Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stallard

Thread: Browning , Beretta , or Benelli , Which is Best ?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3418 times

Browning , Beretta , or Benelli , Which is Best ?

I've always known about Browning and Beretta shotguns but a friend told me today that he had a Benelli Vinci . Honestly i never seen one so i googled them and found out they were nice shotguns as well as Browning and Beretta . He's says' they are the Cadillac of shotguns . I have to admit i'm not acquainted with Benelli so anyone here have experience or knowledge of the Benellis' and which one is considered the best ? I myself just have a Rem 870 Pump and for what i do is just fine .
    RonLPT24/7

Taurus 24/7 Pro Ds 9mm
    Rossi .357 , 3-in.

Member #
    Liked
    1409 times
    My Grandpa and Quail hunting buddy always said if it don't start with a B then it ain't no good. Don't know how true that is but I have owned all three and they were all good guns. As for which is best I think it depends on the model and how it fits you, IMO proper fitting it the most important thing to a shotgun, if it doesn't fit then you won't hit!

Very few Berettas will fit me without major mods, most Remingtons are close and a few minor changes will get them there, Benelli shotguns are usually very close and only require changing shims and spacer to get a perfect fit. I usually shoot autos and in those models the Remington makes cheaper models than Beretta and Benelli do but the tend to be the least reliable, Berettas are usually very reliable but you will most likely have to switch pistons for light and heavy loads. The Benellis I have owned and shot will feed anything from top of the line to cheap, they never stop, also since many models don't have a piston they are a little easier to clean. In the end fit is the important thing, after that I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three.

For sporting clays I chose Benelli, specifically a Legacy Sport with 30" barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    FatMatt92 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1735 times

Thumbs up

All three brands you mentioned manufacture fantastic shotguns. In the shotgun world, Benelli is just as well known and respected as the other two. In fact, my brother has a Benelli which he purchased twenty years ago, and it still gives stellar service.

In addition, there are a few differences in terms of the action of these shotguns. First, all are semi-auto shotguns. However, the Benelli is a little different than the other two. It is inertia driven (recoil-operated, no gas in the system), while the other two are gas operated. Someone else can give you a thorough break down if they wish, but basically with the Benelli you will have a little more recoil, but it runs much cleaner, while the gas operated shotguns generally have less recoil but are a bit dirtier (gas in the system softens recoil).

BTW, if you are thinking that you might like the Benelli/inertia system, give Franchi a good, hard look. It is a cousin of the Benelli (Benelli bought them out), using the same inertia system, but the purchase price is a bit cheaper. They just came out with a new model this year called the Affinity (Affinity | Franchi Shotguns). It has had rave reviews from Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, and Guns & Ammo just to name a few.......

Good Shotguns: Franchi Affinity | Field & Stream The Franchi Affinity Shotgun

Last edited by RevolverFan; 09-01-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added additional info
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3418 times
    Thanks Stallard and RevolverFan for the info and input . They do look like very sweet shotguns . Wish i had the money for a nice collection , i think i would have one of each of the Benelli and Franchi both . Love to have a shooting round with them to compare !
    RonLPT24/7

Taurus 24/7 Pro Ds 9mm
    Rossi .357 , 3-in.

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    I never shot a Benelli or Beretta shot gun.....but Brownings- yes. I got no problems with the B's. But back in my shooting day the Remington 1100 was the poor man's Cadillac. It was quiet popular amongst clay shooters. It was my favorite for doves.

Member #
    Liked
    216 times
    I have owned many shotguns, and lots of them were "B" guns. It basically breaks down to what you prefer and what you will be using it for most. Beretta usually use a gas system, they are extremely reliable and nice to shoot, but some of the berettas can be a pain to maintain. Expecially the 391. Benellis are fantastic shotguns, super vince, SBE 2, montefeltro, etc.... All use inertia system. Which is great for cleaning and maintenance, but some may require some heavy usage with 3 1/2" loads before they can cycle light target loads. Browning has been doing it for a long time. If your going to go Browning you would be best off with a classic A5. The new A5 was just released, but it's basically a Benelli and Benelli is light years ahead of any "inertia" competition. I would look into the new Beretta A400 because that gas system shoots sooo nice.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Most Berettas are gas operated, however the Beretta 1201FP is inertia driven and internally almost the same as the Benelli M1 Super 90. Police trade-ins can be found for $500-$700. I paid $400 several years ago.

The buttstock and buttplate are hard plastic and mine did not come with the pistol grip. Because the recoil spring was inside the buttstock, it couldn't be shortened or folded. It also came with a ghost ring rear and blade front sight that was very fast on target. Since I mentioned fast...

...allow me to mention how FAST the actions on these shotguns can cycle. I've "heard" that these shotguns can be emptied in less than 1.5s. Heck, if I'll ever know. No matter the load or how high our pain threshold, we couldn't outrun the trigger.

Loads both 2 3/4" or 3" shells while holding 6 in the tube. Recoil is sharper than gas and nearly the same as a pump when using full (high brass) loads. Mine functioned flawlessly with full power, tactical, reduced-recoil and low brass loads, but was heavily used before my purchase. I've read that brand-new, they need to be worked in before they'll reliably cycle low brass. The bore was chrome lined and cleaned up quickly. The outer surface of the shotgun resembled a hard semi-gloss paint that was chipped from many years of use as a police shotgun.

A user already accustomed to the Super 90's mode of operation can save several hundred $ with a Beretta 1201FP, making it a great value. Can't say which of the 3 (now 5) is best all-around, but the purchaser should look at how closely the shotgun fits and ease-of-use.

To learn more I'd suggest you go to The Gun Zone -- Beretta 1201FP Shotgun as the author there did an excellent write-up.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links