Taurus Firearm Forum banner

How about building a CHEAP .22LR survival type rifle?

43K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  JimSheldon 
#1 ·
This probably should have been posted over on rimfirecentral.com and I may do that later, but I thought I'd share it with all my friends here on Taurus Armed.

Now, there are a number of good .22LR survival type rifles out there that are ready made, but how would you like to build one yourself that's very light (3 pounds or less), quite accurate (under 1" at 25 yards) and easy to create with minimal tools? It will easily strap to a back pack or bug-out bag and not overly increase the carry weight. It will serve well as a small game getter for the camp and back-up to whatever centerfire rifle you have planned for your kit.

Enter the Crickett youth rifle with the black synthetic stock. The reason I selected this one is I was able to obtain one on the used market for under $100 that was in excellent condition. The "out of the box" trigger pull is around 2.5 lbs and pretty clean with minimal creep and a nice break. The original sights are adjustable though by no means precision. The receiver is drilled and tapped 6/48 so a scope can be mounted if desired and for a cheap little single shot rifle, the accuracy is quite good as it comes out of the box.

The butt of the synthetic stock is hollow and there is plenty of room in there to carry a reasonably extensive kit of survival essentials, such as a zip-loc baggie containing a small roll of 8 lb test monofilament, some snap swivels, fishhooks, a 20' hank of para-cord, some band-aids and a small bottle of iodine plus one of those Harbor Freight miniature box knives with a 10 pack of replacement blades and a magnesium fire starter. Also (external to the baggie) there's room for 50 rounds of ammo and one of those individual sized Mylar "space blankets" which should be used to wrap everything in and will keep it from rattling. All you have to do is carry a small pocket knife with a phillips screwdriver blade to easily remove the plastic butt plate to get at this stuff.

Mine is still somewhat of a work in progress but is very close to completion. I'm still waiting on the space blanket to arrive so I can finish the project.

The Crickett, surprisingly is an extremely accurate little single-shot .22. Even with my poor eyesight, I was able to hold at least 1" groups st 25 yards using the iron sights (peep rear and triangular point front).

With my 70 year old eyesight, I need a little help so I chose to mount a light scope. I modified the normal Crickett mounting rail by shortening it even with the chamber so I wouldn't have to remove the rear sight (scopes do break) and first mounted a Vortex StrikeFire red/green dot for the initial tests. Since the Vortex cost twice what I paid for the rifle, I removed it and mounted an inexpensive BSA "Tactical" 4X scope ($60 from Optics Planet with free shipping and half the weight of the Vortex) on it using just the front ring.

The ring I selected was one out of a Weaver set of "see through" rings available for less than $10 at Walmart. That way I can use the scope and still be able to use the iron sights through the open portion of the ring. Turns out this works quite well. Make sure the crosshairs are level and tighten all hardware as tight as possible without damaging anything. Probably a good idea to put a drop of blue loc-tite on each of the screws and let it set overnight.

While getting the rings at Walmart, pick up an inexpensive sling and a mounting kit as the synthetic stock is drilled for them. Use the short, coarse threaded stud in the front and the longer one in the rear. If you use the long one on the front, it will protrude and contact the barrel which is actually already free-floated and you don't want to mess that up.

The initial range tests were with the Vortex and it performed well, but the 4 MOA dot made the 2" bullseye on the target difficult to judge properly even at 25 yards. I did manage to keep the groups under 1", but decided that a red-dot might not be the way to go for harvesting small game so the BSA scope was mounted and zeroed. The attached target shows the final 5 shots as I was walking it toward center at 25 yards. Ammo used was, admittedly, Aguila Golden Eagle match ammo and I haven't tried the cheap Federal bulk pack hollow points in it yet.

First picture is with the Vortex StrikeFire mounted and the second one is with the BSA 4X30 Tactical mounted. Both are mounted with one ring and this arrangement is amazingly quite stable. Hope this gives you guys some good ideas to work with. The project is easy to duplicate or customize to your own preferences. Good luck.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I like your budget DIY approach - very cool project. There are a couple of new 22s that come to mind - the key is that they break doen and each have a soft carry case that could be a mini bugout bag as well:

-Ruger 10/22 Takedown 22LR 18.5" - 10 +1, 4.6lb. with soft carry case
-MARLIN PAPOOSE MODEL 70PSS, SEMI AUTO RIFLE, 22 LR, TAKE-DOWN W/CASE, 7+1 with soft carry case

Both seem to be in short supply - probably due to a lot of folks thinking like yourself. The new 22s will run 300 or more depending BUT they are semi autos.

Marlin review: Good for backpacking...Sturdy, pack-able, light, very accurate. And that removable barrel makes it a breeze to clean. I keep getting mine seriously wet but that great Marlin stainless keeps things the way they ought to be.

Ruger:
First of all the bag it comes in, is top notch quality. It feels well made and holds the rifle, a scope, 3 bx-25 mags, and even some spare parts and ammo without any trouble and the sling feels sturdy(however untested in long term use). The 10/22 takedown really is as simple as it looks to takedown and re-assemble, and has seemed to hold its zero every time. I installed the scope rail with easy and everything else is just simple 10/22 reliability. You cannot go wrong with this purchase!

#3 · (Edited)
...OH and the Henry that breaks down and fits in the butt stock - teflon coated and made for the outdoors! http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

+1 and two mags - MSRP (black) $275.
weighing in at a scant 2.5 pounds

I may have to look at that one further!!

#20 ·
I bought one of these at a gun show at 4:45 pm on Sunday Afternoon. Guy just wanted a sale and didn't want to have to box it up and take home. $200.00 out the door. Can't get cheaper than that.

Bill

#4 · (Edited)
But, the reason that I didn't mention any of those is that the focus of this thread was CHEAP! Not 3 and 4 hundred dollar guns that may or may not be reliable. The little single shot Crickett doesn't cost a lot, and also eats short, longs and long rifle ammo (I forgot to mention that in the OP) reliably. Besides, with a single shot, you are more likely to follow the "Aim small, miss small" rule of thumb and not waste ammo when hunting.

Cases that carry ammo are fine, but subject to getting lost in the heat of the situation, hence using the hollow stock for storage. Also, storing basic survival stuff in the stock rather than a carrying case keeps it with you whereas the case would necessarily be left behind if you were out hunting so as not to get in the way.

Pro's and con's for both ways of doing things. However, I posted this as an idea for those with not a lot of money and still needing something along the lines of a reliable survival or backup rifle.

#5 ·
A friend of mine has one of those 22s. He could shoot a 22 short from them and you'd think there was a suppressor on the gun, very quiet. Great idea!

#6 ·
Jim - I got the budget point of the project. The problem (or fun of the hunt) is you have to find one to buy it. I know the Ruger and Marlin area stretch of what you were proposing - the Henry is similar as the chamber and barrel store in the stock. I see them on the net new for just over $200 which is fairly budget minded - in fact I've been looking at 22 ballistics and really thinking of having a Henry put on layaway for myself. I agree that no semi-auto is able to beat a single shot for reliability but today's major manufacturers have 22 semi-autos pretty well sorted out and that follow up shot could be the difference between rabbit stew and chewing roots, no?!

Believe me I'm with you on cost effective solutions brother! It's still a work in progress but before long I'll post up my $12.50 twin baby carriage Multi-Gun competition cart. It's mostly ingenuity, Dremel, Velcro and nylon webbing. I've had it to 3 events and get a LOT of (good natured) comments from the guys that dropped $175-200 at Cabelas for 'gun carts'. Mine has front ad rear suspension, cooler space down low for stability and is quite a sight when fully loaded - oh and I almost forgot the cup holder! ASAP on that photo shoot!

#7 · (Edited)
Believe me I'm with you on cost effective solutions brother! It's still a work in progress but before long I'll post up my $12.50 twin baby carriage Multi-Gun competition cart. It's mostly ingenuity, Dremel, Velcro and nylon webbing. I've had it to 3 events and get a LOT of (good natured) comments from the guys that dropped $175-200 at Cabelas for 'gun carts'. Mine has front ad rear suspension, cooler space down low for stability and is quite a sight when fully loaded - oh and I almost forgot the cup holder! ASAP on that photo shoot!
If nothing else, you gotta post a thread on that "gun cart". I might have been able to beat your price as my neighbor was moving and had a yard sale. There was a really nice "Twin" baby carriage they were giving away because nobody bought it. I never even thought about making a "gun" cart out of it or I would have grabbed it. Went to the dump, more's the pity. Didn't look like it had any wear on it at all. The tires didn't even look scuffed! Like yours, it had some really good spring suspension.

Come to think about it, it was really pretty sturdy too. Might have even been strong enough to use for hauling a medium sized white tail out of the woods or field but it would probably need larger diameter wheels on it for that.

#8 ·
The Cricket can be found at Wal-Mart. Often on sale under $100.00. If they don't have one in stock they will order it for you.

I think this is a great idea. At first I thought you were talking about making your own breakdown gun. I like this idea better, having a decent survival kit right in the gun. I would be interested in seeing what your complete inventory is and the total weight when done. Again I like this idea.

#9 ·
I've got an old Savage Model 24 (.22/410) that belonged to my MIL. Bought in mid 50's, I think. It functions as a good survival gun. I also have a Marlin 981T bolt action (synthetic stock) with a Mossberg 3x9 scope on it. Also has sling mounts. I think I paid $110 for it. I use mostly shorts in it. Great squirrel and rabbit gun. Both are probably heavier than the Crickett youth rifle, though. I also have a Mossberg Tactical .22 with a Tasco red dot sight on it in the survival locker. Fun gun to shoot and is great for small game.

#11 ·
#15 ·
My parents bought my Grandson a Cricket .22 when he was 2 months old. He's almost a year old now. His Cricket is in his mother's gunsafe with her .243 and the 300 Win Mag that I gave her to hold onto until he's old enough for it. I like your idea of converting it to a survival set-up. Makes good sense to me.

#16 ·
Gentlemen, when I started it, the focus of this thread was supposed to be "Turning an inexpensive Crickett into a survival rifle" not a dissertation on all of the more expensive rifles that you had or wish you had. Could we please get it back on topic?

Thanks.

#17 · (Edited)
I don't consider shooting shorts or LONGS (do they even MAKE longs, anymore?) all that important. For a "survival" .22, I'll take my Ruger Mk2 with 2x LER. It's more accurate than my 10/22, though my old Remington 512 can considerably outshoot it. But, at 50 yards from a good rest, I can put 'em all into an inch. It's a gun I hunt squirrel with. Second choice would be my even more accurate Contender with its match 22 barrel and 2x LER. Okay, they're not CHEAP and they're not rifles. So sue me. :D

I sold my AR7 to my SIL who wanted it for some reason. Light, packable, not that accurate, reliable, trigger sux. Bought it used for 70 bucks and sold it to my SIL for 70 bucks.

Cricket? Whatever floats your boat, but a real .22 ain't that expensive. :rolleyes: But, I see the worth of your project considering the weight of the gun.

#18 ·
The butt of the synthetic stock is hollow and there is plenty of room in there to carry a reasonably extensive kit of survival essentials, such as a zip-loc baggie containing a small roll of 8 lb test monofilament, some snap swivels, fishhooks, a 20' hank of para-cord, some band-aids and a small bottle of iodine plus one of those Harbor Freight miniature box knives with a 10 pack of replacement blades and a magnesium fire starter.
Hmm, well, a lot of Rambo stuff there. Me, I'd think that hollow stock would hold a lot of ammo. :D One thing I've always liked about .22LR is that you can carry an insane amount of ammo to stay alive for a long time in the field. :D A head shot will kill a large animal, we're talking survival, not hunting. I wouldn't even bother taking any other firearm unless you're worried about bears in Alaska or something.

I've always thought of survival arms in relation to back packing alone which I've done in my younger years. I never wanted to take a long gun with me, even a light weight one. I usually just took along a small, but accurate handgun, but in a situation where you're going to forage, an accurate .22 is a good tool to have. :D

Reactions: TheOldRedneck
#19 ·
Jim, can you fit a 50 round box of ammo in the stockor do you have to put in a small bag? If so how much more room do you have left? Can you post a few pictures, one showing the empty space in the stock with some common item for reference, and a picture of what you have in there now and how it fits? I really like this idea, carrying a small rifle with a compact survival kit in it.

Reactions: chicharrones
#21 ·
I was kinda envisioning foam rubber in the stock with a cut out for a CCI mini mag box, or maybe a stinger box if the mini mag box is too long. But, I don't know how wide the stock is, probably too narrow for that, I'm thinkin'.

#22 ·
Using foam would take up valuable space; I was thinking the small cardboard boxes of 50 rounds. Still might not fit, if I remember correctly those stocks are not very thick.

#23 ·
Jim,

Thank you for sharing this project, I am of the same mindset as it relates to cheap, effective survival tool. I recently dumped the idea of keeping my AR as a true bug out gun and have committed to the .22 as my primary because quite honestly, I CAN afford to stockpile tons of ammo. I also have a Taurus 992 convertable and would not have any qualms about using the .22 magnum to defend against 2 legged predators. I single shot bolt will make you a very good shot if you practice enough and getting meat for the pot should be an easy task with a well placed shot. I will be keeping an eye out for a "Cricket" and look forward to any pictures you my post.

#24 ·
Can you Dremel any more material in the Cricket butt stock cavity? Maybe there is more room to be had AND weight would drop as you go - to be replaced by more of the survival kit, of course. If there is a Cricket in St Louis - especially a youth, I'll check it out this weekend or ASAP.

#26 ·
You know that Jim is hooked up, right? He has, like, BEYOND military buying power - hehe!

#27 ·
I've been thinking of adding 22 for a while but having not ventured below 9mm (or 5.56 / 223) before Ive been looking at the CCI HP loads. They are not 22 mag but the numbers are not bad:

Velocity, ft/sec
CCI Stinger 0050 22 Long Rifle 32gr 1640
CCI Velocitor 0047 22 Long Rifle 40gr 1435

Energy, ft-lbs
LOAD NO. CALIBER MUZZLE 25 50 75 100
0050 22 Long Rifle 191 150 119 96 81
0047 22 Long Rifle 183 156 134 117 104

Both have good penetration and nice expansion. I know there are big, cheap bricks in 22 and a fast LR would probably be a practice round but a few thousand of these on hand would be nice and a few hundred would be easy to transport about anywhere. I have ammo boxes that will give you a hernia. The thought of lugging one (or more) on a woods or survival trip is daunting. I asked my wife to pick one up recently and she informed me if we had to evacuate that I'M carrying the ammo! Time to double up on gym visits!

#28 · (Edited)
Thickness is about 1/4" and the cavity tapers down as you move toward the receiver. Not room for a full box of ammo in it's box, but you can get 50 rounds in there in a baggie. As soon as I get all the rest of the stuff in, I'll lay it out and take pictures of it. Not really going Rambo here, just trying to have a few things available. There are a lot of "preppers" out there looking for ideas. I had one so I thought I'd pass it on. Major items I want in the stock are some extra ammo, band-aids, maybe some iodine or neosporin packets, the small razor knife, a magnesium fire starter, some paracord and the space blanket to help warm up if necessary. The rest of the stuff is "Put it in there if it'll fit" items.

I don't think I can find a real good way to dremel out much more as it isn't wide enough to get the Dremel that far in. We'll see. More later when I get it figured out.

#31 ·
For .22 survival pistols, I have an AR7 based "Explorer 2". It's 1" at 25 yards accurate and very light, kinda big, takes a shoulder holster to easily carry it. It's be easily tossed into a back pack and you'd never notice the weight with 100 rounds of CCI in a mini mag box. It's accurate, reliable, but the trigger sux on the thing. LOL No different from the AR7 in that regard.

All in all, though, I'd prefer my Ruger Mk 2 and 2x LER and put up with the heft of that gun. That little pistol is as effective, in the right hands, as any .22LR chambered RIFLE.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck
#30 ·
My own take on survival is more along the lines of the Les Stroud school of thought. I made up a belt, has most of the stuff you mention including the space blanket, but adds a few things like water tablets and a canteen. I have it set up to take one of several holsters and and can choose the handgun depending on where I'd be hiking. This thing has gotten used bunches of times over the last 20 years and has held up well. It was kinda cheap and I didn't know if it'd last, but it has. Got it out of Cabelas, I think.

I recently condensed some of the stuff into a fanny pack and can carry the gun IN the fanny pack. I did this for a trip to Big Bend last year when we did some short day hikes near the border/river. Didn't wanna be unarmed and you must conceal in a national park. I carried a 4" Taurus 66 .357 magnum. Water bottle quick connects on that fanny pack, pretty neat, and was cheap at Wallyworld.

I ain't into the bug out stuff, will shelter in place in the middle of nowhere Texas (once we get moved). If I was going to bug out, I'd drag my travel trailer and have a good bet do sleep in. :D No limit to firepower if you're pulling an 18 ft self contained trailer. Like I said, survival, to me, can be seen weekly on the discovery program "Survivorman". He's always striving for a realistic reason why you might be stuck in the middle of the wilderness miles from help. Having all that stuff in the stock of a gun, well, then I'd have to go obviously armed. Some places I hike, that's not a problem, but national parks require different tactics. Too, I have often worn this belt while hunting. My rifle was usually a 7mm rem mag, so no need for a .22, but I sometimes toted a .38 for small game/camp meat.

Reactions: gyro_cfi
#53 ·
... I ain't into the bug out stuff, will shelter in place in the middle of nowhere Texas (once we get moved). If I was going to bug out, I'd drag my travel trailer and have a good bet do sleep in. :D No limit to firepower if you're pulling an 18 ft self contained trailer. Like I said, survival, to me, can be seen weekly on the discovery program "Survivorman". ...
Your my Hero. :) That's my idea of survival, as long as the bed is queen size or larger.

#32 ·
Here's a pic of that explorer 2 just like mine, 6 and 8" barrels came with it. I also had the scope mount, but gave that to my SIL when I sold him my AR7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.