    chicharrones likes this.
    Old age isn't for sissy's!!
    Don't give up the ship!! Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    Due to the rising cost of ammo. A warning shot will NOT be fired!!

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5823 times
    I would get the Marlin M60. I have had mine for nearly 25-years and it still works great. Best of all, the M60 is quite easily dismantled for easy cleanup. As far as your lost Tube Mag Rod, heck, kids lose things. I lost the keys to my car one time, I still kept the car. Also, the Marlin holds 17+1. I also have a702 Plinkster with 2/10-round mags. It is a great shooter but limited on mag size and it sucks to clean.
    Last edited by CB236; 03-18-2013 at 08:32 AM.
    Saint21282 and chicharrones like this.
    NRA Member
    CWP Florida
    FairTax Supporter

Member #
    Liked
    1719 times
    I have an older Winchester Mod 94-22, a Marlin Mod 60 Glenfield and a Ruger 10-22. It would be between the Winchester and the Ruger as to which I prefer. The Winchester has had probably 100,000+ rounds through it and still functions like new and the Ruger is just plain fun to shoot.
    Character and Ethics count, don't leave home without them. Or your CCW!

Member #
    Liked
    11383 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
    Whaaaa????

If you mean, "what is it"? It's my Beretta Neos Carbine conversion for a Neos pistol. One 10-round mag in the grip and Four 10-round mags in the bag in the stock. I took off the red dot and put it on my daughter's .22 LR rifle. I like the Beretta better with the standard issue aperture sight.

Basically, it turns an inexpensive pistol into an expensive "toy". Below is my old review. The photos aren't there anymore, though.
    Neos Carbine Kit - pics and review

I think I'll finally let my daughter shoot it this Spring. She'll probably love it.
    No no - cool gun for sure but I was still laughing over the point that the gun sinks. Not something that makes the press release, eh?!?!
    chicharrones likes this.
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
    Noam Chomsky

Member #
    Liked
    6908 times
    I'll have to add another vote for the Marlin 60. It is by far my favorite rifle ever.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." - Thomas Jefferson

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it…” - U.S. Declaration of Independence

"Amendment II. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free
    state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

http://csagov.org/

http://deovindice.org/

Member #
    Liked
    21594 times
    I like my Rossi (now branded Taurus) M-62 take down Pump Carbine.

It holds 12+1 rounds of .22 LR, but will also handle .22 longs & .22 shorts.

Turn the take down knob on the left side of the receiver and it breaks down into two 16" pieces easily stowed in a back pac, truck or canoe.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I like the Marlin model 60. I dont feel like I need all the tacticool accessories and mine is very accurate.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    That's my way of thinking too.....never owned 10/22 but have shot one that my buddy had, but like my M60ss better.....
    Member of NRA, NAHC & GOA .....

Member #
    Liked
    11715 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint21282 View Post
    one thing on reloading tubular .22 rifles is to take an arrow shaft, cut it to the length of your tube, cap it off and throw 14 rounds in it, and it makes a sweet speed loader!! ok i am done i promise
    GREAT idea!!! Thanks!!!
    Saint21282 likes this.
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!

Maryland is for Crabs!

Member #
    Liked
    11715 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
    Whaaaa????

If you mean, "what is it"? It's my Beretta Neos Carbine conversion for a Neos pistol. One 10-round mag in the grip and Four 10-round mags in the bag in the stock. I took off the red dot and put it on my daughter's .22 LR rifle. I like the Beretta better with the standard issue aperture sight.

Basically, it turns an inexpensive pistol into an expensive "toy". Below is my old review. The photos aren't there anymore, though.
    Neos Carbine Kit - pics and review

I think I'll finally let my daughter shoot it this Spring. She'll probably love it.
    Although we like our Neos - it tends to sit in the safe while we shoot our revolvers. This conversion kit looks like something that might be fun for me to give DH - and to bring our Neos out to play!! I'll go to your review - thanks so much!

a few minutes later.....: OK Chicarrones - now I really want one of these conversion kits after reading your review - sounds great for ME since the length of pull is short, but the only problem is - like everything else - there aren't any to be had right now! Whaaaaa!!!

So - in the meantime I got myself a new to me Remington model 34 bolt action tube fed 22 rife (mfgd between 1932-1935) that DH just put a Marble Arms fiber optic front sight and a target rear sight on for me - and we are taking it to the range tonight (for Valentine's) to see if I can actually see the front sight now! If these new sights work, then I'm going to work on the stock a bit to pretty it up. Even when I can't see the front sight very well, this little ol' Remington is a great rifle - repeatably accurate (regardless of whether or not you can actually see the target you are shooting at!) Old guns for old people!!!! Doncha' think a Neos conversion carbine would be great or my collection next to this oldie??

Name:  Remington 34.jpg
Views: 10916
Size:  535.1 KB
    Name:  Rmington 34 new Marbles front sight.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  426.2 KB
    Name:  Remington 34 Mrble ARms target rear sight.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  698.4 KB
    Last edited by Sekol; 02-14-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    chicharrones and Saint21282 like this.
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!

Maryland is for Crabs!

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    7425 times
    Survival arsenal? Sheesh....

I have a 10/22 I like a lot, stainless, Hogue overmolded stock on it. It's light, totes well, accurate enough for 50 yard squirrel hunting.

I have a Remington M597 .22 mag that I like a lot, 3x9x40 on this one. It reaches out there and shoots flat with a 100 yard sight in. Ammo is a little higher, but hey, I can find .22 mag most places, .22LR is non-existent right now. That's a bonus at this point in time, LOL. This rifle is twice as accurate as the 10/22, putting 10 rounds into 1.5" at 100 yards off sand bags. The 10/22 will do that at 50 yards. I have a 51 year old Remington bolt gun in .22 LR, a M512X, that shoots with the magnum, but of course not near as flat.

Marlin 60s are okay if you don't mind the tube magazine. Marlin makes models with removable magazines. I really like the Ruger's rotary and if you're into high cap, until DC cracks down on 'em, Ruger offers a 25 rounder for the 10/22. Me, I prefer the standard rotary mags, fit flat, easy to carry with one hand at the balance point in the field. Pop out the mag when I get back to the house, jack the round out, and I'm unloaded easier than any tube mag.

If you're wanting compact, how about the new 10/22 takedown?

Then there's Savages, CZs, Henrys, lots of good choices in .22s that you cannot go wrong with IMHO. Just pick what appeals to you.

Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links