Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Gas Pistons for ARs, Anyone have experience?

Member #
    Liked
    1467 times

Gas Pistons for ARs, Anyone have experience?

I am seriously thinking that my next purchase should be a gas piston kit for my AR or sell my upper and buy a gas piston upper. Does anyone have experience with a drop-in gas piston replacement kit, that won't require any removing of metal to make things fit? Or is a new upper the way to go? Your PROs and CONs very much appreciated. I currently have a Stag model SA-2.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    3904 times
    Alexander arms makes an upper I have been looking at, but I do not have any experience with them.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I have a bushmaster ACR that is awesome. No problems at all. Bought it used at a decent price. Price always helps my opinion of things.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Between the Trinity and Brazos Rivers in the real Lonesome Dove.
    Liked
    2141 times
    I would get the upper unless you really like to tinker and adjust things. I have an SR-556 piston gun and it is sweet. All the dirt and heat stay up front.
    btleslie and Taurus_9mm like this.
    The AR-15: The 21st Century Patriot's Flintlock Musket.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

"Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

Sand Lake 2014 TA Gathering

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    1763 times
    A shooting buddy of mine has a couple of AR's with the Adams Arms Gas Piston conversion and has had no problems with them. Adams Arms - Adams Arms - AR15 Gas Piston Systems

I'm considering their Kits for my next AR build.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    1729 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwc007 View Post
    A shooting buddy of mine has a couple of AR's with the Adams Arms Gas Piston conversion and has had no problems with them. Adams Arms - Adams Arms - AR15 Gas Piston Systems

I'm considering their Kits for my next AR build.
    What JW said. I have read a couple of reviews on the Adams conversion kits, and they are supposed to be pretty good. Some folks say that you don't need the piston kit at all, but I can guarantee you that if I currently owned an AR, I would be putting an Adams conversion kit in it.......
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    1763 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverFan View Post
    Some folks say that you don't need the piston kit at all
    Well, the term need is a bit relative and the Devil is in the details.

True the AR15/M16 design can function perfectly well using the original Direct Gas Impingement System. Problem is, that leaves in place more required maintenance and the additional heat dump into the upper and lower reciever of the weapon, that the operator must bear with. One of the devils in the Maintenance is that the Ejector and Extractor Springs in the Bolt are getting heat stressed with operation and must be replaced on a maintenance schedule. The Bolt Gas Rings also can wear. Now all that said, I have found some answers to those problems in using Chrome Silicon Springs and a three layer continuous Gas Ring, but your average AR15/M16 will not have those out of the box. The heat into the Recievers problem remains.

The better solution to those issues inherent in the Direct Gas Impingement System is to change away from it to the Short Stroke Gas Piston System in the Adams Arms Gas Piston kit or some other similar system. Most of your truly successful Rifle designs use it with a different Bolt design, such as the FN FAL, SKS, and Czech Vz58. My opinion, FWIW.

BTW, I also happen to be a big fan of the FN FAL, SKS, and Czech Vz58!
    Last edited by jwc007; 08-30-2012 at 12:51 AM.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    What about "carrier tilt", is that even an issue any more?

Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    I have the SR556 by Ruger. Utterly reliable bone dry without oil. No carrier tilt issue.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    1763 times
    From the Adams Arms FAQ: Adams Arms - Adams Arms FAQ Page

What is carrier tilt and should I be concerned?
    A. Carrier tilt is a symptom of a problem not the actual problem. The actual problem is sloppy or loose tolerances in the receiver. Our one-piece carrier combined with our bolt spring eliminates carrier tilt in even the sloppiest of receivers. For those who have normal mil/industry spec AR’s, the design of our system does not have an issue with carrier tilt. The fact is piston systems on the market vary from manufacturer to manufacturer we believe that ours has several design features that benefit over the competition in the market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links